Single track terminus based within the Chilterns

greglikestrains

I'm planning a small shelf layout and could do with your help please. 

I'm working with around 7'*7" and I want to run my 3 car Class 168 on this layout and shorter trains.

I got inspired by Aylesbury Vale Parkway and the Aylesbury to Princes Risborough branch along with Avallon station in France.

I'm going to try and keep the scenery dynamic and keep the layout small so it can all be well modelled. The plan is to have it on an embankment enabling roads and canals to pass underneath. The scenic break is going to be half way so the Class 168 can shuttle in and out but a siding will be on the other side on display for freight to sit.

post-30979-0-19704100-1534333140_thumb.png

Here are some track plans in which the station is on the left with the siding on the right but this is where I could do with some help.

Currently favouring the bottom one however the top ones have a freight bypass but this may takeaway from my single track appearance.

Will the track plan be realistic and what changes would you make?

How would I create a scenic break? - Currently thinking of an A-road girder bridge.

How will I hide the fiddle yard? - a factory or some sort of building but I don't want trains to vanish when they should be going through the bridge and returning the other side

The aesthetic i'm looking for is nicely summed up in this photo:

165036_165027_165015_Little_Kimble_2017.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/165036_165027_165015_Little_Kimble_2017.htm - not my photo

Thanks

Edited by greglikestrains
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the idea of reinstating the branch to Thame has been looked at. There was oil traffic there which would give you freight interest as well as passenger (168).

Or, what if Chesham (which itself is a stub of what was intended to be a line through to Tring) was handed over by LUL to Chiltern?

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

just do a model loosely based on aylesbury vale parkway

all built on a small embankment, single 'freight line' to the rear, platform on a siding off the line, road bridge going over the track on the left hand behind some trees to disguise the fiddle yard and one going under the line at the other end (A41 in real life) then add your canal, road etc to suit, stick a signal at the platform end and one on the 'calvert' branch and you can have freight 'displayed' supposedly waiting for a train to come or go from the platform

• Like 3

Take the bottom plan. Use the bottom track, point and kick-back siding.

Add another track above the bottom track, and just run it and the bottom track from the station area under a bridge into a fiddle yard. Use a sector plate, cassettes or traverser to fiddle the stock between the two visible tracks at the station end.

You can place a platform above the top track, between the two station tracks, or under the bottom track.

You will need a second loco to retrieve freight in the kick-back siding. 

I did a diagram but can't attach it successfully. PM me if you would like it.

aac                 

• Like 2