What purpose does this GWR structure serve?

Mikkel

• RMweb Premium

Out of interest,something from: Hawkins & Reeve, Great Western Railway engine sheds - London Division, 1987:

From October [1906] a simple wooden coal stage was established at one end of the shed, above the buffer stops, but it is not clear to what extent it was used...The steam units were stabled on the down side of the station and the shed used for trailers.

Edit.

If you have this book, page 129, there is a photo of No. 98 and, behind it, the coal stage, though I can't work out what is standing on it.  Some mechanical parts, perhaps, but there does seem to be a layer of coal on it as well.

Edited by southern42

Hi All,

How about this then? I was sent this by the erstwhile Mr Drew...

post-14393-0-74366900-1517511973_thumb.jpeg

A Railmotor, actually being coalled at the coal stage! Interestingly in the background is the footbridge on which many decades later, the GWS was founded and as a result, the Railmotor was eventually brought back from the dead!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

That prompts two questions - first, then what is the structure that is just visible in the bottom left corner of the picture, which would have been just outside the railmotor shed, and second, if the coal was transferred from wagons standing on the shed road into backets on the platform, then why are the two coal wagons on a different siding, trapped by other rolling stock? There ought also to be a stock of the wicker baskets sitting around somewhere, either filled awaiting transfer into the bunker of the SRM, or empty and awaiting filling.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I can answer most of that. It doesn’t take that long to fill the bunker on a Railmotor - it’s just not that big. They also don’t burn a lot of coal so a 20ton coal wagon would have been there for a short while at least. It wouldn’t have been in and out in a day.

If it was equipment that was specific to the Railmotor and nothing else then they would have probably carried the basket on the machine as part of the tools that went with the loco and there is plenty of room in the cab to have stashed more than one of them behind the boiler.

And finally, ask yourself a question. If you had a fuel that was used all over the country by both companies and private individuals in vast quantities, would you leave it in hanging around in handily moved baskets? Leaving it hanging around in wagons and at sheds is bad enough...

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

attachicon.gif3ED37E25-E53F-4E78-A98E-3D476ED42E05.jpeg

A Railmotor, actually being coalled at the coal stage! Interestingly in the background is the footbridge on which many decades later, the GWS was founded and as a result, the Railmotor was eventually brought back from the dead!

All the best,

Castle

Can you see the join?

You can see that image was created from two photos - the tracks and rooflines to the left of the chimney don't line up with those on the right. What was the vantage point - was the water softening plant there then?

Hi All,

Can you see the join?

You can see that image was created from two photos - the tracks and rooflines to the left of the chimney don't line up with those on the right. What was the vantage point - was the water softening plant there then?

I wasn’t paying attention to that! Well spotted!

Except that the railmotor doesn't appear fragmented

I think that everything west of the chimney except the white (?) wall and everything below it including the Railmotor. That much is correct!

Ah, that's the clever art of the early 19th century photocropper!

I’d love to know how they did it - some clever bit of developer art perhaps? A literal cut and paste? Either that or the Photoshop version minus 28 wasn’t as good as the ones we have today...

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

attachicon.gif3ED37E25-E53F-4E78-A98E-3D476ED42E05.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

QED. Case closed.

Apart from resolving the issue, it's an interesting picture (as most of these early railway pictures are) even if it is a bit of a cut and paste.

Jim

Hi All,

If you like liked that one, you will also like the second bit of information that Mr Drew has sent through after reading our thread and allowing the little grey cells to work:

“The "structure almost out of shot" is the retaining wall for the ash stowage area - see (very bad) photo [below:]”

post-14393-0-29152900-1517574240_thumb.jpeg

“The join in the photo is because it was scanned from an advertising pamphlet produced by the Marg. Co that spanned two pages - see [below] for an even worse example.”

post-14393-0-85408200-1517574348_thumb.jpeg

“The photo vantage point is I guess the signal post adjacent to the shed also shown in the bad photo. - note also the original style fogman's hut for the Brentford Branch Home Signal and the signal post height due to the bad sighting approaching the station (there is still a 5MPH approach to the station to this day!)”

Sometimes, it’s not what you know but who you know... I have sent our thanks to Graham for taking the time to interact and help us here.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“The photo vantage point is I guess the signal post adjacent to the shed also shown in the bad photo.

Actually, looking at a photo in "Branch lines of West London" by Middleton Press, I think the vantage point was the water softening tower, like I earlier wondered. It was apparently built in 1905, and looking at the photo it's about the right position and height to give that sort of viewpoint. There's also a couple of shots containing the railmotor shed, including a 1957 one with the remains of a wall at a right angle to the long retaining wall, and this could be what was left of the structure bottom left in the original photo. 

