Real Working Point Rodding

• RMweb Gold

The link to all the information is below

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/working-point-rodding-newsletter/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=b6f9f8c863-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_04_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ed6dc9c41e-b6f9f8c863-197241021&mc_cid=b6f9f8c863&mc_eid=a7b87b9bc0

Can be used to actually work or can be driven by the point motor or just cosmetic. Pricey but some parts are gold plated!!

The link to all the information is below

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/working-point-rodding-newsletter/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=b6f9f8c863-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_04_04_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ed6dc9c41e-b6f9f8c863-197241021&mc_cid=b6f9f8c863&mc_eid=a7b87b9bc0

Can be used to actually work or can be driven by the point motor or just cosmetic. Pricey but some parts are gold plated!!

They better be gold plated for that price!

I'm not sure how well it'll work if you install and the lay ballast and if you lay the rodding on top of the ballast, it'll look odd. I'm not convinced

Simon

I take it your talking a scale of 4mm ? A punter at a show watching from about a metre away isn't likely to see much movement, is it worth the hassle for a maximum of under 2mm rod pull ?? But good luck, there's not enough hours in a day as it is!!

• Like 1

It is most satisfying installing real working point rodding. I've done a fair bit this year. A fairly big job for NR. Two working points at a private location and one groundframe on a heritage railway with two more to do.

post-4034-0-13673100-1537389639_thumb.jpg

Oh. Hang on. This 4mm scale. ooops.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. Half of me rather fancies working point rodding. Like a lot of modelling, knowing that it does is a personal satisfaction, the fact you can't see it moving from a foot away is not the real issue.  I can see it being a bit of a nightmare given that the metal expands with heat and the baseboards expand with humidity.

The other half of me fumbles for my specs and feels rather relieved that the Caledonian boarded it all in. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-19050-of-elbows-and-rodding/

• RMweb Gold

I can see it being a bit of a nightmare given that the metal expands with heat and the baseboards expand with humidity.

That's what the compensator cranks are for. How do you think they get on in the real world with frost and direct sunlight to cope with?

All you have to do is conquer the black art of where to put them.

• Like 1

All you have to do is conquer the black art of where to put them.

Having just put in a temporary ground frame where the compensation is wrong the difference between morning and afternoon is noticeable but not a problem. The total length is 15 yards. In it’s final configuration it will be correct.

• Like 1