Barnstaple Junction-ish 1970's - and on to Bideford!

jamest

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've started work on a new layout based on Barnstaple Junction in the seventies, here is the link to the planning thread:

planning thread

I've recently sold my 6x4 layout (actually called 6x4 starter layout), which was my first and used as a testing ground to move forward. After visiting several exhibitions I decided my next project would be 'end to end' and thin to better fir in with the space I have to work/play in.

The original plan was not necessarily going to be based on Barnstaple but because I couldn't really decide on a fictional plan I liked the secure feeling copying something 'real' gave me. I'm no expert on the real railway but I feel I am learning as I go - at least with a track plan based in the real world I can learn about the actual movements as I go safe in the knowledge the foundation is good. And I only live about 6 miles from the actual place!

Thanks to everyone who helped on the planning thread with advice and sources of information:

post-7097-0-68340400-1303723538_thumb.jpg

The layout was to be 12'x18" including the fiddle yard but ,as you will see from the planning thread, this has expanded somewhat and I have widened the station board to 24" in places along with 4' in length for the fiddle yard. The track will be code 100 and the points medium radius (one long) peco streamline. The goods facilities are more limited than the original yard and the curve on the station has had to be straightened a little. I plan to run around in the station 'off-scene' using a short sector plate which will save me modeling the actual, long run around under the road bridge towards Bideford.

I've constructed the scenic boards and four trestles and this weekend I've actually started track laying in anger. Here are the pictures that finished my planning thread:

post-7097-0-66783000-1303723094_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-17807800-1303723096_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-52550300-1303723097_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-33021700-1303723099_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-10851100-1303723101_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-11630600-1303723103_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

I'm sure you've seen it but if not there's a long thread in the 'prototype questions' section all about North Devon Freight, and loads of really useful info about the line.

It looks a really interesting project, and is already looking good. I look forward to seeing more pics.

Do you have any space at all (even temporarily during running sessions) beyond the sector plate? If so how about considering a cassette or something so you can have short trains running to/from Torrington to add interest

Good luck

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

Looks like an interesting project and will follow with interest. There is plenty of scope for operation with this one!

The station building and LSWR timber goods shed are pretty large structures and assume that you will need to compress this a bit to get in! The goods shed survived for quite a few years as a parcel depot long after the general goods traffic was stopped.

A great looking and quite rare building - was a real shame that it was demolished as I thought that it was of the few surviving timber LSWR goods sheds around.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Tom

The cassette is a decent idea for the thro' traffic - but with the 4' fiddle yard at the other end I am really tight on length space in my garage. I could go out onto the drive but I want to run it in dodgey weather too!

I won't rule it out at this early stage though - I'll give it some thought - I think it will need to be a cassette and it could join onto the end of the sector plate when I wanted it to.

Hi mudmagnet,

I will need to compress everything to fit on the 24" x 72" I have for the station/yard. My building skills are nowhere near yours so I might adapt some ready to plant stuff to make them more unique/appropriate. At the moment I'm stuck between trying to go for a representation of the real thing (at the risk of not doing it justice) and playing it easy and using more ready to plant stuff. Plenty of time to think about that!

I didn't mention earlier that I want to try to use kadee couplings - I bought some NEM friendly sizes (18, 19 & 20) and a under track magnet to experiment with. I now realise the setting tool is vital - and that I need to think and run some trains to suss out where to place the magnets. I know you can get the ones that sit on the track between the rails but I thought it would be a better long term solution to hide them away.

Cheers,

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Done a bit more work over the last week or so and mulled over the various options suggested.

I've decided to stick with a short turn around via a short sector plate at the station end as originally planned. I like the idea of the longer fiddle yard for through traffic but I just don't have the room for this at both ends.

I have moved the sector plate 'out' a bit as shown on the plan below, this gives a longer platform and more room from the end of the yard sidings to the road bridge:

post-7097-0-59697900-1304538998_thumb.jpg

I will take some actual photo's and post them soon but I can't get out there tonight as My wife is out and the kids are asleep! Hence the computer work!

My mind has also wondered to where to place my kadee delayed action magnets. I want to hide them in the board as opposed to having the magnets that rest on the sleepers as I have the time and opportunity now. I have placed a few based on my basic knowledge of running around in the platform and shunting the yard/bay but I would like to ask everyone's opinion on the validity of my choices and any other locations that are required

The magnets are the blue squares:

post-7097-0-54109100-1304539334_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance,

James

• RMweb Gold

I must admit I've not actually got round to trying Kadees yet, but I think you've got the basics there, especially the 1 magnet at the yard throat allowing shunting to all 3 sidings - and it's on a straight section too which should improve operation.smile.gif

I'd also add magnets on the platform road to the right of the point leading onto the "centre road" and another magnet in that centre road - you could then remove a van from the rear of a passenger train & stable it in the centre road, to be retrieved & added to another train later in the day. You may need to check / move the positions of the 2 magnets on the platform road though, otherwise you may end up uncoupling the loco & also having something like the 2nd & 3rd coaches detach from each otherblink.gif - you need the spacing to NOT be the same as the length of 2 coaches, if you see what I mean....

