Slaters O-gauge Maunsell coach kits

The title says it all really. I've built a number of Parkside wagons (and half built a few more!) and built Parkside passenger vans in 4mm scale.

Are the etched bogies much better than the plastic or does it really not matter too much?

thanks

The title says it all really. I've built a number of Parkside wagons (and half built a few more!) and built Parkside passenger vans in 4mm scale.

Are the etched bogies much better than the plastic or does it really not matter too much?

thanks

If you only want to open the box lid then very easy.

I would have thought brass bogies will be stronger and easier to fix if something goes wrong.

Regards

The ever helpful Martin trying get his post count up so he can post in classifieds!

Paul,

It might be worth you trying one of the 'Van B' kits and seeing how you get on before tackling one of the coaches. A large sheet of glass (or similar) will be useful for assembling the roof, sides and floor, each of which are in two halves. I've built a couple of the 'Van B' - two with etched bogies and one with plastic. I later upgraded the one with plastic bogies to the brass ones. All my Southern coaching stock either has or will use these bogies. I find them very robust and exceedingly detailed. You'll find some views and info on my first completed 'Van B' and a good shot or two of the bogies here, on my old RMWeb thread part way down the page.

In terms of the rest of the Maunsell coach kits they're pretty good. Perhaps the best Maunsell coaches available in any scale, from any source in terms of scale fidelity. It's worth doing homework on the details and particularly the set numbers; there aren't many sets you can make accurately from the range of vehicles that Slater's offer.

In terms of what's in the box? Well most of it is styrene, but you'll find a bag of lost wax castings in there with steps, grabs, footboard brackets and handbrake column if applicable. If you've got the etched bogie version you also get lost wax castings for some of those parts. There are some nice touches; I love the fact that they come with a set of working gangways and that the drop head coupler has a dropping head and the buffers can be made to retract.

In terms of buildability? Well, I've suggested having a play with one of the 'Van B' kits, but if you're determined to go straight for the corridor stock after building Parkside kits I suggest sticking with the plastic bogies. If, on the other hand, you're competant with a soldering iron and want the very best fidelity go for the etched ones. These coaches are lovely kits to build IMHO. Well detailed, a bit challenging, sometimes fiddly and well worth every time and effort. If you want more background there are good pieces in MRJ nos 96 and 169. Both make good suggestions for ways to get good results from the kit.

I'm using some of the Slater's Maunsell coach parts in my current 'Continental' coach build, which may also be of interest.

Steph

• RMweb Premium

I haven't built any of Slater's southern kits but have built several of the Midland ones including a bogie vehicle. The comments above are spot on and the glass sheet is essential. The brass bogies are fiddly but good and on my next set I will make the basic frame and suspension up with normal solder then attach the brake parts with low temperature solder.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

I built one of the compo brakes some time ago and have just about finished a Bogie Van.

The basic plastic kit body is fairly easy to do - just make sure you line everything up before applying glue.

Getting the roof joint right is a bit fiddly.

The bit that take sthe time is drilling holes for footboards etc and fettling the lost wax castings ( especially the buffers) to get it all in place or , in the case of the buffers, to work.

Rather than dive into building an expensive kit try a wagon first - that way you can make sure you have the confidence of putting together in the larger scale.

Archived