Prodigy advance or Advance 2

Hugh Flynn

hi

i have been offered a prodigy advance set but in simple terms what is difference between advance and advance 2.

i have nce power cab so i could buy booster

i now want it for O gauge

No way going to Lenz i have had it and its not for me?

thanks

Hugh

From what I can gather (as owner of a PA) the main difference between the PA and PA2 is that the PA2 supports loco functions F19-F28.

I have one decoder that has functions in that area but there is an alternative way to set these by using a CV. These are items that I don't need to keep changing unlike turning on/off sounds/lights.

From what various people say it's a Rolls-Royce of DCC for the ease of doing most things. The only thing that I have done is to change the lead between the controller and command centre. It is a standard CAT5 cable and working in IT I have many and now have a 5m cable.

For overkill I even use the PA on the Inglenook with just a single loco!

Most of the common functions F0 - F9 can be done by just pressing the button on the controller whilst using the knob for the speed. That is the majority of functions that you'll ever need to change.

Shame I'm not demo'ing at Middleton Railway next week (working bah humbug) otherwise I'd say come along and have a go.

From what I can gather (as owner of a PA) the main difference between the PA and PA2 is that the PA2 supports loco functions F19-F28.

From what various people say it's a Rolls-Royce of DCC

And some people describe it as the Trabant of DCC.

So, in the case of making purchases, do research first on whic systems are appropriate.

Personally, in this case, I'd stick a bigger booster on the NCE system.

The difference between the Prodigy Advance and the Prodigy Advance2 (note it's "Squared" and not "two") is that the "Squared" is an updated version.

The update....

...extends access to additional functions from F19 to F28

...brought in some firmware changes than fixed some bugs and made the system fully NMRA compliant.

There were a number of issues with the PA that were fixed with this update.

A Prodigy Advance (PA) can be updated to "Squared" standard (PA2) by sending it back to the MRC or Gaugemaster (depending on branding) and paying the appropriate fee.

I use the PA on O gauge and have had no problems, I intend to have it updated so I can use the wireless conversion hand set, even a 5m cable is to short in my loft due to the chimney right in the centre. I to used a standard IT cable but be carful as some have a wire crossed and are not straight through.

Even my Heljan 47 runs well on it and it can draw 5amps I'm told, but I have only been able to measure 2 when mine is running. I have had three locos all with 1833 motors running at once without the unit cutting out due to overload, which it should do at 3.5amps according to the manual!

regards

mikeg

Even my Heljan 47 runs well on it and it can draw 5amps I'm told, but I have only been able to measure 2 when mine is running. I have had three locos all with 1833 motors running at once without the unit cutting out due to overload, which it should do at 3.5amps according to the manual!

regards

mikeg

Is 5A possibly the stall current draw of the motors? No idea if you can put enough weight on it to stall them out though!

Read the NCE documentation for chapter and verse, or buy from a UK dealer who understands the products !

In essence, the "Smart Booster" is a small command station which will extend the number of throttles you can use, though its still a small number (unlike the full Power-Pro system command station). The "Booster" is just that, a current booster for more amps.

Though I don't use a PowerCab, I thought that it will run twelve locos simultaneously; set them off and they run until a new command is sent. The "two" limit is the rapid recall stack, which is a different concept.

- Nigel

I'm not sure about the Powercab with a booster but the Powerpro allows upto six locos in the recall stack per throttle......

The SB3a Smart Booster increases the recall stack to 6 locos, allows up to 4 throttles/cabs and increases track power to 5 amp.

Correct me if I've got this wrong folks, but I understand that the Smart Booster replaces the PowerCab's onboard Booster (i.e. it's isolated) and therefore it still only supplies a single Power District.

(I'm not sure if it also replaces (isolates) the PowerCab's Command Station function too, as is the case when a PowerCab is used with a PowerHouse Pro ?).

If additional Power Districts are needed, then N-DB3a Boosters can be used to supply each of those additional Power Districts with it's own 5 amp supply.

hi

thanks for all your info i actually have a 3amp booster for powercab but with you showing me bromsgrove do a trade in plus £42

you can buy smart booster 5amp for powercab this will be way i am going? now just to find 3amp booster??

thanks again for help

Hugh

Archived