Network southeast 1987 - 1994

Just a few weeks after the livery was revealed I managed to see one Class 47 between Glasgow Central and Carlisle 

There would then be one almost every month 
Again, when the revised livery was revealed it was just a few weeks before one also appeared on the same route 

In 1990 I saw my first Class 47 in revised NSE in Aberdeen 
47702 also spent several weeks in revised NSE livery throughout Scotland in August 1990, after overhaul and still being required in Scotland 

47596 also operated between Edinburgh and Inverness / Aberdeen in the week August 1991 

I had 47583 to Stranraer during April 1988, it stayed around for a few days taking in Glasgow, Carlisle and Leeds. Pictured at Stranraer with the 1826 arrival from Euston.

I believe this was the second Class 47 in NSE to appear in Glasgow Central, April 1988 seems about right

Sadly beaten by 47573 the previous month

Edited by mjkerr

I saw the NSE liveried 86401 leave Glasgow Central hauling the Travelling Post Office to London around 1991.

I overlooked 86401 (as the OP was after Class 47)

It was great seeing it the first time at Glasgow Central, but seeing week in week out was boring!

• RMweb Gold

I've recently bought the Graham Farish "Capital Connection" set which has included in it, 47581 as I'm interested in the NSE but I'm also interested in the S&C and modelling Ais Gill, albeit prior to the removal of the two refuse sidings and signal box.  I would love to know if NSE liveried Class 47's travelled "up north" on a regular basis?  Also tongue-in-cheek, did the coaching stock ever creep up there from time to time?

Julian Sprott

Rather like the "restoration" of Kings Lynn (of which I posted pics on RMWeb) a couple of years ago, in early BR style? Sounds rather tasty though. And aren't Bachmann doing the signal box in similar style?

I shall have to pop over to have a look.

Stewart

I believe this was the second Class 47 in NSE to appear in Glasgow Central, April 1988 seems about right

Sadly beaten by 47573 the previous month

I have just dug out my old "moves" book from 1988 and 47583 appears to have been on at least the following trains.

18-04-88 1352 Carlisle-Glasgow central

19-04-88 1013 Glasgow-Carlisle, 1430 Carlisle-Stranraer and 2240 Stranraer-Carlisle.

20-04-88  0424 Carlisle-Glasgow, 0823 Glasgow-Stranraer, 1425 Stranraer-Glasgow and 2153 Glasgow-Stranraer

21-04-88  0700 Stranraer-Glasgow

23-04-88  1237 Carlisle-Leeds and 1625 return.

I've recently bought the Graham Farish "Capital Connection" set which has included in it, 47581 as I'm interested in the NSE but I'm also interested in the S&C and modelling Ais Gill, albeit prior to the removal of the two refuse sidings and signal box.  I would love to know if NSE liveried Class 47's travelled "up north" on a regular basis?  Also tongue-in-cheek, did the coaching stock ever creep up there from time to time?

As per reply #2, at least one Class 47 in NSE would appear each month

As per reply #12, this shows how most appeared in Scotland

Equally, sometimes a loco would appear on Leeds - Carlisle, never to venture any further north

I have just dug out my old "moves" book from 1988 and 47583 appears to have been on at least the following trains.

18-04-88 1352 Carlisle-Glasgow central

19-04-88 1013 Glasgow-Carlisle, 1430 Carlisle-Stranraer and 2240 Stranraer-Carlisle.

20-04-88  0424 Carlisle-Glasgow, 0823 Glasgow-Stranraer, 1425 Stranraer-Glasgow and 2153 Glasgow-Stranraer

21-04-88  0700 Stranraer-Glasgow

23-04-88  1237 Carlisle-Leeds and 1625 return.

The run over the Settle Carlisle on 23 April 88 was the same day as the Fellsman 2 railtour which went southbound over the S&C, hauled by 50 024 and 50 050 both in NSE. I was on the railtour and remember seeing the 47 hauled train which was blue/grey stock.  Evening Star was also out the same day.

Andy

• 1 year later...

Someone else might know better, but I'm guessing it could be narrowed down when the stock was replaced on the services it was used. If I remember correctly was the Euston to Northampton Cobblers not Mk1s before the Class 321s replaced them and the Thames Valley commuters from Paddington to Oxford before Class 165/166s took over those. So I'd suspect it'd be until around 1990 without having a Platform 5 book from the era

Someone else might know better, but I'm guessing it could be narrowed down when the stock was replaced on the services it was used. If I remember correctly was the Euston to Northampton Cobblers not Mk1s before the Class 321s replaced them and the Thames Valley commuters from Paddington to Oxford before Class 165/166s took over those. So I'd suspect it'd be until around 1990 without having a Platform 5 book from the era

The Mk 1s didn't generally disappear overnight - it would have been a gradual take-over by Mk 2s in most cases.

The Mk 1s didn't generally disappear overnight - it would have been a gradual take-over by Mk 2s in most cases.

Fair point in the general history of the Mk1s but in the case of the Cobblers the takeover wasn't really gradual, Thames Valley services were more gradual and saw Mk1 running alongside Mk2 until there were enough 166 units available but that wasn't until at least late 1991

Most of the coaches from the cobbler sets were sent to Old Oak and most of Old Oak's corridor second coaches went to Edge Hill.

Fair point in the general history of the Mk1s but in the case of the Cobblers the takeover wasn't really gradual, Thames Valley services were more gradual and saw Mk1 running alongside Mk2 until there were enough 166 units available but that wasn't until at least late 1991

Most of the coaches from the cobbler sets were sent to Old Oak and most of Old Oak's corridor second coaches went to Edge Hill.

I bow to your superior knowledge of 'North of Thames' NSE loco haulage ...... I'm more familiar with the Exeters - but loco haulage in my own neck of the woods was restricted to 'Arrer' and Night Ferry though I do recall a regular ( once a weekday ) East Grinstead commuter service : probably Mk 1s with an early Mk 2 FK ( successor to the 7TC ! ).

Sorry - 7TC not 6TC : that was a different beast !

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the mk1 cobbler sets were finally replaced by 321's in early 1990, and I believe they did go to OO. The transition from blue & grey to NSE took place over about 2 years-by sometime in 1988 I think all 5 rakes were NSE. NSE liveried 86401 was surprisingly rare on them though.