• RMweb Gold

In Castle's post #53, and as a digression, I note approximately the same number of roofs that are 'white', 'medium dark' and 'darker-dark'.

I reckoned the composition as 3 white, 2 nearly white, 7 medium grey (slightly variable) and one properly dark.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That prompts two questions - first, then what is the structure that is just visible in the bottom left corner of the picture, which would have been just outside the railmotor shed, and second, if the coal was transferred from wagons standing on the shed road into backets on the platform, then why are the two coal wagons on a different siding, trapped by other rolling stock? There ought also to be a stock of the wicker baskets sitting around somewhere, either filled awaiting transfer into the bunker of the SRM, or empty and awaiting filling.

Jim

Further to the 'trapped' coal wagons.  If you had a long siding right next to the entrance to a factories private siding what would it be logical to use it for?  answer empties waiting to go in (the most likely use) or possibly unmarshalled loads which have been pulled from the private siding and not yet marshalled in the yard.  As 'Castle' has pointed out the coal wagons are going to be there for a few days - especially so as there are two of them (which might not always have been the case of course) so nothing wrong with standing other wagons on top of them in the siding.

Incidentally - without wishing to loose any more hares on an unsuspecting audience - I did wonder if all those nice clean wagons in the original picture were a newly arrived batch specifically intended for the margarine traffic and possibly lettered regarding a need to return them to Southall?

PS I trust that 'Castle's' involvement of the other estimable gentleman from the GWS in this thread has not distracted the latter from the review of a certain CAD although I would think and hope that he would l have done that by now ;)

• RMweb Premium

Incidentally - without wishing to loose any more hares on an unsuspecting audience - I did wonder if all those nice clean wagons in the original picture were a newly arrived batch specifically intended for the margarine traffic and possibly lettered regarding a need to return them to Southall?

Apologies if I missed it but has the date of the OP photo been stated? They seem to be all pre-Iron Mink wood Minks bar one Iron Mink; I think what looks like additional writing is actually reflection from the 45 degree bevel of the bottom frame member. And is that lighter-coloured open lettered M R? At about half the height of the Minks, it could well be a D299 5-plank open.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I doubt they had location-specific marking. They are a repainted batch of outside-framed Minks. (Not surprising, really, given their build period of some two decades earlier.)

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

If you like liked that one, you will also like the second bit of information that Mr Drew has sent through after reading our thread and allowing the little grey cells to work:

“The "structure almost out of shot" is the retaining wall for the ash stowage area - see (very bad) photo [below:]”

attachicon.gif7A66A520-F7DD-4E37-80B5-52F116950445.jpeg

“The join in the photo is because it was scanned from an advertising pamphlet produced by the Marg. Co that spanned two pages - see [below] for an even worse example.”

attachicon.gif95B7A0F1-A0A8-406A-82F4-21C32F6FAD24.jpeg

“The photo vantage point is I guess the signal post adjacent to the shed also shown in the bad photo. - note also the original style fogman's hut for the Brentford Branch Home Signal and the signal post height due to the bad sighting approaching the station (there is still a 5MPH approach to the station to this day!)”

Sometimes, it’s not what you know but who you know... I have sent our thanks to Graham for taking the time to interact and help us here.

All the best,

Castle

Fantastic, thanks very much Castle - and Mr Drew. All very modellable, I think.  

Apologies if I missed it but has the date of the OP photo been stated? They seem to be all pre-Iron Mink wood Minks bar one Iron Mink; I think what looks like additional writing is actually reflection from the 45 degree bevel of the bottom frame member. And is that lighter-coloured open lettered M R? At about half the height of the Minks, it could well be a D299 5-plank open.

The photo in the OP is cropped from a larger image in GWRJ No. 6, pages 253 and 255. The caption says "c. 1913".

The photo is in fact part of a larger panorama composed of several photos which shows the factory and railway. The impressive second image in post #60 is part of the same panorama, and was therefore presumably taken at the same time.

I doubt they had location-specific marking. They are a repainted batch of outside-framed Minks. (Not surprising, really, given their build period of some two decades earlier.)

And another good example of why the David Geen kits for these vehicles are an important part of his range. 

Edited by Mikkel

I reckoned the composition as 3 white, 2 nearly white, 7 medium grey (slightly variable) and one properly dark.

John

How do we grade the Railmotor roof?!?*

Hat, coat, gone...

All the best,

Castle

*Its rather pleasing to note that No. 93’s roof looks pretty similar at the moment!

• Like 1