PeterLoader

Good to see progress Peter. It’s a big project and I’m sure it will keep you busy for many years yet. keep up the posts when you get chance. 

Trying to capture a real location is all about compromise.

My Dawlish Warren is almost complete which just as well with spring coming on and the garden (complete with railway) calling me.

9D31DBCE-177A-4869-B402-A0630694012F.jpeg

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 10

thanks, Chris - likewise good to see Dawlish Warren progressing well. I recall seeing it at one of the virtual shows - excellent work!

It had crossed my mind to include Dawlish Warren instead of Dawlish but there is more than enough for me to operate with Newton Abbot and then one day Kingswear given that it will just be me operating it most of the time.

I'm hoping at some point to run 24 hours (well maybe 0600-2300) real time and see if I can keep up. It won't be a full timetable - probably about 60% of the passenger trains that ran on a summer weekday.

I'm not far off being able to do that for Newton Abbot - once I have the turntable and shed in, that will just leave the Moreton Hampstead route into Newton Abbot to lay - so 5 turnouts and the joining track in total. The Kingswear line only goes as far as the Paignton fiddleyard but that has enough sidings to suffice for now. On my railway history was a little different as the Moreton Hampstead branch was also extended to join the Southern between Crediton and Okehampton, with the Southern having joint running powers and some through trains to Torbay (a hangover from all the southern stock I had from my old Exeter St. Davids railway looking for an excuse to run!)

Edited by PeterLoader
  • Like 3

I will be following the progress of this project as the size and scope is similar to my own, and follows the same design concept - terminus to terminus with an intermediate station that trains can loop through. Given the size, how the scenery progresses  as well...

12 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I will be following the progress of this project as the size and scope is similar to my own, and follows the same design concept - terminus to terminus with an intermediate station that trains can loop through. Given the size, how the scenery progresses  as well...

Cool - just looked at your blog. Well done on getting all the boards done. I must confess I cheated - my wife's friend's husband does  carpentry.

Have you got a track plan?

• RMweb Gold
On 22/03/2021 at 16:35, Chris M said:

My Dawlish Warren is almost complete

Have you got a topic for your new layout?

(With apologies for gate crashing Pete’s topic.)

Paul.

18 hours ago, PeterLoader said:

Cool - just looked at your blog. Well done on getting all the boards done. I must confess I cheated - my wife's friend's husband does  carpentry.

Have you got a track plan?

I have just posted it, but dont rush to see it..

Talking of Dawlish Warren, I was just looking at the 1933 OS map

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106005161

First the long sidings north of the station.

image.png.fa0e867d19a33785d111d49d76ef41ee.png

Then the map shows the "cattle pen" sidings that later became the Camping Coach sidings.

image.png.a03829cf34a85015f3b5b3ab629c694a.png

But I've spotted something I'd never noticed before, a wiggly siding that goes out onto the Warren itself.

image.png.8b26e0b187fce2cb704acd47efe7e2d7.png

Does anyone else know about that? What was it for?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2021 at 20:24, KeithMacdonald said:

Talking of Dawlish Warren, I was just looking at the 1933 OS map

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106005161

First the long sidings north of the station.

image.png.fa0e867d19a33785d111d49d76ef41ee.png

Then the map shows the "cattle pen" sidings that later became the Camping Coach sidings.

image.png.a03829cf34a85015f3b5b3ab629c694a.png

But I've spotted something I'd never noticed before, a wiggly siding that goes out onto the Warren itself.

image.png.8b26e0b187fce2cb704acd47efe7e2d7.png

Does anyone else know about that? What was it for?

As well as the loops and camping coach sidings I have always 'known' that at one time there was a siding to unload boulders for sea defence work. I thought it was the one on the down side leading towards Langstone Rock, but presumably also included the siding you mention.

cheers

• Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

5355 heads away from Dawlish with the 09:25 departure for Exeter St. David's  from Kingswear. The train comprises through coaches to Paddington and the North West to be added to their respective trains at Exeter St. David's.

In modelling terms it left the Torbay fiddleyard (Kingswear isn't built yet) and passed through Newton Abbot. 5355 is a surprisingly good runner for a 2nd hand purchase from ebay that I had fitted with a decoder by DCC Supplies, my local retailer. Goodness knows how old it is. It's only fault is the occasional derailment of its front bogie - hopefully a bit of weight on that might fix it when I get a chance (it's logged in my maintenance database as priority 2 - which probably means 2025!). The collet coaches are also sub-£10 a throw ebay purchases collected over the years.

I've finally started running my timetable - this is my 2nd running session and I'm only about  4 hours in. I'm trying to run it to real time (albeit the 0520 trains started at 1720etc! - at some point I'll switch to the correct part of the 24-hour clock! ). So far my conclusion is that running it real time is about right - lack of planning ahead and the odd gremlin means that some of the trains have been late thus far but I think they could run to time with a bit more practice. Perhaps once I get good at it I can increase the proportion of trains off the real timetable that I include in my cut down version.

5355 leaving Dawlish on 29042021.jpg

Edited by PeterLoader
picture was lost
  • Like 9

• 1 year later...

Well it has been a long time since I posted on here but I haven't been totally idle. I have 4 points to wire up for the Moretonhampstead bay platform at Newton Abbot and then track laying for Newton Abbot will be complete! I've also done a fair bit of scenery on the Dawlish section as will be seen from the attached photo. I haven't moved to Australia but the preview image is upside down - not sure why when it is ok on my desktop!

I also have a guided tour of the railway recorded by putting my recently acquired GoPro onto a wagon - some of my bridges and tunnels are a bit low so that required putting it onto a low loader wagon. I'll try uploading that to vimeo and posting a link here as it is 600Mb in size.

More photos etc to follow

King at Dawlish.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again. Made some progress on the Kingswear extension by creating some of the trackbase up from the Paignton fiddleyard. I need to decide whether to go for bullhead rail on this section, but my Kingswear trackplan has around 5 curved turnouts in it. Does anyone know if / when Peco plans to release these. I don't mind waiting a few months but otherwise I'll stick with the cheaper option.