Twin Falls

bugs bunny

Twin Falls Logging and Mining Railway was built by Mick and Dan Lawrence, It is well known on the show circuit in the South East England where it has won three best in show awards.

I first saw this layout in 2008, and is the reason I took up Railway Modelling, Here are some pictures that gives you a taste of Twin Falls...there is much more of it..... I just need to get my camera out.

Shay crossing trestle over Falls

post-9929-072705300 1288114782_thumb.jpg

The Mine "Bear Falls" and trestle

post-9929-042604900 1288114846_thumb.jpg

Mick Lawrence and Twin Falls

post-9929-044976100 1288114905_thumb.jpg

Twin Falls Logging and Mining Railway was built by Mick and Dan Lawrence, It is well known on the show circuit in the South East England where it has won three best in show awards.

I first saw this layout in 2008, and is the reason I took up Railway Modelling, Here are some pictures that gives you a taste of Twin Falls...there is much more of it..... I just need to get my camera out.

Shay crossing trestle over Falls

post-9929-072705300 1288114782_thumb.jpg

The Mine "Bear Falls" and trestle

post-9929-042604900 1288114846_thumb.jpg

Mick Lawrence and Twin Falls

post-9929-044976100 1288114905_thumb.jpg

It appears to be quite a small baseboard - is it just a loop and a single siding?

Hi the layout was orignally 8ftx4ft single track with a siding for the mine and also a run through to the engine shed in 2008 we built the middle section as i always wanted to build a sawmill .

The layout is now 12ft6in x 4ft with two sidings one to the log dump and will still have the run through to the engine shed plus a passing loop on the middle trestle bridge all our stock is mainly bachman on30 shays, climax ,porters ect.

Hi

Looks really good great trees and scenery

Matthew

Hi Matthew thanks for your comments i do enjoy making the trees it can be very theraputic and a change from worrying about wiring and DCC problems.

Both my son Daniel and i like the logging railroads with all the unusual locomotives and rolling stock i also like using real timber for the buildings it lends itself to weathering very well.

I will try to put more pictures of twin falls asap.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this layout at Warley yesterday. A great layout and with friendly operators who liked to talk about all things On30. :)

Many thanks for your comments about twin falls , it allways gives me great enjoyment to talk to all the people that look at the layout and talking to you about logging operations and rolling stock it was clear you have a lot of knowledge regarding :steam in the woods: . We picked up some very usefull books about logging operations at the show and some new rolling stock and ideas we intend to make some minor changes to the layout and improvments i look forward to talking to you soon.

Many regards

Mick Lawrence

• 3 weeks later...

Its a bit late (only just received the photos) but Congratulations to Mick and Dan Lawrence

For Winning the Mayor of Sandwell trophy at Warley, with Twin falls logging & mining..well done :D

post-9211-004484600 1292273815_thumb.jpg

post-9211-088952500 1292273851_thumb.jpg

[/quote

Thank you for your kind words regarding our surprise award at Warley this was a brilliant end to a very busy year for Twin Falls Logging & Mining Railroad the layout seems to be proving popular with many people .

Thank you once again Mick and Dan Lawrence

It is a beautiful layout!

Any chance for some insight on the materials and techniques used for the trees?

Many thanks for your kind comments about Twin Falls Logging Railroad , as for the construction of the trees these are very basic, the tree trunks are rough sawn timber various size,s like 2"x 1" and 1"x1" x 18" long i then use a very sharp small axe to cut the tree trunks to rough shape then i have an old tenon saw with long sharp teeth which i scrape along the tree trunks which gives a very good bark effect i usually make about ten tree trunks like this and then paint the trunks with acrylic paints a base colour brown or grey then dry brush with a mixture or pale greens browns i always take photographs of real trees for colours ect.

The foliage was a lucky find at my local Hobbycraft store its a product used in dry flower arrangements and is a plastic foliage fixed to a wire frame work i took each piece of foliage of thr wire frame and then drilled small holes in the tree trunks and glued in the plastic foliage around the tree trunk when the glue has dried i then trim the foliage to give the tree its shape the final process i spray 3m mountboard glue over the foliage and sprinkle woodland scenics fir tree scatter flock.

