BR Standard Class 2 2-6-0: LMS Ivatt 2MT vs Riddles

aardvark

Hello all:

I'm soon to start work on my first layout, of Banff, Scotland in the 1950's.  I have several photos of 78053 and 78054 Riddles Standard Class 2 2-6-0 in the region, and have recent discovered that BRDatabase says that this class was "similar in almost all respects to Ivatt's L.M.S. design".  This gives me hope of picking up a RTR Ivatt class 2 2-6-0, and (one day) having a go at a conversion to the Riddles version.

My question is how to go about determining the differences.  BRDatabase has one photo of each class, and even to my beginners eye, I can spot a few differences, but I'm hoping for a more scientific approach.

cheers to all!

Dean

• Like 1

Assuming you are talking about 4mm scale we do an etch of all the different bits for this conversion - £12 + postage.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Thanks Michael: absolutely awesome!  I'll be in touch.

• RMweb Gold

The differences are mainly cosmetic, the BR variant having an angled but continuous running plate forward of the cylinders which is gapped on the Ivatt and an inward angled cab and tender profile; I believe there were some differences in the cab controls as well in the interests of BR standardisation.  But watch your chimneys; the Ivatts had several variants to improve steaming which AFAIK were not applied to the Riddles BR variant.  There may be differences in the buffer housings as well.

One major difference was that the Ivatts had the regulator handle in the middle of the backhead with the regulator rod running through the waterspace to the regulator in the dome.  The Standards had a fore and aft regulator handle mounted on the left hand corner of the backhead with a rod running along the LHS of the boiler to a gland on the boiler side below the dome.  There was some discussion either here or on NatPres about the reversers.  I thought they were the same but others thought that the Standard 2's had the 'bacon slicer' like the other Standards. Perhaps a fieldtrip to the GCR is called for!

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

BR 2MTs didn't have the "bacon slicer" reverser but the same handle as the LMS ones, buffers were the same - BR standard were the LMS ones. The BR chimney is slightly different with the L&Y shaped rim but I think it's the same size as the original Ivatt locos. Boiler feed clacks, steam manifold (on the firebox top - LMS inside the cab) and safety valves are all BR standard fittings. Another difference is the external regulator rodding, again same as other BR standards.