009 working tippers

Hi

I was wondering would the Parkside Tippers or the Peco ones be a better starting point for making working 009 V tippers and if anyone had any experience (http://www.worldrailfans.info/GardenRailway/Galleries/Amberley/v-tipper-3.jpg), i.e. a sand load is added and then can be tipped later on remotely? I was thinking of using a fixed pole to push the top of the hopper over and add some weight to the chassis to stop it falling over. (edit something like this but just scaled down:

)

Regards

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of making working V tippers (http://www.worldrailfans.info/GardenRailway/Galleries/Amberley/v-tipper-3.jpg), i.e. a sand load is added and then can be tipped later on remotely? I was thinking of using a fixed pole to push the top of the hopper over and add some weight to the chassis to stop it falling over. (edit something like this but just scaled down:

)

Also, if this is indeed possible, would the Parkside Tippers or the Peco ones be a better starting point.

Regards

Check this video at about 4 min 50 sec in. It's 7mmNG but the principles might be worth a try.

For what it's worth, IF (and it's a big if) you can get hold of the old Joueff HOe tippers - they tip.  They have a rack and pinion mechanism at both ends of the hopper and will tip with a gentle push.  Last seen on sale in the 1970s - so you might get lucky and find them on second hand stalls at exhibitions - or (dare I say) even on eBay?

Otherwise, from a logical viewpoint, modifying a kit should be easier than modifying RTR.  But as the Peco ones can be posed tipped or not tipped, they may be easier to modify.

Then there are the Roco and Minitrains tippers.  From memory, the hoppers on these are held by a small lugg at the bottom of the hopper "V".  Removing that may mean that they tip reasonably easily when pushed?  But thy may also need to by righted by push?

knitpick, on 21 Feb 2017 - 09:25, said:

For what it's worth, IF (and it's a big if) you can get hold of the old Joueff HOe tippers - they tip.  They have a rack and pinion mechanism at both ends of the hopper and will tip with a gentle push.  Last seen on sale in the 1970s - so you might get lucky and find them on second hand stalls at exhibitions - or (dare I say) even on eBay?

Then there are the Roco and Minitrains tippers.  From memory, the hoppers on these are held by a small lugg at the bottom of the hopper "V".  Removing that may mean that they tip reasonably easily when pushed?  But thy may also need to by righted by push?

Thanks, Chris points out that there are some available, do they self right with the rack and pinion mechanism?

Otherwise, from a logical viewpoint, modifying a kit should be easier than modifying RTR.  But as the Peco ones can be posed tipped or not tipped, they may be easier to modify.

Does this mean that the parkside ones are not designed to be able to tip (or posed as tipped)?

I am currently trying the same thing using this method for transferring coal, I have built three parkside wagons and I have found that although they 'tip' the motion is a little rough and doesn't tip back as easily as I hoped, therefore I will probably invest in a set of peco tipper wagons. I would be interested to see how you get on with this

I am currently trying the same thing using this method for transferring coal, I have built three parkside wagons and I have found that although they 'tip' the motion is a little rough and doesn't tip back as easily as I hoped, therefore I will probably invest in a set of peco tipper wagons. I would be interested to see how you get on with this

Thanks for that insight, hope you sort it. Through other inquires as well as here, I will be going for the peco tippers so I'll have a hunt for some cheap ones.

Believe it or not there is a RTR soloution which works quite well:

s-l400.jpg minitrix-kipploren-set-3260-tipper_360_7 minitrix-kipploren-set-3260-tipper_360_7

It is fully automatic, the wagons tip as they are pushed through and are returned upright when drawn back. I tested them with ballast for an 009 layout I started making many years ago. You do need a loco with good slow speed control as there is a bit of resistance as the inverted tipping ramp pushes down on the spigot on the corner, particularly if the load is heavy. It is the pyramid shape at the bottom on the exit which pushes the corner back up to the horizontal as it is drawn out.

That Jouef train set brought back happy memories, thanks for the post.

I would have thought 009 tippers would not have enough mass to work like on End of the Line, still I'm sure you're up for a challenge...

Believe it or not there is a RTR soloution which works quite well:

s-l400.jpg minitrix-kipploren-set-3260-tipper_360_7 minitrix-kipploren-set-3260-tipper_360_7

It is fully automatic, the wagons tip as they are pushed through and are returned upright when drawn back. I tested them with ballast for an 009 layout I started making many years ago. You do need a loco with good slow speed control as there is a bit of resistance as the inverted tipping ramp pushes down on the spigot on the corner, particularly if the load is heavy. It is the pyramid shape at the bottom on the exit which pushes the corner back up to the horizontal as it is drawn out.

Thanks I had heard them mentioned but hadn't seen a picture, thanks, though the arrange seem quite big for the area that I'm thinking of building it in.

That Jouef train set brought back happy memories, thanks for the post.

I would have thought 009 tippers would not have enough mass to work like on End of the Line, still I'm sure you're up for a challenge...

It's worth a shot, and will be a nice headscratcher. If it comes to it then I'll just run them loaded, the board they will run on is only about 3' by 6''.

The secret with getting the tippers to operate on The End of the Line was to Polish the tippers, the chassis body, and the tipping rail with talcum powder. As built, the friction was far too high and they didn't work, but once everything was thoroughly polished, they operated smoothly and reliably. French chalk (talcum powder) has for hundreds of years been used as a lubricant, and it works beautifully (dry of course)

Thanks, Chris points out that there are some available, do they self right with the rack and pinion mechanism?

