Small layout ideas oo gauge.

spiket4

Hi all after a recent visit to the Bracknell model railway show. I picked up a Kernow Bachmanns WR signal box and lovely model it is. This gave me an idea for a small 2nd layout to go with my main modern image layout. So the ingredients I have so far are the WR signal box, an Airfix 14xx in BR green late crest, a Dapol Crimson and cream Autocoach, a toad brake van. And a Bachmann 57xx in black late crest .

So my thoughts were a rundown late 50's layout set on an old GWR end of branch line. With a single platform with run around loop and 3 sidings running off the station throat. The space I have is 6ft x 15 inches max with a simple clip on fiddle yard of 3ft. Now should I stick to code 100 track or will the old Airfix loco be ok on code 75 track? Also any advice or ideas with a track plan would be helpful.

Regards Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if the Kernow GWR box is perhaps too large for a branch terminus, if it's the one based on Truro that I'm thinking of. Possibly a "bitsa" plan representing part of the main line station at the other end of the branch, something like the excellent Westonmouth Central, would allow the box to be used more convincingly?

There was a very good LSWR model in 0 gauge "on the circuit" c25 years ago, which stored, standing on-end, into a faux grandfather clock. That, IIRC, was based around "the branch bay" at a junction, with the viewer effectively alighting from the main-line train, to cross the platform and join the branch train.

Highly effective!

How about St Erth as inspiration. Last time I went there, it looked is the GWR was still in residence!

K

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering if the Kernow GWR box is perhaps too large for a branch terminus, if it's the one based on Truro that I'm thinking of. Possibly a "bitsa" plan representing part of the main line station at the other end of the branch, something like the excellent Westonmouth Central, would allow the box to be used more convincingly?

Thank you for the compliment about Westonmouth Central, Simon.

Going back to my first layout (after the 8 x 4 train set stage) I had a small GWR Branch Line Terminus called Ambridge Newton. It never got finished before I started sniffing diesel fumes and the baseboard got re-used as Hillside Stabling Point. However, a quick sketch plan may be of interest. It was a copy of a layout in Railway Modeller, but I'm afraid I forget the name of the original, but the builder referred to the Art of Compromise article mentioned above.

My version was 5' 6" x 19" as that was the size of 2 Sundeala noticeboards which were spare at Westinghouse (where my father worked), but the original in the magazine was only 1' wide so didn't have space for the road behind the station, and I think the goods yard was much nearer the front of the layout. 

post-5204-0-69783700-1465052275_thumb.jpg

The fiddle yard would take a small Lima prairie and Airfix B-set, but being a single road obviously wasn't ideal. An Airfix auto-train and Lima railcar also featured. The fact that the run-round loop needed a set-back before and after the run-round would have been a pain on the real railway but was great for extra operation on the model, and shunting a goods train could be "interesting". 

For what it was it was a good layout. OK, the stock of the time was limited, and pancake motors over dead frog points were troublesome, but that said it might be a concept I revisit at some point. The only real reason it was never finished was Polytechnic in Newcastle and my first job in Plymouth meant I got a good dose of real railways and with Lima churning out cheap diesels by the thousand that was the path I took.

But having revisited the idea now, I wonder if Ambridge would work with an AC Cars railbus or "bubble car" for passengers and a 57xx pannier or D63xx diesel on the goods......

Hillside

Your layout looks to have been inspired by Rev Heath's "Piano Line".

The other excellent layout for the OP to consider is Rev Denny's "Leighton Buzzard" Mark 1, roughly as below. It is a really clever little design,because the goods yard area can be developed with a lot of interesting detail. The original folded in the middle, and stared away into a very small space.

Kevin

post-26817-0-69421600-1465054941_thumb.jpg

Archived