Dorset Deltic

• RMweb Premium

Where did they get all those clean and pristine looking air con Mark 2 coaches from? It certainly looks very nostalgic...I can imagine a 47 at the head of the rake hauling a cross country service :D

Edited by Ian J.

Yes, it was really good to see a "proper" rake of appropriate coaches behind Alycidon. The rear coach was a Mk1 coach in choc/cream (generator car?) but that didn't detract from things too much.

Both the loco and stock were turned out very well and it appeared that the train was well-loaded.

I remember those 'strokers' in the latter days of steam at Kings Cross, when they started up they made more smoke than the steam locos they replaced - they look clean there. :sungum:

When Virgin XC were using Royal Scots Grey, a couple of times it set off the smoke alarms at New St, one time, just after the "New Street is a no smoking station" announcement.

The first time they ever used it was a trail run on the 06xx (something) Scotland train, which started from New Street, meaning the locomotive spent quite some time standing in the station.

I remember having the day off work specially (in the days before the Internet), buying a ticket on the day and thinking, "Now I've gone to all this trouble I hope it bloody well turns up."

As soon as I passed through the ticker barrier, I immediately knew it had as the over bridge tunnel was full of a nice blue haze and the fresh smell of diesel on a winter's morning.

• Like 2

Where did they get all those clean and pristine looking air con Mark 2 coaches from? It certainly looks very nostalgic...I can imagine a 47 at the head of the rake hauling a cross country service :D

Riviera trains. Previously in faded Virgin red and grey

Jo

Riviera trains. Previously in faded Virgin red and grey

Jo

I suspect repainted at Nemisis Rail, Burton on Trent. Seems to be quite a selection of 'Before and After' Mk2's on most occasions that I have passed by on my commute to Birmingham. There must be quite a number they have turned out in blue and grey by now.

I popped out my 'local' station of Beaulieu Road in the New Forest for both the out and back trips. I had hoped to chase the tour a bit, but wasn't feeling 100% so played it safe!

post-7258-0-60128400-1508786593_thumb.jpg

D9009 passes through in a brief glimpse of Sun with 1Z45 to Swanage.

post-7258-0-45221900-1508786597_thumb.jpg

Heard howling across the Forest before it came into view, D9009 roars by with 1Z55 back to Burton.

And a video of the workings.

She certainly sounded the part, and the matching rake of stock looked fantastic.

Cheers,

Andy.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Deltic ETH was never the most stable as it is taken off the traction windings - drivers had to take care when applying or shutting off power as the ETH voltage would change too much. They also were not able to supply certain Mk2 air-con coaches.

Given that the operator would have the genny anyway and it's a more stable supply, it makes sense to use it rather than run the risk of the Deltic damaging the coaches' electrical equipment