Dunmar 'Live + Kicking'

Dunmar

Hi All,

Just to let you know I have made the 'change-over' to the new format. Since I last posted I have had a couple of new additions to the Dunmar fleet. A further Heljan Cl 26 and the Bachmann Cl 150/2 in Regional livery. Both will of course be given the 'weathered look' in due course. In case you'd forgotten have a look at the before and after pics! The Cl26 has already had it's number changed!

Cheers! :D

post-3775-1258714615341_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12587146287569_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12587146441894_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12587146579372_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I never copped this one on last RMweb, beautiful scenics and the 'MC RAT' looks stunning, I do like the Heljan 26's

Would love to see more pics of the layout and stock, keep up the good work cool.gif

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi All :rolleyes:

Have started to do some work on Bachmann 150/2, the pic shows branding changed to ScotRail and now shows it on-route to Queen Street.

I have started to add some light 'weathering' and have also added 'corridor connections' although you can't see them in pic - will take some more shots later.

Cheers, Bill.

post-3775-12615995957462_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12615996145317_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12615996335095_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Fab layout! Terrific pics too. I can't believe I missed this one on RMWeb3. BR blue, Scottish, LL liverys...all the good ingredients!

Do you have the requisite track plan or perhaps a link to your previous thread if it is on that? More pics as well if you don't mind ;)

Hi ;)

The backscenes for 'Dunmar' are from the 'Townscene' range but to make them more effective I have glued them to a piece of mounting card and cut round them to give a low relief effect. The track is Peco code 100 but rather cleverly 'weathered' to appear more realistic!

With regards to the track plan - you can find it on the old forum under 'The Train Arriving'. I'm sorry I haven't a clue how to set up a link - can someone tell me how?

You can also catch the train to 'Dunmar' at ModelRail, S.E.C.C. Glasgow. 26th-28th Feb.2010.

Cheers ;)

Hi All :rolleyes:

Have started to do some work on Bachmann 150/2, the pic shows branding changed to ScotRail and now shows it on-route to Queen Street.

I have started to add some light 'weathering' and have also added 'corridor connections' although you can't see them in pic - will take some more shots later.

Cheers, Bill.

I love the work you did on the 150. How did you get to change the destination blinds? Where did you get the ScotRail branding?

Nice layout by the way. The colours seem to blend in mice together.

Werner

• RMweb Gold

With regards to the track plan - you can find it on the old forum under 'The Train Arriving'. I'm sorry I haven't a clue how to set up a link - can someone tell me how?

Hi, Thanks for replying....I tracked it down this morning as was impatient to see some more photos....I will enjoy back reading the thread over the festive period ;)

I am no computer expert but there is a small icon to the right of the smiley icon in the text dialogue box and you cut and paste your link from your old thread and name it as required...see below....others feel free to jump in if there is a better method.

HTH

Dunmar RMWeb3

I love the work you did on the 150. How did you get to change the destination blinds? Where did you get the ScotRail branding?

Nice layout by the way. The colours seem to blend in mice together.

Werner

Hi Werner,

The Bachmann 150/2 is dismantled by removing the 3 screws from the underframe base.Once inside the body you need to remove the cab interior- take care when doing so - it has 2 lugs to hold it in place. By gently pushing the body sides outwards it will come away quite easily. A seperate glazing piece holds the destination in place - I used a pointed scalpel blade to remove the original glue and then prised it apart. I made up a replacement destination using Photoshop and printed this onto glossy photo paper and glued it with UHU. The ScotRail branding was created using the same programme but this time it was printed onto clear decal sheet - varnished, and then placed onto the model in the normal way. ( I beleive Fox Transfer might save you the bother).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi :rolleyes:

Have finally completed the 'weathering' of CL 26039 and you can compare this with my previous posting. Model Rail Glasgow is ever looming and I am completing the final touches prior to Dunmar making it's debut! :D

As already documented my weathering techniques are solely achieved by airbrushing - I believe it gives a more realistic and subtle finish.

Cheers, Bill.

post-3775-12641715453751_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12641715584734_thumb.jpg

post-3775-1264171569639_thumb.jpg

Hi Bill,

Just come across your layout thread for the first time. Yes, I know I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Very nice indeed. 1980s ScotRail. 20s, 26s and 27s, large logo 47s and 37s. Hmmmm. Can't beat it.

I am especially interested in your corridor connections. They look very good on your Mk 1s and make a world of difference. Who makes them? Or did you make them yourself? Improving my Mk 1s and Mk 2s is one of the jobs on my list in the near future.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments.

With regards to the 'gangway's' on the coaches they are home-made and were a direct result of a very good article by Nigel Burkin which appeared in the December 2008 British Railway Modelling magazine.

He demonstrates with the use of the A1 Models kits and mine are really an extension of that kit. I used thin black card normally referred to as cartridge paper as anything thicker restricts the movement required between the coaches.

There was also an article in Model Rail mag January 2010 which I have to say although described well enough was rather crude.

Also in this mag was an article of a 'cracking' layout I think it was called Waverley something?????????????????.

If you can't get hold of Nigel's article let me know and I will let you have a photo copy.

Regards Bill.

There was also an article in Model Rail mag January 2010 which I have to say although described well enough was rather crude.

The guy that wrote the article is also responsible for Dava (if you have seen it).

Hi Bill, really great layout there..

I'm not a 4mm modeler, but I must say how much I like this... What strikes me most is the accurate and effective weathering of the Pway.. Top work :icon_thumbsup2:

Very nice..!

JB.

Hi JB :)

Of all the questions I get asked at shows it mostly has to do with the track. It is Peco Code 100 but a lot attention to the prototype and photographs has resulted in 'weathering' the track to suit the 'scottish' location. The weathering of the stock as been done in a similar manner to reflect this.

And for all those out there enquiring about the 'gangway' connections I am in the process of preparing a step by step demo using pics to show how they go together. Will also include pics of the stock which has been fitted.

Cheers, Bill.

The guy that wrote the article is also responsible for Dava (if you have seen it).

Hi, :huh:

And your point is ???????????????????????????? I don't know the chap personally - all I meant was the article with the example of the connections was a bit naff! not in keeping with the usual standard of demo!

Bill

I don't quite know what my point was. Dava was built mostly from scratch but was of poor quality. So poor that modern locos often threw hissy-fits on the trackwork. Most of the buildings are made from cereal packets that clearly show that fact when in place. I'm not sure if he built them or if it was those involved in the intial construction.

I don't quite know what my point was. Dava was built mostly from scratch but was of poor quality. So poor that modern locos often threw hissy-fits on the trackwork. Most of the buildings are made from cereal packets that clearly show that fact when in place. I'm not sure if he built them or if it was those involved in the intial construction.

Hi Paul,

My apologies, I didn't mean to sound abrupt! My impression of your posting was that I was sounding over critical about the article and that this 'Dava' was some fantastic layout.

Got it completely wrong :icon_frustrated:

Cheers, Bill.

Archived