C&L assembled switch components available separately

• RMweb Gold

C&L are now offering separately the ready-made switch units from the P4 turnout kits in both nickel-silver and steel rail (code 75 bullhead).

These are equally applicable to 00, 00-SF and EM although C&L have listed them only under P4.
IMG_0684aaa-001-500x500.JPGIMG_0702aaa-001-500x500.JPG

You get the machined switch rails (blades), assembled on etched carriers with one plain stock rail and one pre-set (bent) stock rail (hence the handing).

Other parts from the P4 turnout kits are also available, and during August they are having special-offer reductions on many P4 products, including these switch assemblies:

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=1100_1102&page=2

Martin (no connection).

An interesting development selling these parts from the P4 kits, the plastic turnout bases also look very promising for those who do not mind making making their own common crossings and switch blades, I guess with a little modification the turnout bases (they have raised pips to locate chair positions) they could also be used for EM gauge, the slip and diamond crossings may well require additional re-spacing of the timbers

I see the ply wood bases are also cut in price, but while stocks last, though as they are not shown as discounted have they not been added yet or sold out ?

I have had time to both wake up fully (working late last night)and think through the possibilities of these products which whilst been around for some time, new to the components market as they have only been available in the kits

The parts which interest me are the turnout and crossing bases. Certainly they will be very useful to those working in both P4 and EM gauges saving both time and expense at the discounted price. For EM gauge the turnouts will need the pips on the timber bases removed as would those who would like to use C&L rather than Exactoscale chairs which have the corresponding holes in them. For the EM gauge modeller the distance between the Vee tips on diamond and slips will have to be shortened slightly.

The plastic bases will also lend themselves to the method of common crossing construction used in the C&L RTR turnouts, namely using a pre-made Vee but adding the wing rails using chairs to secure them rather than a soldered construction method.

Its a great pity that track building is such a niche market, with limited sales potential at the moment, I guess mainly due to the cost of pre-made parts, due mainly as they are made in limited numbers and the ever increasing costs of running a small business. Prices can onlt fall when economies of scale do not kick in. Perhaps this is where societies could come into their own, but then that will be dependant on us modellers both joining them and buying from their stores. 

On the other hand perhaps there is an opportunity for a small cottage industry firm supplying pre-made parts and selling directly

Surely only of use in other systems if the rail section matches exactly..........

Stephen

The Exactoscale kits are designed for code 75 rail, however using C&L ST baseplates code 82 flatbottom rail could be used. So these options will match up with rail from other suppliers using bullhead or flatbottom to these standards.  

These are equally applicable to 00, 00-SF and EM 

On the face of it, I'd agree, but I had a thought--don't the blades typically have to have a longer flexible section for EM/00-SF than for P4? I guess what I'm asking is if these really open wide enough to give a 1mm+ gap for the other gauges?

Quentin

Quentin

I have been using the Exactoscale additional switch chairs which are designed for use with these items for some time in both EM and 00 gauges as well as P4, where they are joined together clearances are fine and the rail should be flexible enough to move the distance required by other gauges

• RMweb Gold
On the face of it, I'd agree, but I had a thought--don't the blades typically have to have a longer flexible section for EM/00-SF than for P4? I guess what I'm asking is if these really open wide enough to give a 1mm+ gap for the other gauges?

Hi Quentin,

Before posting I did actually try it on a set of these switches. With the standard 20p opening for EM / 00-SF there was over 1mm clear on one of them, and a close 1mm on the other.

If a wider clearance is needed than 1mm (DOGA-Intermediate requires 1.2mm) it would be necessary to open the switch a bit more than 20p, say 2p instead.

20p coin = 1.75mm thick

2p coin = 2.05mm thick at the rim.

The scale prototype opening is 1.42mm, which isn't suitable in EM / 00-SF because it doesn't create sufficient clearance along behind the open blade. On the prototype that clearance should be 0.67mm (2" scale).

2_211121_290000000.jpg

A common beginner error is to assume the switch opening is the same as the check rail gap, which clearly won't work.

regards,

Martin.

Archived