Da Vinci 3D printers, any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about printers Jim but recently I discovered a new programme / app what ever had downloaded onto my Windows 10 computer, I presume via updates. I can't recall seeing it a while ago.

It's called 3DBuilder, and looks to be a programme for designing 3D printed stuff. Seems useful..

Can anyone enlighten ?

Edited to add - Just found this

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/3d-print/printing-partners

Brit15

I remember seeing 3Dbuilder on my laptop when I got it in July. Had a quicklook, but not my style.

With respect to 3D printers, it would be nice to see some of the stuff done on home printers. Many seem to be saying they can do models, so please show the results here, and how long it took to print etc.

I'd seen interesting things about the DaVinci 3D printers so when I was in the US in October I went to Microcenter in Philadelphia where they have 3D printers on the shop floor. I asked the staff and was told that they had only managed to make one of them work and even on that the quality wasn't great. These guys generally have fun printing all kinds of things to show off the capabilities of the various models and it seemed a little strange for them to struggle with something. They also said that DaVinci uses proprietary filament and make you pay through the nose for it.

I would definitely suggest seeking other opinions in case Microcenter just had a couple of duff units but otherwise you need to consider whether he would have a good experience or be constantly frustrated and be put off going further by it (Not saying one way or another, you know him, you've got a better idea than any of us how it would go)

Cheers

Chris H

Archived