Hornby Rivarossi US no more

Talltim

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the tooling will still be utilised, the U25/28C models were superbly done. Given that at one time Rivarossi were probably more famous in many parts of the world for their US outline models than for Italian and European models their American range has seemed a bit half hearted under Hornby. I know there are a lot of rumours that Hornby International (Jouef, Rivarossi, Electrotren & Lima) have been one of the main causes of concern for Hornby financially. I hope their European ranges are not affected by this.

Hopefully the tooling will still be utilised, the U25/28C models were superbly done. Given that at one time Rivarossi were probably more famous in many parts of the world for their US outline models than for Italian and European models their American range has seemed a bit half hearted under Hornby. I know there are a lot of rumours that Hornby International (Jouef, Rivarossi, Electrotren & Lima) have been one of the main causes of concern for Hornby financially. I hope their European ranges are not affected by this.

The U25/U28C models were well done but they came with a premium price and sat on store shelves because of it. I bought a Conrail one, but couldn't justify any others.

Adrian

The U-Boats were priced competitively, at least south of the border.  LED lights, lighted number boards, working red emergency and Mars lights, Lok sound.  With the etched grills and other road specific details, they were top notch models.  Sound versions selling stateside now for $129, I'm going to end up owning more, before they disappear.

Sad to see them go, Rivarossi made a great product, too bad we didn't get to see additional U-Boat runs....

The U25/U28C models were well done but they came with a premium price and sat on store shelves because of it. I bought a Conrail one, but couldn't justify any others.

Adrian

"They came with a premium price and sat on store shelves because of it."  Will be Hornby's obituary.

Read on another forum that Hornby's US Rivarossi brand is ceasing after delivery of the 50' Single-Door Box cars

When did they announce a boxcar? (Is that one of their problems!?)

Ref the U-boats, it doesn't help that they did a really good model of an unusual prototype, at the same time as somebody else did...

• RMweb Premium

Were the U boats that expensive? When I bought mine I thought that the price was comparable with similar high detail models from Athearn Genesis, Bowser, Rapido etc. OK, expensive compared to Athearn ready to roll and Bachmann but they were a high quality product.

Here in France, I've heard by a train dealer (a professional) the Hornby/Jouef importer/distributor has let down. That's finished once again for Jouef.

It's sad to know that.

I hope the US range will continue to live!

The RIv/Hornby Uboats weren't out of line price wise with everything else that is state of the art, and it IS as good a model as you'll find.  What I think they suffered from was being a sort of meh prototype - not many find the early U boats all that exciting.  Atlas has found that to be the case - when was their last run of U33C models?  I know Atlas is doing a U33/U36B here shortly - that's a pretty bold move for something that didn't have a lot of owners.

If Hornby had done a state of art big Alco (before Bowser beat them to it) or a killer RS3 or, dare I say, a state of the art SD40-2 I imagine they'd have sold much better.  In the meanwhile the Korea Brass Uboats sit and moulder on Ebay.  I've yet to see one of the KB models in the flesh anywhere...and with the Rivs going for $130 I'm certainly not going to buy a KB anytime soon :)  I have stashed a couple of the Rivs for repower fodder if I ever blunder into a cheap brass PRR/PC E44...same trucks at least...

Archived