Fitting Lighting to Hornby Bow Ended Collett Suburban Coaches (R4874 to R4877)

I recently bought a set of four Hornby 57' Bow Ended Suburban coaches (R4874 to R4877) and am planning to populate the coaches and fit interior lighting. I'm going with the battery operated kits from Layouts4U (although I could have sourced the components separately and more cheaply via E-Bay I know. Here are a couple of images of R4876 - the LH bow ended brake 3rd:

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

I fitted some Kaydees but after I found that the 18s I fitted are not long enough. Next opportunity I have it will be down to my local model railway store and get a couple of packs each of 19s and 20s.

I'll post photos of my progress with this very simple project, but the first snag I have it is actually getting inside the coaches. I thought that they would unclip at each corner and and attempted to use some old business card (do people still use those? I  have loads from my old job that I never gave out but kept getting new sets every couple of years...) to unclip the corners but either I wasn't forceful enough or that isn't the way to separate chassis and body. Would really welcome explanations / illustrations on how to master this very basic step.

Edited by Jon Harbour

Sizing it up for how the Layouts4U lighting kit might fit...

IMG_6532.jpg

Soldering the kit up may have to wait for the weekend. Won't take long to wire up and fit it. Kudos for Hornby who have already allowed for the fitting of lighting at the centre of the compartment walls. No need for any butchery there!

Edited by Jon Harbour
Further comments

And now the finished article!

IMG_6550.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased with the result! Need to get more passengers and then I can do the other three coaches in the rake!

Edited by Jon Harbour
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1