Walsworth Model Railway coal hoist kit

In 2006 I purchased the Walsworth 4mm scale Stothert and Pitt electric coaling hoist, which is very similar to the structure erected at Colchester. Has anyone built the 4mm kit and any hints or tips, as after 10 years I'm about to build the kit?

I have just completed the covered shelter under which coal was transferred from open wagons to the coaler skips. Unfortunately, although I have a very large collection of photographs of Colchester, for some reason all the photos of the shelter have a loco blocking a clear view!

The structure was of steel and corrugated iron sheeting; the sheeting I understand was painted with tar paint, but would the steelwork have originally been painted green? Presumably, by the 1950s little paint would be visible, hence as can be seen in the photo I've painted a base colour of black.

Any help much appreciated

Paul

post-665-0-86413800-1506974305_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I've made a start with the kit and it's obviously going to be a little more involved than hoped. The kit is designed for the skips to be effectively winched up the tower,the Hatfield model being similar to that at Lowestoft. However at Colchester and Parkeston, the skips were pushed onto a "deck" which was lifted up the tower. So basically two L brackets have to be made to support the deck and tower altered.

• RMweb Premium

I've got one of these to make up some time or other, so I'm taking an interest in this thread.  I know these hoists, although looking similar, actually differed in details, but I thought the kit was similar to the one at Hitchin shed?  I believe there was also one at Yarmouth Beach.

Yarmouth Beach, King's Lynn, Parkeston Quay and Colchester all appear to be the same, with a deck which is lifted up on which the tub sits. Hitchen, King's Cross appear to be as per the kit, where the tub is latched onto a bracket which lifts the tub.

I haven't yet found enough photos to convert the Walsworth model to the type at Colchester. There is a good side view in GE Sheds and a couple of photos I have sort of show a front view, but not enough to build the model, so still scanning for photos!

Paul

After much searching for suitable photos I've been unable to find any additional clear photos of the coaler; albeit plenty of distance fuzzy shots!

However, I've made some progress matched against the best photo of the coaler I've found. (photo from GE Sheds Part 2), showing:

(1) Top section. Some photos appear to show the control cabinet with a pitched roof others with a pent roof. There appears to be some form of motor on the deck, which I found in my spares box. The kit cabinet is also different from that at  Colchester, so another rummage in the spares box! The kit designer expects you to fold the four edge "I" beams to the deck from a flat sheet! I broke these off and used plastic "I" beams of the same size.

(2) L shaped lifting deck (with skip). I've just got to fabricate the "funnel" section which is fixed to the L shaped deck, which presumably is also to stop the skip falling off the deck when tipped.

(3) Discharge shoot, as per kit. In the original a flap is fitted, which I'll add. In the kit the shoot is supported on a flat deck, whereas at Colchester it was supported by various bits of steel section.

The second (from British Railways Engine Sheds) and third (from Lens of Sutton) photos show the only other reasonable photos I have of the coaler at Colchester and although identical coalers existed at Parkeston, Lynn and Yarmouth Beach I haven't found any clearer photos.

The fourth photo (from British Railways Engine Sheds) is of Frodingham shed and of the same design as the 4mm kit. This photo clearly illustrates the main difference between the kit/Frodingham and Colchester in how the tubs are lifted.

Sorry photos at 90deg, but can't see how to correct - they appear ok in my PC file!

Paul

post-665-0-65366100-1507492509_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-14966100-1507492579_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-23850900-1507492620_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-77435400-1507492845_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The more I looked at photos it became clear that the Walsworth model is significantly different in detail to that at Colchester. Folding up flat sheet into U and I beams I found very difficult and resorted to plastic sections, so I have actually used very little of the kit!

The attached photos show progress to date and now to add detail and sort the narrow gauge track and tubs.

post-665-0-90818000-1509116758_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-94600300-1509116816_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-41582500-1509116843_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear you had to replace a lot of the kit; I must admit I've sometimes looked at mine and wondered how well it might go together!  I'm not sure whether there was a 7mm version available but if so, perhaps the etches have just been shrunk from that and would have worked better in the larger scale?  Anyway, you've made a very nice job of it and I'm interested to see how you do the narrow gauge track - do you intend to add any more tubs?

Steve, the main issue for me is the kit and the structure at Colchester are significantly different as noted above. It has proved easier to use plastic sections, using the kit drawing as the basis of the design and photos as reference. I'm pleased that the coaler "works", ie I can push the tubs up the structure and they tip, albeit from photos I can't see how the motor on the top of the structure lifted the tubs. I'm certainly not going to attempt to make the model work!

Other than a bit of weathering when the glue has set and finding some 4mm dia wheels for the tubs -  hence frames only temporary tacked onto the tub body, job done!. The lights on the tower work, albeit I haven't connected up all the lighting wiring yet.

Next job is the three old carriage bodies used as Mess huts, located by the shed.

post-665-0-57646800-1509644674_thumb.jpgpost-665-0-44562800-1509644693_thumb.jpgpost-665-0-34267600-1509644720_thumb.jpgpost-665-0-72756400-1509644742_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Paul, thanks for putting the pictures up.  I'll have to get around to mine sometime soon!  Any thoughts on the tub wheels?  I had wondered whether some press studs would be suitable.

Parkside use a very small wheel in their narrow gauge kits and nearly purchased a kit at the Peterborough show. I'm planning to go to the Spalding show in a couple of weeks and I'll see if anything else is a better option.

A nice job on the coaler-a difficult kit to assemble.  The U-girders for the tub guides being the main problem.  I had added extra detail to mine, including extra ladder access and chequerplate floors.  These coalers appear to have been repaired and modified locally to suit.  For tub wheels, I used 2mm wagon wheels with replacement axles.

• 1 year later...