This must sound very labour intensive but i find makeing trees very theraputic and i can make ten trees in an evening if you need more info i can take some photographs of the process and post to you.

Once again thanks for comments

Regards Mick Lawrence

Thanks for the quick tutorial, Mick!

Sorry for the delay responding its been a bit hectic around here leading up to christmas i hope you were not put off regarding construction of our trees , hope you have a Merry Chistmas and a prosperous new year.

Regards Mick and Dan Lawrence.

Sorry for the delay responding its been a bit hectic around here leading up to christmas i hope you were not put off regarding construction of our trees , hope you have a Merry Chistmas and a prosperous new year.

Regards Mick and Dan Lawrence.

Not at all. And Merry Christmas to you as well!

• 1 month later...

nice one mick fantastic display

Many thanks Billy, for your kind comments :D iam getting ready for the Erith model railway show near Dartford this saturday&sunday 29th&30th with Twin Falls its a nice show and i always enjoy running the stock and loco,s it also gives me a great buzz talking to the visitors and seeing the look on childrens faces as they take in all the diffrent layouts.

regards Mick Lawrence

Not at all. And Merry Christmas to you as well!

Hi Paul i been looking at your layout it is most impressive you have got the scenary spot on for cumbria not bad for someone living thousands of miles away but perhaps like me with Twin falls logging it spurs our imagination, do you have much trouble finding british rolling stock in the USA? when my son and i started modelling in on30 there was not to much choice in wooden buildings rolling stock was mainly Bachman but this has changed now thanks to the internet and paypal .

regards Mick Lawrence

He is making a habit of this :P ...................Mick Lawrence collecting his Trophies for Best Scenic Layout and Best Layout in Show at Dartford today :D

If you get the chance come and say hallo to Mick (Buzz1954)............Maggie(Bugs Bunny)..........and Alan(wombatty) tomorrow

post-9929-0-49744700-1296325070_thumb.jpg

I remember this from warley last year and i have to admit i thought it was excellent

Do you have any shows booked for this year

Sam

Hi Sam

thankyou for your kind comments about Twin Falls we have a very busy year Twin falls is booked to appear at Dartford this weekend and as follows=

19 march 2011 March&District exhibition

30 April NMRA Manningtree Essex exhibition

21 May Bury St Edmonds exhibition

17 September Mid Essex Shenfield Essex exhibition

1 October Sudbury Railway club exhibition

Hi Sam

thankyou for your kind comments about Twin Falls we have a very busy year Twin falls is booked to appear at Dartford this weekend and as follows=

19 march 2011 March&District exhibition

30 April NMRA Manningtree Essex exhibition

21 May Bury St Edmonds exhibition

17 September Mid Essex Shenfield Essex exhibition

1 October Sudbury Railway club exhibition

29&30 October Colchester exhibition

Shoeburyness exhibition `to be advised

26 November Letchworth Model Railway exhibition

He is making a habit of this :P ...................Mick Lawrence collecting his Trophies for Best Scenic Layout and Best Layout in Show at Dartford today :D

If you get the chance come and say hallo to Mick (Buzz1954)............Maggie(Bugs Bunny)..........and Alan(wombatty) tomorrow

Thanks Maggie and Alan for the comments :P and your friendship and support :P and many thanks to everyone who has voted for Twin Falls at all the shows we have attended :rolleyes:

Was certainly well deserved, standing in front of it listening to the sound loco's brought the layout to life. Mick I was the person who spoke to you about bringing the layout to Tonbridge for our show.

Colin

Buzz

Congratulations to all of you on the awards at Dartford and Warley.

If I remember correctly, Lynda and I saw your layout at Stowmarket last year and we were stunned by it.

Can you tell me what the venue is at Manningtree as we would love to see your layout again?

Regards

David and Lynda

Archived