Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pendon Museum photographic competition and workshop

Andy Y

Feature_1s.jpg

Pendon Museum in rural Oxfordshire is known for displaying some of the highest quality modelling in Britain. Detail abounds at a microscopic level with many thousands of hours taken in creating a vast scene recording life in the Vale of White Horse in the 1930s in one of the country’s largest, if not finest, exhibits. The museum’s Dartmoor scene features one of Brunel’s magnificent timber viaducts, Teignmouth’s iconic sea wall scene in addition to John Ahern’s historic Madder Valley model.

Pendon Photography Competition

From now until 31 May 2017 Pendon Museum is holding a photographic competition for visitors to the museum in the following categories.

• A landscape scene

• Any building or structure

• Trains or rolling stock

• A general view of exhibits or people at Pendon

There are some great prizes on offer including a Bachmann Class 57 in GWR livery and a Bachmann Hawksworth autocoach in chocolate and cream livery. Selected entries will be on display in the museum from 5 June 2017 and the winners will be announced on 1 July 2017. Full details are available on the museum’s website along with advice on how to get the best pictures – www.pendonmuseum.com

Class57_GWR_1s.jpg

Pendon Photography Workshop

Would you like to have privileged access to the museum’s Vale Scene? On Friday 5 May 2017 I have been kindly asked to run a workshop on photographing models. The day will start with sessions on how to get the best from your camera and how to photograph individual models. The afternoon session provides exclusive access to the magnificent Vale scene with the glazing removed to provide more opportunities and higher quality images to be taken. Places are strictly limited to twelve participants which means everyone will have the best chances possible to develop their skills in one of the hobby’s most revered exhibits.  It is hoped that some unique and special opportunities will be created during the afternoon to enable very different shots to be taken. All proceeds are to support the museum.

Bookings should be made via Pendon's website here - https://www.pendonmuseum.com/shop/view.php?id=178&category=19

Inset_1s.jpg

The museum is running a series of workshops with leading figures in the hobby throughout 2017 including scratchbuilding structures, weathering, detailing, control systems, figure making and painting

Full details are available on the museum’s website – www.pendonmuseum.com - https://www.pendonmuseum.com/shop/index.php?category=19

Inset_2s.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Being involved in Pendon's workshop programme I get an early insight to the proposed dates and was very disappointed to find that I couldn't attend the Photography Workshop due to having to go on a family holiday.  Having been to a talk by Andy at Pendon a couple of years ago, those attending will learn a lot and are in for a real treat having the opportunity to photograph the Vale scene with the glass removed, something many of us Pendon volunteers have never experienced.  

Andy, thanks for link to the other workshop sessions arranged at Pendon. I hope you don't mind me mentioning that there are still a few places available for the following Workshops coming up in the next 3 months. Availability as of date of posting.

18th February - Scratch building structures from card - 1 place available

19th February - Scratch building structures from card (repeat of above) - 3 places available

18th March - Weathering with an airbrush - Fully booked

19th March - Weathering - 3 places available

1st April - Detailing the scene - 3 places available

2nd April - Detailing the scene - 2 places available

Use the link in Andy's post above to get more details. Bookings can be made online.

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean:

- Pendon has overturned its historic rule on 'no photography'?

- where people have (in the past) been allowed to take photos, these can now be published?

I infer from things said on here a while back that it has. I was assured that the starchy, elitest attitude I found in 1975 has been relaxed. I hope so.

• RMweb Premium

I am quite interested to know how that scene of the fisherman in his boat was done. I have tried once or twice and I found it impossible to get a shot without getting the reflection of the roof in the water.

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean:

- Pendon has overturned its historic rule on 'no photography'?

- where people have (in the past) been allowed to take photos, these can now be published?

I've forwarded your questions for a definitive answer and await the response. I'll post it here when I have it.

• RMweb Gold

I infer from things said on here a while back that it has. I was assured that the starchy, elitest attitude I found in 1975 has been relaxed. I hope so.

I had the opportunity to get involved surveying buildings back in the early 1980's but as a young man found it much as you suggest. I'm sure that you if you visited again now you will find it has changed significantly in the last 40+ years. Starchy and elitist are not terms I recognise at Pendon these days.

In the early 1990's Pendon had to change to achieve Museum status and has continued to evolve. In the last few years Pendon has introduced

• The Children's drop in modelling sessions during school holidays help to bring bring families in,
  • the programme of modellers workshops develop and enhance skills,
  • and the refocus on the railways within the wider social history of the Vale of the White Horse using audio guides.

Over this winter the reception area and shop has been completely redesigned to give a more welcoming first impression to visitors.

Why not give it another try sometime?

• RMweb Gold

The text below is a straight cut and paste from the Pendon operating manual and is a policy that has been in force, unchanged, for some years.

Photography

Visitors are invited to take their own photographs for their private use and publication on their own social media. If published we request an acknowledgement of where they were taken. They may NOT use flash.

Photography for commercial use is not permitted without prior agreement with the Museum.

Note that Flash photography is NOT permitted. Hopefully that is now clear.

Archived