Johnson 1P 58047

Blandford1969

Thank you very much, Duncan, these are really helpful photos to add to the couple of others that I have. Interesting to see fire irons stored on the 'wrong side' in the second photo, the brackets for holding these are, as far as I can work out, only on the left side. The first photo also clearly shows the pipe? wrapping around the centre of the vacuum regulator valve which is visible in some other photos of these auto-fitted tanks. Does anyone have any idea what it is as it doesn't appear in drawings of the mechanism? There's also something that looks like an electrical cable suspended on the handrail and continuing over the tank. Again, any ideas on what it is, or what it is connected to at the front?

Nick

ps. for anyone wondering what prompted this thread, it was some questions I asked on my workbench blog. As Duncan was unable to post the photos in a comment, he started this thread here.

• RMweb Premium

My only suggestion on the pipe is whether it is atomised cylinder oil to lubricate the vacuum controlled gear. There is of course a small hydrostatic lubricator fitted on the firemans side in the cab.

You asked as well for any photos on its auto train. Please see below the first is between Edington Junc and Bridgwater in May 1951 and the second is seen at Glastonbury waiting for departure to Wells.

Which station are you modelling by the way?

post-5625-0-27039800-1295903159_thumb.jpg

I will dig out my uncompleted version of 51 as well, again in etched brass I wanted something more so did some etchings for myself.

Kind regards

Duncan

post-5625-0-79546400-1295903145_thumb.jpg

My only suggestion on the pipe is whether it is atomised cylinder oil to lubricate the vacuum controlled gear. There is of course a small hydrostatic lubricator fitted on the firemans side in the cab.

Could be. The lubricator is visible in the corner of both cab photos in the Essery & Jenkins volume (if I've identified it correctly).

You asked as well for any photos on its auto train. Please see below the first is between Edington Junc and Bridgwater in May 1951 and the second is seen at Glastonbury waiting for departure to Wells.

The coach in the first of these looks very similar to the one in another photo of 58047 at Wells in 1951. The photo appears in Somerset & Dorset Files No 4 and, as I mentioned on the blog, the coach number may be M34456. Now all we need is one of our resident Midland coaching experts to come along...

Which station are you modelling by the way?

Now that's a really difficult question :rolleyes: I'm currently playing with ideas in Templot with frequent reference to the Judge & Potts book, though I think it will be a hybrid of several prototype locations with the aim to capture some of the character of the line rather than a specific location. In the meantime, my Bachmann 7F and Jinty are sitting on my european HO layout awaiting the time when it will be worthwhile converting them to P4.

I will dig out my uncompleted version of 51 as well, again in etched brass I wanted something more so did some etchings for myself

At this rate we'll have the full set of Somerset and Dorset 1Ps on here :D

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Sorry can't provide any further info on the MR Johnson tanks, but soaking up these wonderful photos.

Both Mum's grandfathers (George Young and Lewis Moxey) were Highbridge drivers who retired in the 1950s, and looking to see any shots with them in frame- have only a couple so far, of many I've seen of the branch.

More pics would be very welcome here- keep them coming.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

If you end up with something to do with Wells, then hopefully by the end of the 3rd quater of this year, I should have drawings of the main building/ signal box and goods shed of Wells done.

They are being prepared for the new S&D trust web site, which if you are a member you will find (hopefully soon) a larger number of images of the stations and where slowly coming on are plans as well - initially Wellow / Radstock signal box, Glastonbury station, waiting rooms and goods shed, Blandford forum Goods shed, waiting room/signal box, main building (post 1935), Shillingstone main building/porters room (Signal box and waiting room to follow) Sturminster Newton main building (still to be finished), Stalbridge main building (next to be done)- and more to come as I get the time.... then there's just the model of Mangotsfield to pick up and finish...

These photos come from a selection in my collection taken by John Madley, who went on to be a well known signalling engineer (though sadly he does not appear to have photographed signals on the line) He took around 120 photos mainly around Highbridge and Burnham from about 1949 to 1951. I will look out to see if any of the others show the crews more clearly -

Kind regards

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

As regards motor fitted locos these were also used on the Barnoldswick branch, shedded at Skipton. There are some photos of them in the 2 Midland Record articles about the branch. If you haven't got them PM me and I can see what I can do for you. I know that one of my collaborators built one of the motor fitted examples.

Jamie

• 3 weeks later...

This is just a quick post to round this thread off. Still no cab photos of motor fitted 1Ps, though a couple of photos of the inside of Highbridge works show that the Scotties had a backhead very similar to those on !Ps shown in Essery & Jenkinson. As one of my main concerns was whether the backhead pipework was different on engines with and without clack valves on the boiler sides, I'm now fairly confident that there is little difference that might be seen in an enclosed cab, so I can follow the layout in the photos.

As this thread moved away from its original title, I started a new one here to investigate the push-pull coaches. So far, the bottom line appears to be that the coach mentioned above is a period 2 design, so cannot be 24456.

Nick

Archived