The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dr. Who - Series 10 (2017)

Torper

• RMweb Premium

For the first time for some years i'm once again hooked by Dr Who - for me, the current series is the one of the best ever.  Thanks to some decent scripts Peter Capaldi, as hoped, has become one of the greatest doctors, and companion Pearl Mackie is excellent.  Suggestions for next week are that we may see an early regeneration of the doctor in an intriguing scenario where we may (or may not) all be part of a computer simulation and the doctor may or may not be the real doctor.  And great to have Missy back.  And as for Bill's date being interrupted by the pope..... :laugh:   Some terrific stuff.

DT

• Like 1

I've not been especially enthusiastic about this season - I've found most of the stories to be simplistic, slightly ephemeral, and not very well written, with the odd dash of student union level politics thrown in (posh people are all racist and evil, capitalists want to kill their employees etc). But the last couple of episodes have been pretty good, and I'm glad I'm no longer 10  - the Monks would have terrified me. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've not been especially enthusiastic about this season - I've found most of the stories to be simplistic, slightly ephemeral, and not very well written, with the odd dash of student union level politics thrown in (posh people are all racist and evil, capitalists want to kill their employees etc). But the last couple of episodes have been pretty good, and I'm glad I'm no longer 10  - the Monks would have terrified me. 

Haven't you got a sofa to hide behind?

Actual I thought espisodes 2,3 and 4 were poor, with the fronzen Thames one very similar to one before However Steven Moffat and his co writer have come up with a good series climax. Just wondering if the eyebrows will get a series of their own!

• RMweb Premium

Actual I thought espisodes 2,3 and 4 were poor, with the fronzen Thames one very similar to one before However Steven Moffat and his co writer have come up with a good series climax. Just wondering if the eyebrows will get a series of their own!

I tend to agree, I found the first episodes disappointing and rather derivative, but it seems to be getting better towards the end. I think Capaldi had the potential to be one of the great Doctors but he has been badly served by the writers I think. A bit like Colin Baker, I still think that if Colin Baker era Doctor Who had been better written and with better production values (it almost descended to camcorder club production values) he had a lot of potential. Both Capaldi and Colin Baker made the character less predictable, edgier and all together more layered which was positive I thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think I've enjoyed this series more because I've at least managed to understand most of the episodes so far, whileas in the past two or three years I've all to often been left with no idea as to what's going on. And Capaldi has been terrific.  It'll be interesting to see how Chris Chibnall deals with future storylines, though if the new doctor is female I shan't be watching.

DT

I haven't been able to understand any DW episode for years, too many complex inter-references for the casual viewer - but, my young son is hooked, and gets it all. He keeps a cushion handy to put in front of his eyes, because there isn't room to hide behind our sofa!

K

• Like 2