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice on the magnets Rich.

As promised here are some pictures of the 'extended' sector plate.

post-7097-0-07091700-1304625490_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-73328700-1304625491_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-02504500-1304625495_thumb.jpg

I've also been trying to suss out the yard/station/access - Its difficult even with the extra width - any resemblance to the original will be entirely coincidental!

I'm using the Bachmann station building as a guide only.

post-7097-0-61578900-1304625488_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-79625200-1304625496_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-62946200-1304625498_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-70664100-1304625500_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-55998900-1304625502_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Even better - 4 coach trains! Does that fit in the fiddle yard - I thought it was 4ft long?

A man can dream can't he?:rolleyes:

Yes three coaches is more like it - but fiddle yards can be extended/swapped over so its 'future-proofed':lol:

To be honest the extra room is more for the access/car park around the station area.

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Well it does look better - less cramped. If you run shorter trains that also gives more of the impression of a station "down on it's heels" with less traffic than it used to have....

Just one other thought - as you haven't secured the track yet ;) - could you get the first point in the yard on the other side of the baseboard joint? It might give you more space in the yard & increase the length of the siding behind the platform. If the 2 lower sidings were the same length as they are but just moved to the left, that might also give you more space for the station building / car park area. The drawback would be having 2 tracks crossing the joint close together & angled, also you would need uncouplers on all the sidings.....

Good to see some progress, its always a good point for me when I can pose some trains on the tracks. Already to me the plan suggests Barnstaple, so I think by the time you've added in some LSWR fittings it will give a really good suggestion of North Devon.

I think three coach trains will be fine, I've seen pictures of plenty on the line (and even some two coach loco hauled ones). I read somewhere that as we compress our trackplans we should also compress train lengths, so as to keep everything in proportion, ie filling up the entire length of a loop or platform with a full length train just doesn't quite look right. For my layout (in N gauge) I'm aiming for 70% train lengths so a 5 coach train becomes 3-4 and this seems to look ok

Keep up the good work and post us some more pics!

Tom

• RMweb Gold

Good to see some progress there James.

I'd agree with Tom, a two coach train would like fine, behind a class 25 or 33. You could even run a failed DMU, hauled by a class31!

The centre line between the two platform roads does give the option of dropping a parcels van - an interesting shunting move.

Keep up the good work.

Are you planning to exhibit in the future?

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Thanks for the opinions.

Ramblin Rich - you are right moving the point back onto the scenic board would give me more siding room. And you are also right about the reason I am reluctant to do it - it would complcate my track alignment over the join and make magnet positioning harder!

I hope to post some more pictures tonight of my kadee work with my class25 and rolling stock.

Tom and mudmagnet - valid points on the train lengths - it doesn't look right to fill up the siding. I do actually have a class31 and 108 so I could model the failed DMU - god bless DCC!

I'd love to think I could exhibit it in the future - lets see how it progresses! Thats the good thing about these forums, you are sort of exhibiting it from the word go.

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

Here is the photo update on the kadee progress:

I've cut out the hole for the one under track magnet I bought:

post-7097-0-81715000-1304959898_thumb.jpg

To help with my playing session I completed the second track running into the run round sector plate:

post-7097-0-20075000-1304959896_thumb.jpg

My class 25 has NEM No.18's fitted to it. The coaches were difficult - you have to use the longest No.20 size but when inserted into the NEM socket they are much higher than the loco's kadee. I do need to buy the setting tool but I roughly checked the heights and the class25 was near to perfect on the 10mm recommended height to the centre of the coupling. With that info I decided to 'alter' the fitting of the coach coupling to bring it down to the class25:

I had to glue a 1mm thick piece of plasticard to the bottom of the NEM socket and then glue the kadee to the bottom of that piece of plasticard:

post-7097-0-97936100-1304960233_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-78132700-1304960232_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-47838500-1304960231_thumb.jpg

The end result was a pretty good match:

post-7097-0-87582400-1304960278_thumb.jpg

My Railfreight wagons where much more like it and accepted No.18's directly with no adjustment:

post-7097-0-55332800-1304960358_thumb.jpg

Then it was time for a play. I put kadee's on the extremes of three coaches and five wagons and had a great time running around. One advantage I have is that my track is mostly straight and the points are more forgiving now I'm using medium and long radius. I had no problems with the kadees uncoupling any where.

A great half an hour was spent with hands free operation:

post-7097-0-13542200-1304960535_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-14418500-1304960537_thumb.jpg

I now need to purchase 4-5 more magnets and a Setting tool at around a fiver a shot - thats before I but any more couplers! But first impressions are: its worth it!!

Cheers,

James

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Not posted for a while but I've made some progress over the last few weeks.

I have positioned my magnets in place under the track and cut holes for the point motors. I was thinking of using wire in the tube but I have enough motors left over from my last project so I decided to go with them.