Does this mean that the parkside ones are not designed to be able to tip (or posed as tipped)?

Depends how well you can build them, you have to stick the U shape angle on the skip yourself, if they don't match up perfectly end to end they will be very difficult to tip smoothly. 

Depends how well you can build them, you have to stick the U shape angle on the skip yourself, if they don't match up perfectly end to end they will be very difficult to tip smoothly. 

That may be why I struggled to get the parkside wagons to tip effectively.

Well, the set of peco tippers arrived today. I removed the tabs that hold the skip down and using 2 paperclips blue-tacked to a piece of plasticard, I got the skips to successfully tip and then right themselves. Not having any sand I used sugar instead.

Here is a step by step of the process

post-19880-0-49431800-1487937275_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-92448300-1487937275_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-38443400-1487937276_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-81081500-1487937276_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-31048900-1487937277_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-02295700-1487937278_thumb.jpg

Well, the set of peco tippers arrived today. I removed the tabs that hold the skip down and using 2 paperclips blue-tacked to a piece of plasticard, I got the skips to successfully tip and then right themselves. Not having any sand I used sugar instead.

attachicon.gifIMG_4481.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4482.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4483.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4484.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4485.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4486.JPG

Wow, did you have to cut the tab underneath on the hopper to allow it to tip?

attachicon.gifIMG_4481.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4482.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4483.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4484.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4485.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4486.JPG

Well done! Seems to work well.

• RMweb Premium

I used the Roco ones in the past for this job - the actual tipping was done by a servo pushing a very thin steel wire up. The tippers were weighed down with a piece of lead glued to the bottom of the frame and a second, smaller piece of lead shaped and glued into the actual tipper so it goes back to its staring position automatically. Was a showstopper at the 2008 trenini in mostra show in Carnate Italy.

first 2 views of the layout

23663789080_3ffb3a8ced_b.jpg1 4 Detail Bruecke Grubenbahn

Alex, my son, showing the unloading at trenini in mostra

31907608131_a55f245760_b.jpgIMGP5124

And now the video. click on the picture.

24191943555_6f8a4d7357_b.jpgMOV001

As it was so nice another 2 details of the H0e part. This module was made to turn around with the H0 - and to make it invisible I made the H0e track on top. I called it the mine"

33115175636_77237014d9_b.jpg.

32773798370_b02b4b916d_b.jpgAusfahrt Bergwerk

Once again the unloading facility. If anybody thinks this structure I used is familiar - it is part of the Walthers ice house kit. If you look at the upper track you can see the wire moving the tipper. On each of the prepared tipper cars a 0.2mm steel wire sticks out about 2mm. this is necessary so the moving wire can grab the tipper and unload it. Believe me these wires are practically invisible during a show.

32773799630_0fcbae4973_b.jpgAutomatische Erzverladung

Hope this could give you some ideas.

Vecchio

I used the Roco ones in the past for this job - the actual tipping was done by a servo pushing a very thin steel wire up. The tippers were weighed down with a piece of lead glued to the bottom of the frame and a second, smaller piece of lead shaped and glued into the actual tipper so it goes back to its staring position automatically. Was a showstopper at the 2008 trenini in mostra show in Carnate Italy.

first 2 views of the layout

23663789080_3ffb3a8ced_b.jpg1 4 Detail Bruecke Grubenbahn

Alex, my son, showing the unloading at trenini in mostra

31907608131_a55f245760_b.jpgIMGP5124

And now the video. click on the picture.

24191943555_6f8a4d7357_b.jpgMOV001

As it was so nice another 2 details of the H0e part. This module was made to turn around with the H0 - and to make it invisible I made the H0e track on top. I called it the mine"

33115175636_77237014d9_b.jpg.

32773798370_b02b4b916d_b.jpgAusfahrt Bergwerk

Once again the unloading facility. If anybody thinks this structure I used is familiar - it is part of the Walthers ice house kit. If you look at the upper track you can see the wire moving the tipper. On each of the prepared tipper cars a 0.2mm steel wire sticks out about 2mm. this is necessary so the moving wire can grab the tipper and unload it. Believe me these wires are practically invisible during a show.

32773799630_0fcbae4973_b.jpgAutomatische Erzverladung

Hope this could give you some ideas.

Vecchio

Thanks, that is a good solution. How did you load the empty tippers, manually or by some other means?

• RMweb Premium

Manually Tom. Nobody is perfect :) :) 

And we had  small handheld vacuum cleaner with us - every 2 hours we needed to clean the area as some of the fine ballast we used was spilled...

Vecchio

I have now built a small loco to operate it with, a plate frame 20hp simplex. This will actually pass by the ramps, though the cabbed version I will do won't. The skip is there for size comparison. Edit, obviously I haven't painted it yet.

post-19880-0-92003500-1488317964_thumb.jpg

post-19880-0-46412900-1488317965_thumb.jpg

I will be tipping something (probably coal) from the NG tippers to SG wagons to be taken away by a (repainted) Hornby Austerity

This is a mock-up of my set-up, there will be a chute-like construction to make sure nothing misses the wagon.

32794421340_0a548251a2_b.jpg

32794422070_9f8d73365a_b.jpg

Loosely based on this photo (which happens to be a simplex)

32794421400_75f0feda90_o.jpg

Is there a portram bogie in your Simplex? 

Archived