The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

I'm staying overnight in QMC Nottingham, an unusual experience for me, I would prefer it remains so. I can't fault the clinical and many other aspects of the staff who are super at a time of stress all round . I just don't like hospitals over-much.

However when a repeat visit to a clinic diagnosed white spots on my tongue that were not going away of own accord, such feelings carry no weight compared with instinct for longevity [more modeling time].

Skilled consultant has reprofiled tongue with laser, Result not pretty so far but he's done the job thoroughly, we hope and trust. Pain management SO FAR is OK, hope we get through the night the same way and promised release if well behaved tomorrow.

This post is really to invite folks with similar experiences past & present. Not an excuse for just sharing my position. Even to share thoughts about future. Above all moving beyond trepidation, hospital fears,and other understandable feelings, which I had & have, to look on positive sides.

It was nice of Mrs Dava to come & visit. Gets me another 2 trips on the tram tomorrow, hope to meet son in Nottingham, call by Gee Dee models, a week or so off work to recuperate. Tower Models delivering Gauge 0 points on Wednesday. Of such anticipated minor pleasures are hopes made.

Stay well, and if you're not very, then get well soon. Thanks for sharing any kind/helpful thoughts. Please forgive poorly written rambling post, following 5am start, only ice cream, yogurt & water since last night, & effects of General Anaesthetic.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to friendly supporters, much appreciated guys.

I had a reasonable night thanks to radio app on iPhone, then earplugs & airline sleepmask to protect against ambient ward noises, fellow sufferers/snorers, sleep interruptions for BP monitoring etc. Pain under control but will be on smoothies, yogurt & ice cream for a few days.

I can see trams running across QMC from my window, aim to ride one into town later after discharge.

Protect our NHS and its people - Guardian today reports 47% of EU NHS staff may leave. Already staff recruitment & retention close to crisis. Who would work for Jeremy Hunt [invisible man] & the MayBot?

Dava

• Like 3

Pain under control but will be on smoothies, yogurt & ice cream for a few days.

Nah, what you need is a nice big bag of salt & vinegar crisps, preferably the crunchy Kettle type ones. Then, once you've regained the capacity for coherent thought, anything else will present no problem ;).

Seriously though, best of luck and get well soon. I consider myself very fortunate that I've only required corrective surgery once, when my gallbladder and I had a disagreement. Although I fluked a private room for my one overnight stay it still wasn't exactly an enjoyable experience, given the sleep deprivation methods that seem de rigeur in the modern hospital :D. However, the ability, on my way home, to call in at my favourite greasy spoon and have a Special Fat B'stard Breakfast with Extra Lard without fear of subsequently ending up curled up on the floor praying for death, made it quite worthwhile. Not that I do such a thing regularly, you understand, but after several months of a basically fat free diet it was positively ambrosial :D.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice Pat, I've worked my way up to chicken soup after about 3 smoothies, too much of a good thing.

I left QMC this afternoon after they'd supplied some pharmacy items, had to gee them up so I could get the tram into Nottingham and meet my son. Feeling washed out and light headed with just a week signed off work, may try to get this extended depending on how I get on.

Called into Gee Dee Models in Nottingham,they are selling off a collection of H0 gauge continental tram models and kits. The AHM 2-car sets at $20, a nice single decker German car 30, Bachmann PCC cars and a BEC kit of same. No British trams. Also tram book collection. Some one may be interested.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I had a sore week in hozzy in February, after this:

post-10195-0-02566400-1498590469_thumb.jpg

Aftercare is still on going, due to these:

post-10195-0-42759000-1498590487.png

...still being in place.  They come out after a year.  Ugh.

However, although it still hurts a fair bit, I can now walk, after three months no weight bearing.  Physio, fracture clinic follow-ups etc have all been superb.  Manx NHS is pretty good.

• RMweb Premium

Neil,

Ouch! Hope they get those screws out ok, won't even ask how they got there.

I followed your link to the Groudle Glen Railway. Back in the 1980's I built a 7mm scale model of the GGR in 012 scale, using Berliner Bahn chassis for Sea Lion and Polar Bear. It had the station canopy at Lhen Coan and a return loop to Sea Lion Rocks. I sold it in 1997 to a chap named Trevor from the West Midlands who at the time was connected with the Supporter's Association. I never heard of it again but as Thixofix was widely used as the adhesive and it degrades after 30 years [i didn't know that at the time] that may be just as well. I've still got the analog photos and a file of GGR memorabilia. There was a photo in David Smith's book on the line.

Thanks for posting.

Dava

I saw the title of this thread and....  well....   :O

...anyway...

Glad you're making good progress - the NHS in my extensive experience with close family members, and the wider medical community of district nurses, nurse practitioners etc, over the past ten years or so has been of generally excellent and professional service.

PS: shame Theresa's magic money tree only works for the DUP and the queen...

• RMweb Gold

PS: shame Theresa's magic money tree only works for the DUP and the queen...

If it was good enough for Jim Callaghan when he was propped up by the DUP and good enough for Gordon Brown when he tried to cosy up to DUP to keep him in power in 2010, why shouldn't Theresa shake the same tree?