In this picture the baseboard join is on the left - I plan to slide joiners across the gaps to join/dismantle the boards. The magnet is in place on the yard line and you can also see the 'joiners' I have soldered between the stock rails (is that right?) to make the insulfrog points 'live':

post-7097-0-20424500-1307818483_thumb.jpg

I've also pinned down the track and filled in the sleepers at the track joins - it certainly makes the track look much better - I like the look of the slight curve in the station (not quite as much as the real thing) The station buildings have changed but are still only there for effect:

post-7097-0-28665700-1307818970_thumb.jpg

I'd also like some advice on the yard area - Its the one area I'm still not sure about. I don't know whether to go with two lines (apart from the bay) or one. I'm worried that two lines will fill the area with track too much and I'll struggle to get in access roads, car park, station access, etc. Here are some pictures with the options illustrated:

one road:

post-7097-0-51694900-1307818863_thumb.jpg

two roads and an extra point:

post-7097-0-66918600-1307819037_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-07510300-1307819085_thumb.jpg

What do you all think?

Cheers,

James

I would go for the extra point and siding myself. I don't think it looks to cramped but hints at the large yard of the prototype much better. I think one siding in the shed and one other would look a little too small compared to the platforms and trains etc.

Can you arrange the backscene/scenics to hint at more yard space beyond the baseboards?

I would go for the extra point and siding myself. I don't think it looks to cramped but hints at the large yard of the prototype much better. I think one siding in the shed and one other would look a little too small compared to the platforms and trains etc.

Can you arrange the backscene/scenics to hint at more yard space beyond the baseboards?

I agree with Tom on this, the extra siding will hint at the former importance of the place.

On the prototype the 2nd siding was roughly parallel with the goods shed road and served a cattle dock.

The 3rd siding passed behind the cattle dock and started to swing away towards the river,

could you perhaps angle the 3rd road as if it passes through the backscene?

Good work so far.

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys - I preferred the option with more track but I was worried about filling the entire area with track!

I think I will run the second line closer to the bay as suggested - I need to sort out the station positioning and the access.

Perhaps something clever with the third siding and the backscene/buildings is in order. Cue head scratching ;)

cheers,

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I have added two feet to the fiddle yard end. It folds up when not in use to keep the length of the board to six feet for easier handling. If you look at the following pictures I've allocated the last two feet of main board 2 to the fiddle yard to go with the additional two feet to give me four in total. The scenic break is donated by the scalescenes tunnel for now. The cassettes will rest across the join.

This will mean the headshunt for the yard will go off scene but there are operational advantages to that. I'm not 100% on the scenic break yet - at the moment I'm leaning towards the scalescenes concrete bridge carrying a road. Bit early for the north devon link road but something along those lines!

I've knocked up a basic cassette. At the moment it clips to the running track via track joiners so I can play and transmit the power with any wiring on the cassette itself.

And yes - I will add a means of stopping my pride and joy going off the end!

I've also completed the track wiring under board two. Which meant I was able to power up for a full running session complete with cassette fiddle yard and all the kadee magnets in place - great fun!

post-7097-0-28373300-1309208215_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-56531700-1309208216_thumb.jpg

post-7097-0-60607600-1309208213_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Major update - but no photos!

You may have noticed the evidence of my first layout attempt around the garage wall. With this layout set up in the middle it was a bit of a squeeze and I was starting to get frustrated at the lack of space and working room in the garage. So I had a major rethink and had an idea that really sparked my interest and enthusiasm. I have decide to abandon the portable idea and join Barnstaple junction to the wall creating a U shape layout with another station before the fiddle yard.

I have schemed it out below and have done the major construction work so there will be photos soon! I think the station before the fiddle yard will be based on Lapford further down the line towards Exeter.

I'm really pleased with it - the radii are a little tight in the corners to allow for a decent length Lapford but I plan to disguise them with bridges/scenery..

Key:

Green - previous end to end boards (2nd one cut back to 3 feet) - removable for car in winter).

Yellow - current fixed boards

Blue - fold down fiddle yard

post-7097-0-94615400-1311627278_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Gold

Interesting James,

I like the idea of Lapford - always fancied that station myself and did actually make a start on something like that myself a couple of years back, but didn't come to much.

Also looks like you will need a bridge - much the same as Orchard Road!

Are you going to build part of the Ambrosia factory or just the loading platform? I assume that you will be making this as the fertiliser depot - a couple of UKF fans will look good!

See you at the weekend!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

More & more interesting - I have ideas based on Lapford too, the freight possibilities there are quite varied (as discussed on the North Devon freight thread) . As well as the UKF fertilizer vans, there was timber & grain - although these were probably more into the 1980s. I believe the Ambrosia factory closed in the late 60s which allowed UKF to use the building for fertilizer distribution.

I like your radical redesign though - hope the car won't need to be in the garage too much laugh.gif

Is there enough room for you to have a bit more fiddle yard "below" Barnstaple to allow through running towards Torrington etc - then you could include the milk & clay trains (a 25 with a few wagons may just fit....wink.gif)

Archived