A1X Terrier Kits - 4mm scale

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a currently being produced A1X Terrier kit in 4mm scale? I remember many years ago there being a Westwood/Perseverance kit, but can't find any evidence that it's still around.

Are you referring to the etched / whitemetal kit? As far as I know it's no longer available, though they turn up on eBay from time to time. I've got one waiting to be built in the 'new projects' box.....

Otherwise I think there's just the old K's kit - which shows up more rather frequently - and which can be persuaded to make up into a nice model with care and a new chassis.

• RMweb Premium

Are you referring to the etched / whitemetal kit? As far as I know it's no longer available, though they turn up on eBay from time to time. I've got one waiting to be built in the 'new projects' box.....

That's the one. If they're no longer being made by Westwood, I wonder what happened to the moulds? Does anyone know?

Otherwise I think there's just the old K's kit - which shows up more rather frequently - and which can be persuaded to make up into a nice model with care and a new chassis.

Urgh. K's simply isn't a brand I care to look at. The Dapol/Hornby Terrier is a better starting point despite its many faults.

That's the one. If they're no longer being made by Westwood, I wonder what happened to the moulds? Does anyone know?

Urgh. K's simply isn't a brand I care to look at. The Dapol/Hornby Terrier is a better starting point despite its many faults.

Ian

As far as I know Puffers of Kenton took them over and supplied them for a while. Chris Parish moved to near the North York Moor railway and continued to supply the Perserverance kits. I contacted Chris a couple of years ago and and he said he would send me a part from the GWR Railcar (Westwood) which never arrived. Chris has stopped selling kits as far as I know, but I guess he still has the moulds etc for these kits.

Would be nice if he either reintroduced these kits or sold them on to someone who will.

Just a small note - the name of the manufacturer is Westward, which might make searching ebay etc slightly more productive.

There also is/was an etched kit, originally supplied by Loddon Models and later taken into the Falcon Brass range, which may or may not be still available, as I am not sure what the situation at Falcon is following illness.

• RMweb Premium

Just a small note - the name of the manufacturer is Westward, which might make searching ebay etc slightly more productive.

There also is/was an etched kit, originally supplied by Loddon Models and later taken into the Falcon Brass range, which may or may not be still available, as I am not sure what the situation at Falcon is following illness.

Re 'Westward' not 'Westwood' - I didn't know that, oops. Thanks. I will have to do some searches for the brass one, I wasn't aware of it at all. Thanks again.

Actually the K's one makes up better than you might think; it was one of their very early kits, before they got too ambitious, and with the addition of an etched chassis (from Branchlines, I think) it makes up astonishingly well, though you'll probably want to substitute a bit of tube for the two-part boiler.

Of course, you could use the Branchlines chassis under the Hornby model and so bring it down to the right height, but my experience is that it's then so light that it won't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

Archived