A1X Terrier Bits

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to a member of the forum, I am now in the posession of a Westward A1X Terrier kit :)

However, I would like to upgrade some of the parts to improve the final appearance. The parts I need are:

• Sprung Buffers
  • Injectors
  • Lubricators
  • Handrail Knobs
  • Lamp Brackets

Can anyone advise suitable suppliers of these, preferably in quality brass rather than whitemetal?

I am also going to be getting one of the High Level gearboxes and a Mashima motor, and I think I will need to contact Chris at High Level for his advice on which would be best. However, if anyone else has a good idea of which would be best I'd be glad to know.

I'm presuming that Alan Gibson probably does suitable wheels (I'm loath to use Romfords that were originally advised for the kit), and will need to check out what wheels they have.

As yet I haven't decided on what gauge to build to, but I'm partial to trying 18.83, and compensating it. I believe the original Perseverance compensation pack is no longer available, so I'm going to see what High Level have that might fit.

Cheers,

Ian

Alan Gibson can meet most of your needs (buffers, wheels - the only option currently if you want to do P4 - handrail knobs - they also produce a rather nice Westinghouse pump in brass if you're modelling an air-brake fitted loco). Branchlines produce a nice chassis kit and, I think, a few suitable castings including air brake pipes. I'm puzzled what you mean by injectors since you can't see them externally on a Terrier. Do you mean the clack valves (on the boiler, between the smokebox and the front of the tanks)? You'll have to email them for their list: http://branchlines.blogspot.com/

Adam

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the Branchlines chassis is designed to fit under the Dapol/Hornby Terrier, so not likely to be right for the Westward kit. The injectors (according to the Westward instructions) are on the top of the smokebox, connected to pipes that run along the top of the tanks to the front of the tanks and wrap round the boiler in front of the tanks to the footplate. They aren't apparent on the picture of A1 Boxhill on the wikipedia site for the Terriers, but are apparent on the A1X photographs further down on the same page - Wiki for Terriers

Injectors varied from Terrier to Terrier; Stroudley didn't like them, preferring pumps, so they weren't fitted to the engines in their as-new condition.

In due course some of the locos were fitted with lifting injectors hidden in the cab - with a fair bit of very visible and often very untidy piping as a result - while some had visible injectors in a variety of odd places, depending apparently on the whim and taste of the fitter - there's not a lot of room to spare on a Terrier, after all!

As always with these long-lived and much-modified little gems, it's best to get a piccy of the engine you want at the time you want it and work from that.

I suspect the Branchlines chassis is designed to fit under the Dapol/Hornby Terrier, so not likely to be right for the Westward kit. The injectors (according to the Westward instructions) are on the top of the smokebox, connected to pipes that run along the top of the tanks to the front of the tanks and wrap round the boiler in front of the tanks to the footplate. They aren't apparent on the picture of A1 Boxhill on the wikipedia site for the Terriers, but are apparent on the A1X photographs further down on the same page - Wiki for Terriers

Yes, the Branchlines kit would have been designed to suit the Dapol (as it was then) body, or the earlier K's (I've seen the chassis under both types). However, I can't see why you couldn't fit the Westward body, assuming that it's to scale, to a Branchlines chassis. All the design assumptions - thick footplate/buffer beams - are likely to be similar and altering either to suit is hardly going to constitute a major engineering exercise. It has the added bonus of actually being available...

The description from the instructions sounds like ejector pipework for vacuum brake, Boxhill, I think, is air brake only so wouldn't have this pipework (the Brighton being an air brake railway). A length of brass rod of a suitable diameter should do.

Adam

If you eventually decide to use the Branchlines chassis (currently priced at £16.95 and, according to their list, suitable for the Westward kit), do take care when opening the frames out for compensation or sprung suspension. In common with some of the other Branchlines chassis (e.g. O1, "C"), the top line can be very weak because there is insufficient metal above the hornblock openings.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the Branchlines kit would have been designed to suit the Dapol (as it was then) body, or the earlier K's (I've seen the chassis under both types). However, I can't see why you couldn't fit the Westward body, assuming that it's to scale, to a Branchlines chassis. All the design assumptions - thick footplate/buffer beams - are likely to be similar and altering either to suit is hardly going to constitute a major engineering exercise. It has the added bonus of actually being available...

The description from the instructions sounds like ejector pipework for vacuum brake, Boxhill, I think, is air brake only so wouldn't have this pipework (the Brighton being an air brake railway). A length of brass rod of a suitable diameter should do.

Adam

Let me try that again, I mis-interpreted the instructions! The injectors are on top of the firebox (not smokebox as I put originally) with the pipes going forwards along the boiler/tank join to then wrap around the boiler and down the front of the tanks. Apologies for my mistake!

Anyways, the brass rod (or thick wire) is what I had in mind for the pipes, but the injectors themselves are a tiny shaped part on the end of the pipe, and it's those that I'm after.

Let me try that again, I mis-interpreted the instructions! The injectors are on top of the firebox (not smokebox as I put originally) with the pipes going forwards along the boiler/tank join to then wrap around the boiler and down the front of the tanks. Apologies for my mistake!

Anyways, the brass rod (or thick wire) is what I had in mind for the pipes, but the injectors themselves are a tiny shaped part on the end of the pipe, and it's those that I'm after.

So the clacks then? These being the water feed valves on the side of the boiler (I think). Lots of people do those - I think Branchlines do something suitable, as do Markits. Gibson do as well, but they're probably a bit over size for a loco as small as a Terrier.

Adam

• RMweb Premium

So the clacks then? These being the water feed valves on the side of the boiler (I think). Lots of people do those - I think Branchlines do something suitable, as do Markits. Gibson do as well, but they're probably a bit over size for a loco as small as a Terrier.

Adam

No, they're on the back of the boiler/firebox, behind the dome. Try this link: http://www.terriertrust.org.uk/imageshow.php?id=00206 - it's just about visible just behind the dome between the cab and the dome. It looks basically like a round ball.

Archived