SLW Class 24. Secret sound project revealed.

pauliebanger

If you are fortunate enough to have an SLW Class 24 with original ‘factory fitted’ sound there is a hidden variation on the way the engine sounds operate. This can be accessed with a couple of CV changes.

This has been part of the official sound project from the very beginning so anyone who has one of these models will be able to try it without needing to update anything.

The default values of CV265 = 101 and CV387 = 150.
Change these to CV265 = 103 and CV387 = 0

This is how the sounds will operate after these changes:

Start and Idle – normal
Speed Step 1 (or F7) engine sound advances to ‘control lever to position On’
Speed Steps greater than 1 – engine sound does not alter with speed.
 F keys 23, 24, 25, and 26 will put the engine sounds into ¼, ½, ¾, or full power respectively. These keys can be used individually or in combination.

All of the dynamic controls via Throttle or F key still work as normal, so simulation of light engine or heavy train is just as convenient, but fully independent control of all engine sounds is now available at all times. (Although F6 still operates as normal, its use is superfluous in this mode).

I call this my ‘Drive! (no need to Hold)’ scheme since there is no requirement to relinquish speed control from the throttle in order to change engine sounds. Full control of individual engine sounds and speed are available, separately, at all times.

Reversion to the original scheme can be achieved by reinstalling the default values in CVs 265 and 387.

This driving scheme will not suit everyone’s requirements or tastes, but for those who need or desire the ultimate level of control it will be prove extremely useful.

Good Luck,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul,

Is this kind of control scheme suited to an End-to-End (or FiddleYard to station) type layout where you don't want the 'delays' of starting a loco and just want to drive it onto 'scene' and have instant sound that you can drive directly?

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Paul

We will look forwards to having a play with that - although like Tim I was expecting something festive, our Class 27 sound files already have seagulls....

Have a great Christmas

Phil

Thanks Paul,

Is this kind of control scheme suited to an End-to-End (or FiddleYard to station) type layout where you don't want the 'delays' of starting a loco and just want to drive it onto 'scene' and have instant sound that you can drive directly?

Kev.

Kev,

No more or less than any other. The changes affect how the engines sounds operate when the sounds are already playing. The best/most universal method for avoiding lengthy 'start-up' routines is to start the model moving before pressing F1 to start the sound.

Or have your sound projects created without start-up routines, just a fade-in direct to 'idle'. I've done this many times for people who prefer to skip that part.

Kind regards,

Paul

Paul, Will give this ago tomorrow and see what I think. In the meantime I want to set the rear marker lights (white) to be fixed to function key 18. Any chance of the CV setting please? I've already set the CV's for the red tail lights and the front marker lights from information from you previously, so it's just this last settings I need for the rear markers. Thanks in advance, Tony.

Thanks Paul, for the above CV listings. I've carried out the amendments and the lights work as they should. Just one problem and that is on the rear lights on F16 and the front markers on F18, both have the double switch sound when you turn the lights on, but no sound when you turn them off. Both the F0 and F21 are OK, they have the switch sound when they are turned on and off. Any idea what I need to change? Thanks in advance.

I've amended the CV's for the sound mod and that works fine as well. Adds a little difference to the other two cl24's I've got.

Thanks Tony.

Thanks Paul, for the above CV listings. I've carried out the amendments and the lights work as they should. Just one problem and that is on the rear lights on F16 and the front markers on F18, both have the double switch sound when you turn the lights on, but no sound when you turn them off. Both the F0 and F21 are OK, they have the switch sound when they are turned on and off. Any idea what I need to change? Thanks in advance.

I've amended the CV's for the sound mod and that works fine as well. Adds a little difference to the other two cl24's I've got.

Thanks Tony.

Tony,

I know what the underlying problem is, but I'll need to give some thought as to how you can fix it with the resouces you have available.

Whilst I ponder this, there is a half-way house between the two variations which you might try. This will give a third variation to add a little variety.

Using one of your models with the original sound project, make CV387 = 0. The engine ramp up will be different to the original, but will respond to all the other control inputs you make in the same way as before.

Kind regards,

Paul

Tony,

I've had to make some assumptions about how you have alloctated the light switch sound to F16 and F18

I've not tested this but based on the assumptions, it should work.

CV560 = 72

CV566 = 72

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul, All is well now and working correctly. Tony.

Archived