Mystery wagon owner

• RMweb Premium

Just wandering through the Ambaile archive, I found this photo of pre-grouping wagons at Kyle. But the thing I can't get my head round is the wagon in the lower right foreground marked GB. Which railway was that?

Sadly I can't work out how to embed the image here, but the url is:

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/asset/show_zoom_window_popup_img.html?asset=11877

Andy G

Standard GE 5plk built before 1900 as they changed the design of the centre door hing after then. looking at the coaches would put the date of the photo some time after 1905 as the highland moved to an all green coach livery. 

Marc

Yes, you have to remember that if a load was loaded in a 'company' wagon, it wasn't transhipped when it passed onto the territory of another company. What happened to the empty wagon after it had completed its journey is another thing. I think think the first common-user agreement was between the GC, GE and GN in 1907; this allowed ordinary open merchandise wagons to be back-loaded when on those companies' lines, and didn't have to be returned empty to the nearest yard of its owner.

• RMweb Premium

I think that this point is often missed on layouts, and of course plenty of the wagons in that photo probably lasted to BR days, another thing that seems to be missed. Getting a range of wagons from across the country is tricky as I find it makes the library much much bigger!

Andy G

• Like 1

.............................. I think think the first common-user agreement was between the GC, GE and GN in 1907; ....................

Just checked in the Atkins et al bible and it was actually as late as December 1915.  Seems it took the pressures of WW1 to get railway companies to see sense and stop carting so much fresh air about.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that this photo is post Great War, i.e. the open wagons are in the pool, so naturally wagons of the most common types or from the companies with the largest fleets will predominate - hence the pair of Midland 5-plank opens. I think these are both D299 rather than one of the later diagrams, but note the spring steel door stop and corresponding long plate on the door - late Midland developments. Likewise the Midland 3-plank dropside on the left is fitted with the double door spring mechanism (the drawings for this date from 1908); statistically it's probably D305 but it might just be the later D818 design.

Another point to note for late grouping modellers is that sheets were also pooled, so an open wagon need not wear a sheet from the same company. See this photo - I've not worked out where it is.

• RMweb Premium

16" lettering on the two GWR wagons would support that view.

I think the further wagon has the 14" G W used on 3-plank wagons, where there wasn't enough room for the 25" G W and the load and tare inscriptions. But I agree the nearer, 4-plank wagon looks to have the 16" letters - and not very freshly painted, so a few years into the 20s.

...the 14" G W used on 3-plank wagons

That ties in with other pics of the pre-1920 era (after which the load and tare descriptions were squeezed in either side of standard 16" G W on 3-plankers), but is 14" an official figure? (The Bible notes merely notes "minor variations occurred on other wagons".)

• RMweb Premium

That ties in with other pics of the pre-1920 era (after which the load and tare descriptions were squeezed in either side of standard 16" G W on 3-plankers), but is 14" an official figure? (The Bible notes merely notes "minor variations occurred on other wagons".)

I was going to check that with you as gwr.org.uk says 16". I think I got 14" from Atkins et al. (1998 edition) but I've returned the copy I had to its owner. But I do think that in the OP photo, the letters look smaller on the 3-plank wagon, and also on a 2-plank wagon here (see discussion here et seq.). If the 2-planker has 11" planks, 14" seems about right. The vertically-oriented 4-planker has the 25" letters.

While I'm about it, gwr.org.uk says 16" came in about 1920; I had 1923 in my mind, possibly from reading Atkins, so would welcome clarification as I have 1922 as my "reserve" period!

EDIT: In the OP photo, if the 4-planker has 7" (or thereabouts) planks, the letters are clearly 16".

Edited by Compound2632

I will check the Atkins et al 1998 in due course. (Strange that its 14" wasn't carried over to the 'edition 3 bible'.)

gwr.org's '1920' is a bit of shorthand, and is possibly too accurate, or even inaccurate, so I have just changed it to "c 1920". Does that sound better? The changeover would I think have been gradual (to a degree), which is probably why the books can't tell us exactly when it started. We need some fresh-painted 1920-1922 wagon pics.

Agreed the 4-planker is 16".

Just wandering through the Ambaile archive, I found this photo of pre-grouping wagons at Kyle. But the thing I can't get my head round is the wagon in the lower right foreground marked GB. Which railway was that?

Sadly I can't work out how to embed the image here, but the url is:

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/asset/show_zoom_window_popup_img.html?asset=11877

Andy G

Great picture.

The number looks to be 23451, and I would say it is a GER Diagram 17 5-plank from the 2200-2400 batch, built no earlier than 1898 and probably 1899.

It is a 9'6" w/b, steel u/f type.  From 1898 to 1900, separate maker's and load plates were used, fixed on the second to bottom planks 3" from the corner plates, so I assume that is what the oval plate is in your photograph. After which there was a combined plate was located on the bottom plank, right-hand side (see picture below). 

The date must be far enough in the future for an 1899 wagon to have been repainted in the 1903 large letter livery.

The picture below is a 1901 wagon apparently pictured in 1910 that spent 8 years in its old livery before the repaint.

Don't thank me, thank Basilica Fields!

post-25673-0-85498200-1511982842.jpg

• Like 1

One something like this:

https://miscellanymodels.com/rolling-stock/highland-railway-early-pattern-lookout-for-dia-38-brake-van/

Strange that Vallance in his book on the Highland Railway claims there was nothing interesting about HR goods rolling stock!

Edited by eastglosmog

• RMweb Premium

One something like this:

https://miscellanymodels.com/rolling-stock/highland-railway-early-pattern-lookout-for-dia-38-brake-van/

Strange that Vallance in his book on the Highland Railway claims there was nothing interesting about HR goods rolling stock!

What a blinkered attitude. There is no such thing as an uninteresting goods wagon, just people who aren't interested in it. Their loss!

Edited by Compound2632