Alternate N Gauge couplings

Guest tony graham

Guest tony graham

Well as I'm on a roll with questions here's another.

I am looking for an alternative to the standard coupling that comes with Farish & Bachmann stock.

Aware I am that MicroTrains do couplings but I havnt got a clue where to start, apart from the fact that I would have to make adjustments and alterations to my stock to make them fit, and where I would be able to get alternatives from.

Many thanks in advance,

Tony

This is a complex subject and the simple answer is that there is no single default choice to replace the blocky Rapido coupling that comes as standard on most N gauge stock. There are several replacement solutions available from simple plug-in systems to ones you make yourself from etched brass. Each have their pros and cons and the best solution for you depends largely on what you want to achieve.

The 3 main problems with the Rapido are

1. It is big, ugly and looks nothing like any real coupler

2. It does not support delayed uncoupling and is difficult to operate remotely.

3. It usually has a too large a gap between vehicles unless using clever mechanisms like the latest Farish Mk1s.

The replacement solutions usually address one or more of these problems but no one has yet succeeded in cracking all 3 with a coupling that will fit standard UK fittings. Some of the alternatives are listed below, there are others and I am sure people will list any I have forgotten.

Short-shank rapidos

Available as spares from Farish, these reduce the coupling distance slightly between vehicles but are standard Rapidos in all other regards.

Microtrains magnetic knuckle couplers

Popular in the US these knuckle couplers are miniaturised versions of the 00/H0 Kaydee couplers. They look better than the Rapidos and resemble the real knuckle couplers fitted to US stock and some british trains like EMUs. They come in a range of lengths so coupling distances can be shortened if required. They also support remote and delayed uncoupling. The one big problem with these is that there is not a version to fit the NEM coupling pockets found on many newer British models. Bachmann/Farish are apparently producing a similar version for the UK market which is rumoured to be out some time this year but nothing has been seen yet. Could be worth waiting for.

Fleischmann Profi couplings

A mechanical design popular on european models. It supports delayed and remote uncoupling. It also comes in a variety of designs to fit both NEM pockets and Rapido boxes meaning british stock is well catered for. The downside is that they are quite eexpensive to fit in large quantites and are actually even less attractive than the Rapidos in appearance.

NBrass couplers

These are small etched brass parts that are fitted to cut-down Rapido arms. They are cheap and shorten coupling distances quite well. They do nothing to improve the look of the coupler or automatic operation.

D&G, B&B, MBM

These are all different designs of couplers that modellers assemble for themselves from etched brass kits. They all support remote and delayed uncoupling (using magnets) and are not too expensive. The downside they have to be assembled and fitted accurately to work properly. They also tend to require the owner to cut away the existing coupling mount in order to fit them. This is a one-way operation which could be a consideration if you change your mind or wish to sell your stock.

Hi Karhedron

Very well put together and extremely informative thank you. Vertually all the info you need on brands one 1 page. Yes, no doubt about it the Rapidos are ugly and very very big. Have you seen the new "basic" nem knuckle couplers that Dapol and Farish are now adding with all new coaches/locos. They put 2 short and 2 long couplers with each loco.

I am looking forward to the seeing what Bachmann offer later on this year, they might actually make some nice changes and improve them even more.

Thanks for posting that was great.

Cheers

Martin

Have you seen the new "basic" nem knuckle couplers that Dapol and Farish are now adding with all new coaches/locos. They put 2 short and 2 long couplers with each loco.

Yes, these couplings do not support remote operation but are quite discrete so are a good option for coupling fixed rakes together.

Archived