• RMweb Premium

Neil,

Ouch! Hope they get those screws out ok, won't even ask how they got there.

I followed your link to the Groudle Glen Railway. Back in the 1980's I built a 7mm scale model of the GGR in 012 scale, using Berliner Bahn chassis for Sea Lion and Polar Bear. It had the station canopy at Lhen Coan and a return loop to Sea Lion Rocks. I sold it in 1997 to a chap named Trevor from the West Midlands who at the time was connected with the Supporter's Association. I never heard of it again but as Thixofix was widely used as the adhesive and it degrades after 30 years [i didn't know that at the time] that may be just as well. I've still got the analog photos and a file of GGR memorabilia. There was a photo in David Smith's book on the line.

Thanks for posting.

Dava

Trev Nall?  He's our Chairman now! He moved here when he retired. Nice bloke.

I did the foot walking along Groudle Glen on the way to do a job there - I'm driver/guard/responsible (ha!) officer qualified.  Slipped on a muddy bank and broke my foot in half. It hurt...

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Neil, like the photo, yes it was Trevor Nall. Maybe you could give him my best regards and ask what happened to the models, they were built 30 years ago with the technology of the time and could well have come apart on their own as the toast rack coaches in particular were fragile. Possibly they never made it to the IoM, I'd just be interested to know.

Hope the foot recovers soon, a painful injury.

Dava

• Like 1

If it was good enough for Jim Callaghan when he was propped up by the DUP and good enough for Gordon Brown when he tried to cosy up to DUP to keep him in power in 2010, why shouldn't Theresa shake the same tree?

Those two were equally cynical and hypocritical.

Perhaps she could seek attention for her memory problems on the NHS.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Neil, like the photo, yes it was Trevor Nall. Maybe you could give him my best regards and ask what happened to the models, they were built 30 years ago with the technology of the time and could well have come apart on their own as the toast rack coaches in particular were fragile. Possibly they never made it to the IoM, I'd just be interested to know.

Hope the foot recovers soon, a painful injury.

Dava

I will do - you could PM me your real name!

Hi Dava,

Sorry to hear of your problems but trust you are feeling a lot better . I went through an eight and a half hour operation for removal of a tumour in my nut a few years ago but with top rate care from consultant,nurses and all made a good recovery. The NHS really is a great organisation with dedicated staff. Strikes me they could do with a lot less pen pushers and paper movers and a lot more people doing the real work of caring for patients.

Anyway....enough of me droning on...get well quickly and back to the modelling.

Craig.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Craig,

Today I walked down to our village, bought the ingredients for a risotto I later made for tea, then sorted out the details for the GCR "Bridge to the Future' layout I'll be working on tomorrow after its appearance at the model gala a couple of weeks ago now. So modeling has resumed, can't say I have a similar appetite for work. Speaking and eating are painful and difficult still, and not much energy, but getting better.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Today I drove for the first time since the op and went down to the GCR to set up the Bridge model in the Boaadroom and try the new Perspex covers, which fit well. A two man job with Barry who'd done the hard work and collected them. Then I added buildings and assorted details which took most of the afternoon. Now it's ready for the Ruddington show end July.

Had to have a nap when I got back and the mouth was very painful when I woke up. QMC were very stingy on analgesics on discharge and I've resorted to Codamol+Ibuprofen with the mouthwashes which just about contain it.

Spent the evening in the workshop, starting on preparing 014 track parts for the long planned quarry layout. Looking for some rail I came across a yard of Peco Gauge 0 streamline with an off-centre conducter rail I don't recall buying but it must have come with a job lot of used track. The narrower side had a gauge of 15mm which is not much use, but persuasion with a scalpel and Butonone detached the chairs holding the centre rail and enabled a regauging to 14mm. This works quite well. Coincidentally the wider other side accommodates 00 gauge nicely too. So now I have a useful 3-gauge test track for the workbench!

post-14654-0-35365800-1498863104_thumb.jpeg

Medication and off to bed.

Dava

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update, 9 days post-op. If this is too graphic don't read on.

Over the weekend parts of tongue became ultrasensitive with some small bleeds, eating was very painful.

Managed to get GP appointment yesterday, he prescribed antibiotics for suspected infection, increased painkiller dosage. I've been taking over-counter Cocodamol + Ibuprofen, they won't prescribe Tramadol. Got signed off work til next Tuesday.

Was working on a first 014 point in workshop yesterday evening when felt my mouth fill with blood. Spent next 2 hours with head back on settee, first with antiseptic mouthwash then hot saline fluid. Worryingly large blood clots came out every 30 minutes or so whilst watching 'Broken'. Called 111 & spoke with nurse then GP. After 11pm it stabilized and after lots of hot salty water & discussion with GP went to bed. Managed to avoid a blue-light run into QMC. All is stable overnight & this morning, just a bit sore.

Have downshifted pain relief to paracetamol today as 8 days on Cocodamol resulted in a painful 'output problem'.

Taking it easy today!

Dava

Edited by Dava