Teddy bear fur for OO scenery

RTJ

• RMweb Premium

There was a feature on the method in MRJ; I also asked questions about the method on the old RMWeb so do a search with my username etc. and you may find some useful responses there also

HTH

Brian

Teddy bear grass

I posted this last month

Definitely choose your colours carefully as recolouring is essential no matter what the teddy hue. You don't want a Kermit shade showing through. Several articles in MRJ about this including the huge "Retford" EM layout and Peter Kirmond's "Blea Moor" Settle & Carlisle layout.

Attached image(s)

I reckon the edge problem is best solved by use of static grass or Silflor. Getting variation in colour takes a long time. I have dry brushed with acrylics and also sparingly used static grass wafted on with hairspray to try to destroy the uniformity. Random trimming also helps a lot, plus any other vegetation such as weeds, nettles etc. Blanket use of Barry Norman approved airbrushed LNER green looks just like what it is...........

Teddy Bear fur looks exactly like what it is too...teddy bear fur.

Hanging basket liner, carpet underfelt, more natural fibres like sisal string, hemp, etc. they're the things to use and if you can still get it, for finer grass, LINT. Gawd bless it. Lovely stuff, stuck straight down, not upended and pulled off! Stick it down, get the matt greens out and dip in the pots at random, mixing and blending. Have a brass wired suede brush handy for when it starts to set and tease it all up where you want it, roll some down to represent paths, sheep runs, etc. and even shave some for well tended lawns. My old Remmington only touched my face once when I were a lad and I thought s*d that for a lark. Never shaved since but done some nice lawns with it.

Point taken abut PW's music, it always was bubblegum rubbish. I can forgive me for ploughing the profits into trains real & miniature though.

As for lint, I challenge anyone to have the time to cover large areas in this way, particularly in 7mm scale. Blea Moor does not look like teddy fur at all though I must say Retford's "grass" looked less convincing in MRJ.Blea Moor video

Blea Moor does not look like teddy fur at all

Maybe not, but then with all those poorly disguised rectilinear join lines Blea Moor never convinced me it looked like Pennine moorland either. There's a limit to the number of symmetrical ditches and dry stone walls you can plausibly use.

On the club layout that taught me how to use lint, we had a 24ft.x36ft. oval of boards about 3 ft. wide, most of which was lint if it wasn't two tracks of EM.

If you don't faff about sticking it down fluff first and ripping off, but use it as it comes, you can buy it by the roll and lay it out. It knits together well at edges and doesn't show the edge of the cloth like teddy bear fur. because of that we used to tease it across baseboard joints where appropriate.

Maybe I was just lucky to have been around in those days...Lucky,lucky,lucky ;)

Paglesham

Agreed those Blea Moor joins are are weak and spoil an otherwise convincing look. I presume it was because the whole layout had to break down into back of the car pieces. The moor seems to be in a large number of segments each one only about 60-80cm wide.

Archived