Clams, a Rudd and a Grampus...

Arrgghhh!

Finally some good weather (for airbrushing, albeit cold!), and I'm still stuck on the conundrum of masking off the yellow band that all these wagons, especially the Clams, carried towards the end of their revenue earning lives!

What would people suggest is the best way to mask over the ribs on the Clam, and the general raised details of the Rudd and Grampus? I've tried usual masking tape of varying degrees of tack, and yet can never get the right straight line, which gets into the nooks and crannies required to get over the ribs. Also trying to "paint" maskol along a straight line isn't easy.

Would love to hear what people, especially those who have built the Parkside wagons, have done to create the yellow band.

Thanks

Richard

I did the clam on the side of a test etch 3-4 years ago, I didn't have much interest at the time, but every so often I'd get a question about buying sets. I didn't do anything with them until I picked up a batch of Rudds and Clams at the DEMU Showcase in 2009, so I ran a sheet that did both Rudd and Clam, I have a couple of etches left over, although if there was enough interest I could get the sheet re-run.

The cost would be £5 for two of the etches that you see in my first photo, (so enough to paint 1 Clam and one Rudd simultaniously) plus about 50p in postage. Note these were specifically designed for the Parkside, I have no idea if they fit the Hornby.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I've just had a fresh batch of the clam/rudd mask etches in, please pm if you would like a set(or more) each set has two masks for Clam and two for Rudd, so that you can paint one of each wagon at a time, cost is £5.00per set plus postage at cost - I will be doing a proper classifieds add later in the week when I get time.

Thanks,

Jon

edit because I got the price wrong!

Archived