Signature 1960's wagons

davetheroad

What new wagon types would have been introduced during the 1960's that would distinguish say a late 1960's freight scene from say a 1950's one? I can think of freightliner flats and MGR hoppers? Are there any others that are a must have on my shopping list?

A nice touch of the 1960s and those HAA's (as they became) was this pristine galvanised condition. obvisouly they didn't last long in that condition but they looked good as such. Also with the 100t tanks, HAA's were used as barrier wagons.

When did the Presflow cement wagons start first runnin?

The first Presflo arrived in 1954, I believe, but it would be about another five years, at least, before they reached fleet service. Iconic types I'd mention would include the 45t tanks that appeared from the early 1960s onwards, initially vacuum-braked, then, from about 1966, air-braked. Another thing that became evident was the widespread application of continuous brakes to types beyond the merchandise vans and opens- most noticeably the 21t hopper, often branded 'House Coal Concentration', but also bogie and four-wheel steel carriers. In the steel carrier fleet, coil wagons, often converted from other types, became much more widespread. It's to be hoped that the Bachmann Warflat might eventually be issued in one of the several coil-carrying guises; these include simply loading coils on their sides, but more usually fitting sheeted cradles. 

• RMweb Gold

The '60s also saw the appearance in quantity of vacuum braked 16ton mineral wagons, and the 'bogie bolster C' which was very popular for steel bar and rods.  So far as oil tanks were concerned, tbe type A and B 60mph 4 wheelers appeared in the early 60s, as did bogie tanks from about 1967.

Beyond the individual wagon types, what I remember most was that 'block' trains became more and more common. The days of a forty-wagon train, with 39 different types represented, were replaced by relatively homogeneous formations. Even when trains were 'mixed' freights, you'd begin to see clusters of half a dozen similar wagons together.  

• RMweb Gold

post-6884-0-45723300-1357665027.jpg

100 ton tanks northbound past Springs branch Wigan, 9F hauled, around 1967.

Brit15

Excellent picture, never seen a picture of 100 tonners being worked unfitted

Thanks for all the replies people. It seems the most obvious signature wagons are freightliner flats, HAA MGR coal hoppers and 100ton bogie tanks. (most obvious on the layout)

Good luck to me trying to find any 00 scale models of them, especially the tanks.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the replies people. It seems the most obvious signature wagons are freightliner flats, HAA MGR coal hoppers and 100ton bogie tanks. (most obvious on the layout)

Good luck to me trying to find any 00 scale models of them, especially the tanks.

Hornby do the freightliner bogie flats and the 100 ton tanks, though the latter only in a modern EWS livery according to their website, so you may need to do some painting.  All these trains require brake vans prior to the 1969 single manning agreement; suburban brake 3rds painted silver were used on freightliner trains.

Hornby do the freightliner bogie flats and the 100 ton tanks, though the latter only in a modern EWS livery according to their website, so you may need to do some painting.  All these trains require brake vans prior to the 1969 single manning agreement; suburban brake 3rds painted silver were used on freightliner trains.

Bachmann do a rather nicer version of the 100t tank, which has been available in a number of livery variants suitable for the period. For a brake van, you need an air-piped BR one, painted with a yellow vertical band, and usually lettered 'To work with air-braked trains only'. If the tanks are of the lighter-coloured Class A type, then you also need a barrier wagon (almost always a MGR hopper) between loco and train and train and brake van.

Archived