Figures

In Bridge Street I need some figures in the front of the cottages.

What figures do you use for the Scalescene models.

I know there are some British suppliers like Langley and Dart Castings.

There is also a large range of figures by Preiser and Noch.

Any advice is welcome.

I think it depends on your pocket and patience!

The inexpensive Dapol figures are made of a nice easy, soapy plastic, ideal for adapting exactly to your own needs, thi may help.....if that's the way you'd like to go.

http://www.rmweb.co....__1#entry235970

Doug

Thanks for the reply.

I bought some Langley figures, to try out, but some of them look oversized in the open door.

I have patience and the only thing I have to think of is that I only can use waterbased paints and glues.

You figures look beautifull.

Job

• RMweb Gold
I have patience and the only thing I have to think of is that I only can use waterbased paints and glues

Hi Job

A wash over with diluted PVA allows you to then paint a model with watercolour paint even though it is made in materials that otherwise wouldn't take watercolour paints. I dabbled with this technique for a few months about 20 years ago now after I found it out by accident. After ballasting with the usual 50/50 PVA to water mix the ballast went green, I tried watercolours to get track colour back and it took to the metal rails, the dried PVA giving it the necessary key/barrier coat.

The 3 or 4 models I tried the technique on for weathering at the time still exist and seem to have survived OK although I cringe now looking back at what , fortunately only only applied to one Dapol kit, that I then thought to be reasonable weathering to end of BR steam condition.

So priming with dilute PVA should give you the opportunity to then use acrylics on the figures.

• Like 1

The Dapol figures don't need PVA priming as they are made of Hard Plastic (polystyrene). You can give them an undercoat of thinned black/white acrylic, this will maintain the detail, unlike painting with PVA. I use Citadel colour paints with their black spary as a n undercoat.

Matt

Guest jim s-w

Hi job

I would say just buy the poses you want, don't worry about who makes it as human beings are far from consistent anyway

Hth

Jim

Preiser figures do not need priming, however as with all plastics, a wash with a mild detergent mix will remove any rsidue of release agent.

Incidently not all Preiser figures are equal- more recent iterations are distinctly larger and are often better suited to RTP buildings which are smaller than actual 1:76.

Tim

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/05/2011 at 02:08, john new said:

Hi Job

A wash over with diluted PVA allows you to then paint a model with watercolour paint even though it is made in materials that otherwise wouldn't take watercolour paints. I dabbled with this technique for a few months about 20 years ago now after I found it out by accident. After ballasting with the usual 50/50 PVA to water mix the ballast went green, I tried watercolours to get track colour back and it took to the metal rails, the dried PVA giving it the necessary key/barrier coat.

The 3 or 4 models I tried the technique on for weathering at the time still exist and seem to have survived OK although I cringe now looking back at what , fortunately only only applied to one Dapol kit, that I then thought to be reasonable weathering to end of BR steam condition.

So priming with dilute PVA should give you the opportunity to then use acrylics on the figures.

For the first time since about the time of my 2011 post I tried this technique again today and the watercolour didn’t take as I expected on the first wagon and failed totally when I tried it on a second. I may have diluted it too much, time for a wash it off and retry with a stronger mix.

Edited by john new

• 2 weeks later...

A little more expensive but somewhat better scale wise (as they are scanned and then 3d printed real people) are the figures from Hardys Hobbies and Modelu, which are generally available in 1/72, 1/76 or 1/87 scale!