The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Mystery...

Peter Crawford

A cautionary note - I believe Peter Crawford to be the same person as JamesPetts and Ed Winterbury (and other aliases) with a record of asking numerous questions disregarding replies, not doing anything with information given and wasting contributors' time.

Aaaah that explains the replies on the now locked DJM thread.

Thanks Andy.

You really would think he could find a better way of spending his leisure time. Quite sad really!

I definitely am not these individuals. Ed and I are good friends- perhaps so close that we do share some traits! But nothing to do with Mr Petts.

FACT: I ask a lot of questions.

FICTION: I'm the same person.

I don't mind some 'mystery' like this but it is a myth.

Surely the only real “mystery” is why you enjoy wasting your and others time! :-)

Thank you for the clarification on James Petts; you must indeed be a good friend of Ed seemingly having used the same computer/location at times. :)

I've done a little more digging (based on something Ed was a PITA for) - why have you PM'd 10+ members for more details of layouts they have for sale or have sold asking for more information? Potentially you are wasting a lot of peoples' time which will ultimately mean that restrictions will be placed on your usage of the site. 

This is the intrigue so far.

PITA is considered 'vulgar slang' by the Oxford English Dictionary https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/pita

I point out that I am not James Petts, a guy I've never heard of in my life. I live near (a couple of houses down the road from his place) Ed. I have asked for more info as a potential buyer. That's all. The same computer sounds really odd. It is very unlikely. I spend my free time enjoying the model railway hobby digitally and physically. I wish to apologise to anyone who actually thinks that I was a bit of an annoyance before Andrew York mentioned it. The same goes for people who feel so afterwards genuinely. I give you my sincere apologies.

I will now talk a bit about the people who I am somewhat uncomfortable with. These are people who have formed opinions based on hearsay. I don't mind Mr York making these statements as long as people don't form misguided opinions. After all, he does have rights under the Human Rights Act- the freedom of speech and expression. I also wish to enquire what 'line of enquiry' Mr York used. I admit to messaging numerous members regarding their layouts. This is only to see if they're something I want to buy. Caveat Emptor.

The DJM thread was locked. I don't understand why a member chose very deliberately single me out for some blame. No-one was to blame. The thread was getting a bit out of hand, but I cannot say that I created the problems. These are the kinds of comments that are incredibly unjust. I believe there's a word in the dictionary for it. I think it's called malice :) Only joking. Don't forget the 'show' element while reading this!

I perhaps don't take things too seriously when asking questions (can't pay for some boards whilst re-flooring the modelling space etc.)  but it didn't harm anyone...did it? My apologies to those who took offence at this.

All in all, I'm an ordinary person who wants a big layout while needing to manage without a colossal budget. That's why O doesn't form my main layout. I've figured out that I'm very much a 'runner' in case that helps.

• RMweb Gold

I was first aware of you several weeks ago, when you were asking questions about French-prototype matters. A number of earnest answers later it seemed none of the responses had met your need. More recently you have added oblique contributions to a thread where a decent member asks for serious advice about an affordable DCC system to enable his mates to run on part of his layout.

The forum does attract butterflies.

My daughter gets this a lot on Ebay. Seemingly potential buyers asking many questions about items (she sells old baby clothes and toys which are no longer of any use to her or the children, with plenty of photos and an honest description). There are folk who want to pay cash, others who want to view the item concerned, others who ask so many pedantic questions about a 0-3 month old sleep suit (how difficult can it be not to know what you are getting?); the list goes on and on. 

Initially, she did make arrangements for a couple of these people to view items, but made sure grandparents (us) were going to be there as backup. On a few occasions after lots of questions and setting a time, no one ever turned up. 

Now, she just ignores most of the questioners, or refers them to the descriptions. 

None of the family can understand what enjoyment the incessant questioners are getting out of the exercise, other than maybe being able to communicate with anonymous people. 

Sorry for going O/T, but the thread sounded so familiar. 

You show the attributes of an attention-seeking, time-wasting sock-puppet* I'm afraid and this topic is just further evidence of it.

Subsequent posts in any topic will be moderated as I wish to avoid anyone's time being wasted.

*By definition rather than to be considered as an insult.

• Like 2