Ratio LNWR wagon kits

I have 2 sets of kits for the loco coal, a 2 plank open, and 5 plank open and want to build correctly (brake gear etc.) They are all 9' wheelbase. There are no instructions or boxes, and none of the supplier web sites list them so I assume they are out of production now. Can anyone tell me the diagram numbers they are based upon? Thanks.

I have 2 sets of kits for the loco coal, a 2 plank open, and 5 plank open and want to build correctly (brake gear etc.) They are all 9' wheelbase. There are no instructions or boxes, and none of the supplier web sites list them so I assume they are out of production now. Can anyone tell me the diagram numbers they are based upon? Thanks.

I think that I can answer the question for the 2-plank wagon...

I had exactly this dilemma when I was working on one of these kits recently - and I do have unmade kits of these, complete with instructions, and nowhere does it give prototype notes :-(

However a bit of work with reference books and a process of elimination arrived at an LNWR Diagram 62 ballast wagon.

You can find the full story in my blog: http://beerandbuckjumpers.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

HTH

Flymo

I have sent you an email, if you get back to me I will be able to attach the instructions for kit 756 Traffic Coal/ 4 Plank Wagon. I never brought the others so can't help you there.

Thanks for these, they are some of the wagon parts that I have taken on. The diagram numbers appear to be D54 Traffic Coal, and D4 (or D9 if 10T) for the High Sided Open.

Cheers,

Steve

With thanks to the three posters, and the LNWR web site, I have done some more research, and can summarise my findings below:

2 plank open 7 Ton 15'6" body 9' w/b is a D2 early build (later had 16' body length)

2 plank open dropside with end stanchions extending above the top plank 16' body 9' w/b is a D62 from the Ratio LMS Engineering Wagons Kit 575 and/or LMS Permanent Way Kit 475

4 plank high sided open 7 Ton 16' body 9' w/b is a D4 or with slightly different (heavier duty) axleboxes could be the 10 Ton version the D9 from the Ratio LMS Traffic Coal/4 Plank Kit 756 (as per instructions provided by 'industrial' and/or listed as 576 by Il Grifone and Transport Models of Preston (!?)

5 plank Traffic Coal 8 Ton 15'6" body 9' w/b is a D54 from Ratio kits as per the 4 plank above

4 plank Loco Coal (with round topped ends) 10 Ton 16' body 9' w/b is a D64 - not sure of the Ratio kit number, but I suspect they mixed 'n matched the wagons into various sets.

The above diagrams can all be found at the LNWR Society web site as listed by Il Grifone, except D62, as discovered by Flymo748. There is the history, diagrams and photographs provided.

Cheers,

Steve

Archived