DJM 14XX with Zimo sound - quick install guide

John YouChoos

We seem to be enjoying a spate of releases of really good new models recently.

I'm taking a look at the DJM/Hattons 14XX 0-4-2T here, with a view to fitting good DCC sound kit as simply as possible.

My hope was that it would essentially be a plug-and-play install using the Zimo MX649N 6pin direct sound decoder, but the boiler proved so tight that this really wasn't a practical option - you'd end up pulling wires off somewhere trying to stuff it all into the boiler!

So, the approach is a hard-wired Zimo MX648 instead, with the model's wires hard-wired directly onto the decoder, which really reduces the amount of wiring hanging about, so it feeds easily into the boiler.  Most people won't perhaps want to solder direct to the decoder, so some short decoder wires with heat shrink joins should also fit comfortably.

Here are a couple of teaser photos of the decoder-end of things:

14XXj.jpg

14XXl.jpg

For the speaker, I wasn't at all convinced by the provision of a plate where a SugarCube speaker could apparently be fitted, without any enclosure. The problem with this is that SugarCubes really do need a proper seal to work effectively, so I opted to remove the model's mounting plate, which frees up plenty of room for a 7mm SugarCube.  Removing the mounting plate, and refitting doors/cab roof etc. was a little fiddly, but with some patience it is not a difficult job.

14XXs.jpg

14XXv.jpg

14XXx.jpg

So, apart from the hard-wiring, this is relatively straight-forward.  I completed this install in just a few minutes, as there are no major alterations to the model required, and you don't have to take everything apart.

Full install guide with more photos available here: http://youchoos.co.uk/Index-Resource.php?L1=Guides&Item=DJM14XX

Hope that's useful.

John

(YouChoos)

Archived