Small layout for a film, shooting early 2018. Now finished - 'thank you' for help given.

Jamiel

At long last parts are here and ready to start on the layout. Appologies for the carpet (rented spare room) and the poor focus.

FilmLayout01.jpg

The loco did end up being a diesel. We wanted the same loco in these colours to match the colour scheme of the room we are filming in/studio set.

prod_41288.jpg

That seems to be out of stock, so I will be respraying this loco.

FilmLayout02.jpg

I also will re-spray one of the Ebay wagons we have bought to those colours. I have some transfers to add on as for copyright we have to avoid any known logos, so a combination of odd letters will create a fictitious train company.

It will also be building the Walthers kits in the next couple of days. It should all be together by the end of the week.

We will be selling most of the bit rolling stock on Ebay after the shoot, but it will be in the colours we end up spraying the loco, and a couple of the wagons into. It will devalue the sale, but they need to be that way for the shoot. I am hoping to end up with some of the buildings in return for building that layout and also lending some controllers and odd bits.

I will have some more photos soon.

Thank you for all the suggestions and help.

Jamie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rolling stock being repainted for the shoot. We couldn't get the black and orange ALCO S4 we wanted, so I am respraying out one to those colours. We also have to remove any obvious logos, so here are a few photos of the progress.

North pacific and other logos removed with T-cut and cocktail stick method.

FilmLayout03.jpg

FilmLayout04.jpg

Masked for the orange band.

FilmLayout05.jpg

Respray underway.

FilmLayout07.jpg

FilmLayout06.jpg

FilmLayout08.jpg

I think it will need another coat of the orange to stop the yellow stripes showing through, and then some transfers, I think fro one of the British pre grouping companies looks very American.

They should all be done this time tomorrow.

The layout is being out together at the studios, so I will grab a photo of that soon. I am finishing a few of the buildings here too.

We will be selling most/all of the rolling stock and buildings after the shoot on Ebay of anyone is interested.

Filming going well, but will be glad to get indoors after a week of night shoots outside in woodlands, not very warm.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

Rolling stock and buildings ready to deliver. Loco  resprayed and transfers added to avoid copyright issues. The best transfer pack I could get was for North British railways, but the fonts are very generic soon an American loco in a generic font will be fine.

Some paint and varnish still drying in these photos.

FilmLayout09.jpg

By the time this is seen on camera, the text will not be legible, but those well known Pennsylvanian cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh will puzzle some people, as will the transport of fish by a large mineral wagon.

FilmLayout10.jpg

A Walthers Merchant row, this is genuinely USA.

FilmLayout11.jpg

I will try and grab some photos of the layout at the studios later.

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

As promised here are some photos of the layout in prep' at the film studios. I laid a simple loop of track, less chance of anything going wrong. Apart from the buildings, the rest has been done by the art department on the film, there are lots of trees made from teh ends of wire brushes painted green to go on as well.

You can see how removed from an exhibition layout this is, a simple set built by a dad for his son. There is a point where a bottle of sauce is put on a flat wagon and tries to run around, but falls off, so a quality layout would not have been suitable.

FilmLayout12.jpg

FilmLayout13.jpg

My daughter is admiring things in art store room.

FilmLayout14.jpg

I try and get a photo of it when it is in the set and lit for filming.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to have some photos of the layout on the shoot, covered with a huge pizza box and lots of bottles of beer very soon. By that description you can see why we wanted to build our own layout in the end, and not damage someone's pride and joy.

Now that part of the shoot is done, some of the things are being sold off on Ebay. I hope it is OK for me to post these links. 3 sales.

Bachmann, Item No: 63109, HO gauge, S4 Diesel Loco, DCC ready, boxed. - £35, or best offer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Item-No-63109-HO-gauge-S4-Diesel-Loco-DCC-ready-boxed/192503879855?epid=4010875898&hash=item2cd22018af:g:FboAAOSwrjhax5tQ

Bachmann Silver Series, Ho Gauge, Flat Car, Norfolk & Western, boxed - bids
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Silver-Series-Ho-Gauge-Flat-Car-Norfolk-Western-boxed/192503877480?hash=item2cd2200f68:g:U6QAAOSwcxVax5~h

Job Lot of HO Gauge Railroad Stock, Track and Buildings - £15
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Job-Lot-of-HO-Gauge-Railroad-Stock-Track-and-Buildings/192503888873?hash=item2cd2203be9:g:nYQAAOSwo~1ax6Qr

Thank you for all the advice in this thread.

Jamie

• 1 year later...

The film for which I built the small trainset has been premiered at Frighfest in London, and will be on Netflix (I think) in the coming months.

Here is a link to the trailer and an interview with the director Carl Strathie and producer Charlette Kilby. I also worked as visual effects supervisor on the film.

You can see the trainset very briefly in the trailer, although it just looks like the dinner table where the family are gathered eating over it.

The film has been getting some very good reviews and people have suggested that there is a bright future for Carl and Charlette, I have felt this since first working with them on their first feature 'Solis' (also on Netflix - a one hander of a man trapped in an escape pod, a great piece of low budget sci-fi film making I feel).

• Like 2