Dapol RTR PO Wagon - Upgrade

brossard

I still consider myself new to 7mm although I've been doing it for a few months.  My experience and knowledge is growing rapidly.

I think of myself as in "exploratory: mode so, while I have several kits in the queue, and built a couple, I was curious to see what Dapol's RTR PO wagons are like.  I got myself this:

P1010008-002.JPG.c1949b7c743aab048eda12b0a46e8f49.JPG

My first glance was very favourable.  Above the solebars, it does look the part and if some of the strapping detail isn't correct, I can't tell.  Below the solebars is a different story.  The first thing I noticed was that the brakes are miles away from the wheels.  I then noticed that there was ridiculous side to side slop on the wheels.  Finally, the brake handle guide should be more of a loop than a flat.  This won't do at all. 

I resorted to a source that I have used a lot in 4mm work, Bill Bedford etches from Eileens Emporium:

P1010008-001.JPG.d5f47f52300b615f06e62010fe404081.JPG

I got the sprung 1923 RCH W irons (I'm trying to standardize on all sprung wagons) and the 9' brake gear.

Next job was to strip the old parts from the wagon.  Flippin' 'eck the glue used is bombproof!  I ended up using a cutting wheel to remove material around the mouldings sufficient to be able to prise it out.  What a job!  I finally got the body clear of detritus:

P1010007-001.JPG.12bddc8c69da09d95f029a31968667fd.JPG

A right old mess it made.  The bearings used in this model are simple lengths of brass tube.

P1010007-002.JPG.45a485079a46c9547d738f69db042c94.JPG

Next I made up the W irons and packed the floor 0.060" to raise (lower?) the W irons to the right height.  I happen to have a Slaters BR Std van which has provision for clasp brakes and Morton.  I nicked the W irons from the Morton fret and chopped those up to get springs and axle boxes.

I also noticed that the Dapol axles are 2mm shorter than Slaters.

A lot of kerfuffle and toing and froing gave me this:

P1010009.JPG.03f9975d9b9016d6cbcfaa9603916393.JPG

Notice I packed the rear of the solebar to position the W irons such that the bearings engage the axles.

Finally after fitting the brake handle, painting and fitting the couplings (secured with split pin), the wagon looks good:

P1010008-003.JPG.4c8021cf2c6570d1c3a70ed9742cf7d0.JPG

The wagon is to a standard consistent with my other wagons.  I wouldn't buy any more though.  The next gen. of RTR wagons look to be a lot better so I might have a flutter with those.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

John, thanks for your excellent write-up and photos. It's very helpful as I was considering suggesting to my wife to by me one or two Dapol wagons as Xmas presents. (Most of my currently small fleet are either Slater's or Parkside Dundas that I've built over the years.)

Well, Brian, the hardest part was getting the beast apart.  By the time I bought the wagon and the other parts, I could have bought a Lionheart model.  I was looking at these on the Tower site the other day and thinking how good they look.  It's funny how Dapol can produce locos that are getting rave reviews and then these.  The nice thing about kits is you can control the standard to which they are built.  As I mentioned I might be getting one or two of the BR vans/wagons now being released - these seem much better then the PO wagons from the photos - Lionheart influence?

My intention with this and a Parkside PO wagon is to distress them so that they appear as they might have done in 1962.

John

John, yes kits are easier to control to the standard you want, although mine are usually modelled in light weathering or else ex-works condition. Your article has made me decide not to bother with all the hassle of Dapol wagons (although I have got one of their Jintys on pre-order). I'll ask the wife to get me another Parkside kit like last Xmas.

Well, Brian, the hardest part was getting the beast apart.  By the time I bought the wagon and the other parts, I could have bought a Lionheart model.  I was looking at these on the Tower site the other day and thinking how good they look.  It's funny how Dapol can produce locos that are getting rave reviews and then these.  The nice thing about kits is you can control the standard to which they are built.  As I mentioned I might be getting one or two of the BR vans/wagons now being released - these seem much better then the PO wagons from the photos - Lionheart influence?

I suspect the Dapol open wagons were designed and in production before Richard Webster of Lionheart joined the company. I have no knowledge of Dapol's intentions although I wouldn't be surprised if the ex-Lionheart 7 and 8 plank opens became the basis of their future releases of this wagon type, unless future releases of the Dapol tooling are made to sell at a lower price point.

I converted a Dapol 5 plank a while ago, using a variety of parts, but found I would have better spending the time it took to built a kit.

Agree entirely Vaughan, but, as I said, I'm in exploratory mode and thought I'd give these a look.

Also agree that Lionheart influence may be found in future releases -- sure hope so.  In my experience Dapol seems to continue using outdated, ancient and inaccurate tooling for their OO PO wagons, Hornby too.  Let's hope that clearer minds prevail on the PO wagon front.

BTW if anyone has a better method than mine for upgrading these wagons, I'd be interested.

John

John, yes kits are easier to control to the standard you want, although mine are usually modelled in light weathering or else ex-works condition. Your article has made me decide not to bother with all the hassle of Dapol wagons (although I have got one of their Jintys on pre-order). I'll ask the wife to get me another Parkside kit like last Xmas.

Very wise Brian.  I have the 08 on order and waiting with eager anticipation.  My friend received his Terrier the other day and it is a lovely model, certainly well within my expectations.  I will order the Jinty as well once the dust has settled.

Tower have some very nice looking Lionheart PO wagons.  If you're looking for ideas for a present, these might fit the bill.

John

I had a go at modifying one I was given as a present a couple of years ago.

post-12623-0-79957800-1479397798_thumb.jpg

The time I spent trying to correct it plus the cost of new wheels and buffers would have been better spent building a Parkside kit. It looks okay but I certainly wouldn't have bother doing another one especially after the vastly superior Lionheart ones appeared. The new Dapol wagons do look very promising though.

Updated to replace rubbish Photobucket pics with proper ones.

Also, as a bonus here is what I finally did with the wagon:

P1010004-003.JPG.5250e3115b35112171dd94c6882f4f66.JPG

My era is early 60s so these would be getting rare and pretty well knocked about by then.  I only have 3 PO wagons and 4 steel (all different) which I think is about right.

John

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1