Printing white window frames

A Scalescenes modeller from California has emailed me about his rather nice solution to 'printing' white window frames using Laser transfer foil and I thought I'd pass it on.

Unfortunately, one of the few limitations of my downloadable kits is the fact that when you print my windows on to transparency film, black is really the only colour that has enough opacity. This may well be a relatively cheap solution and I certainly think its worth looking into (I'll be ordering a roll very soon to try out!)

This foil is designed to adhere to black toner (laser printer or photocopier) on the surface of the clear film (or even decal film). Here's some more information and a UK stockist (another great product from Crafty Computer Paper!)

http://www.pulsarpro...w/Overview.html

http://www.craftycom...D=654&CatID=235

Here's a sample that Ray produced.

post-8868-127555630814.jpeg

Hi, All,

What an interesting site! All very clever stuff, too.

I have discovered a way to make the Scalesene window print-outs look a little less 'inky-black and shiny', by way of dusting them immediately with talcum powder as theyemerge from the ink-jet printer. Shake off the excess and LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR 24 HOURS, then brush them off with the finest brush you can muster. SWMBO has given me a make-up brush called a 'blender', used for smudging one colour of face paint into another, which seems to do the job well.

I have tried light brown and yellow pastel powder with varying degrees of success, too but it is difficult to scrape them fine enough. I have not tried 'Weathering Powders', I understand they are finer.

Herewith a picture, compare the untouched windows on the left compared with the greyish finish of those on the right, it might be worth trying.

Doug

post-106-127557447232_thumb.jpg

Guest Moria

now that is excellent.

I will get an order going for white and a grey stone colour for the church.

Excellent, thanks

Regards

Graham

now that is excellent.

I will get an order going for white and a grey stone colour for the church.

Excellent, thanks

Regards

Graham

Could be problematic with the Church windows as the black 'toner' extends into the stained glass section...

Guest Moria

aha snag! ok let me have a look when I print the church up and see what I can do.. maybe a little mor work needed then in cutting masks. Worth a try I guess rolleyes.gif

Regards

Graham

• 6 months later...

I bought some of the laser transfer foil,to tryout. quite pleased with the results,i now have a supply of windows for my next project.

Although i have only a ink jet printer,i managed to get a local stationers to print the OHP film(photo copy grade as film only works with toner remember) for me for around 40p a sheet,if i remember correctly.Just took a plane paper copy down for him to work off.

Tel

Hi You probably know this but just in case,make sure you use OHC film percificly for laser printers as ordnary film could melt and damage your printer.

Tel

Fascinating. Shame most of my building construction is finished for the next while. However, it gives me time to find out where to get and what clear film printing I can do on my Laser. Thanks

Archived