Hornby H Class motor gear "binding".

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to a previous tip posted by a member, I have been able to remedy a running problem with my Hornby H class 0-4-4T (R3539) and have included this post which may be of assistance to others.

Purchased late last year and having test run successfully on 12V DC, I hard wired a Lenz Silver Mini decoder after which the loco continued to run perfectly.

It was then put into "store" for the winter and on being reintroduced to service, was continually prone to intermittent stalling on clean track at low speeds.

After removing the loco body the fault was still present denoting the flywheel was not in contact with anything.

Digging deeper, by slackening the four tiny screws atop the motor casing thus easing pressure between worm and gearing the fault disappeared suggesting the contact pressure between motor worm and gearing was excessive.

I inserted a paper shim made from 80 gsm printer paper longitudinally along each side of the casing adjacent the worm before re-attaching the motor.

Problem solved, but why it should have manifested itself after storage is a mystery.

In this instance a warranty fix would not have been accepted owing to my hard wiring of the small decoder.

Please see attached photo for referece

post-28573-0-88667900-1524819435_thumb.jpg