Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

WessexEclectic

It was posted on here - in the Industrial Railway section. I can’t link on my phone by just google ‘loco passing between two shops’ and you’ll find the thread. 
It’s from a set of Rady-Dowlais freight working and the location is Caeharris Crossing, Dowlais High Street. You can still find it on google street view 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's the same place as this (the most favourited photo on my Flickr pages)

10421420063_69506549d4_z.jpgOCT 74B Shunter crossing Dowlais High Street, September 1974 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

It looks from the state of the tracks in your picture that it was taken after closure, or at least after a period of disuse.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Noriced there was another crossing further down the High St. (opposite what is now Gwernllwyn Road). This was a line between the Ivor and Dowlais Iron Works:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.456927721942115&lat=51.7622&lon=-3.3472&layers=6&right=BingHyb

(The line on the left. The line on the right is the one in the OP, leading into Cae Harris Station)

Looking on Streetview, there remain what look like original walls either side of the line.

Screenshot_20191101-164649.png

Edited by keefer
Insert image

• RMweb Premium

Also the subject of a painting by Cedric Morris https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/caeharris-post-office-from-gwernlwyn-house-153535/search/actor:morris-cedric-lockwood-18891982/page/4, athough I don't think the post office shown in the painting is in the same premises as in the photos - it's probably a bit further down the hill nearer the lower level crossing.

SW_MTM_42_992-001.jpg.cb2348ba3e80e2c430334d5577fa1cf1.jpg

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2