Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bishop's Castle Railway Van 24 Drawing origin

Albyn

The Welsh Railways Research Circle were given the archive of the late Harold Morgan.  In amongst his papers was this part copy of a drawing of BCR rebuilt van No. 24.  There is no further copy for the wagon end which appears to  have been cut off in the copying.  There are no major dimensions or details of the draughtsman but the van has a 9 ft wheelbase and is for 7 tons.  These vans were withdrawn in the 1920s but a body still survives i think at the former Eaton station site.  Does anybody know where the drawing originated please?post-14989-0-41986000-1475764335_thumb.jpgpost-14989-0-41986000-1475764335_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very interesting. Later the number was given to an Iron Mink.  I have recently been through all the photos in the five books I possess and have not found a van similar to this which can be identified as BCR though there are several views of vans which cannot be identified easily. I suspect that if Albyn could find no information there is none to be found.  It has a sort of Midland look about it, as do the later BCR cattle wagons.

What scale is your kit?

Jonathan

There were four replaced by the iron Minks.  Two bodies remained at BC and one went to Eaton station where I think it still is.  I think the drawing is of the Eaton van.  i have a photo of it somewhere.  Attached two views of the body by the weighbridge taken by Casserley in 1963.  Shapeways Recreation 21 will print to all common scales.

BCR Van body by weighbridge 1963 Casserlley 1.jpg

BCR Van body by weighbridge 1963 Casserlley 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1