Bishopsgate Goods Yard

SXHALL

Well here goes my submission, which is my first of two options I was considering!

My chosen subject to base a working diorama on will be Bishopsgate Goods Yard (now gone).

The plan is to have the lower level shown with the brick arches going back from the front and an area of the yard will be depicted above as well. The star will be a working hydraulic hoist to move the wagons between the two levels and an operating wagon turntable to move a wagon back in to a bay. Have visions of three to four tracks on the upper level with the hoist showing above the waiting box vans with an occasional shunt manoeuvre of wagons on/off the hoist.

Will be using the photos on subbrit.org as my main point of reference. The first picture on page two and the first picture on page three show the areas I am hoping to model.

So headline details of what it will comprise of then

• Model will in EM gauge
  • I'll be making the track myself - another first other than a few test pieces I completed several months ago.
  • Will have to make a working hoist - wish I taken camera to Ally Pally now!
  • Will be DCC, I think, based on idea I have (secret at the minute )
  • I want to have a working wagon turntable
  • And several things I have not yet figured out

I was really wanting to use the height as much as possible to make the most of what is available as well as giving some operational interest.

Oh cripes I've said it now so will have to make a start!!!! Will add some sketches when I get five minutes but wanted to get this out of my head and in writing as a commitment.

Steven

For those who have read this far I will divulge my option two!!! I was to be in T to make OO in G Scale! Confused let me explain.

A 'Barbie' Ken doll is about 11 inches high, a T scale train would be near to G compared to the doll, may not havee been G but you get the idea. I was contemplating building a roundy-roundy in T and plonking a 'Ken' in the middle and building a loft around the entire model. Several things I thought to not do this

• Initial financial outlay for T trains etc that I would not use again.
  • Not a scale I could practice in for future projects
  • It would just be roundy-roundy to keep money down
  • Although prtotypical as it in numerous lofts it was not true to a real railway for me
  • And I would have to buy a 'doll' albeit a male doll which I could not do!

So that was option two despatched from my mind, I think!

Go Bishopsgate!

All I will say is take care when planning and construction the hoist. We did one on Sidney Street, and it was a bit of a sod to operate. Especailly if you were Colin or BD (sorry lads)!

Take care to have a really good look at the photos of the remains, as the protoype hoist at Bishopsgate throws up quite a few technical and constructional problems that we still cannot quite work out, not least of which being was the framework which included the roof built on top of or running down into the viaduct, and what on earth are those little black protrusions that appear to be bolted the the top of the roof crossbeams in the 1920s photo?

I believe the GERS has a set of drawings for the hoist at Spitalfields, but I don't know how complete they are.

Go with option 2, you know you want to ;) We won't mock you for buying a doll honest!..........

Bet the wife would mock me rolleyes.gif

Go Bishopsgate!

All I will say is take care when planning and construction the hoist. We did one on Sidney Street, and it was a bit of a sod to operate. Especailly if you were Colin or BD (sorry lads)!

Take care to have a really good look at the photos of the remains, as the protoype hoist at Bishopsgate throws up quite a few technical and constructional problems that we still cannot quite work out, not least of which being was the framework which included the roof built on top of or running down into the viaduct, and what on earth are those little black protrusions that appear to be bolted the the top of the roof crossbeams in the 1920s photo?

I believe the GERS has a set of drawings for the hoist at Spitalfields, but I don't know how complete they are.

The hoist is puzzling me I have to admit, I am trying to figure the best way to move it on the vertical and keep all 4 corners level. Still no need to worry about that there is plenty of time!!!! Will definitely research as many pics as i can would be good to have a look at the plans even if they are not incomplete.

Hoping to knock up the start of the baseboard today but the weather is not looking good in Ashford (I'd be relegated to the garden for sure) so may have to go on web based spending spree instead.

Well I have had a crack at Google Sketch and have got the below. Have also done a scale plan on A3 paper and it all fits. This is as near as I can get to the lift I want to model in the centre of the site. An extra 6 inches would have meant I could add in a crossover below and above ground but still this give interest to operate. Once I have completed the 2011 challenge I will make some changes to allow more operational possibilities on the upper level mainly a sector plate to the right of the hoist and a sector plate to the lower level to the left of the hoist.

As you might be able to tell I am hoping to have all four sides viewable although I might put a mirror along the back of the loading bays to add to the depth leaving just three sides visible.

BishopsgateSide1.jpg

The front view, lower and upper level showing hoist and two turntables with loading docks to the rear.

BishopsgateSide2.jpg

The rear of the loading docks and the rear loading of the warehouse on the upper level, also shows the road that goes underneath (Wheler Street).

BishopsgateEnd2.jpg

End view of the lower level

BishopsgateEnd1.jpg

End view of Wheler Street end.

This is not to scale so there is not much track outside the hoist on the upper level, but all fits on the scale drawing I have done, just can't scan it as it too big for the scanner. Will also have a roof on the upper level as it would be under the warehouse that was above but have not sketched this to keep it clearer.

So for today I have some wood and MDF so will make a start on the main part of the baseboard. Will need to go to a DIY shop for some pipes to model the arches with and then decide what to clad it in paper print or embossed plastic. Also been browsing for some stock as I have none that will be suitable at the minute. Will be on the lookout at the next shows I go to and on Ebay for some bargains.

Still need to figure out the hoist mechanics and how to make two working wagon turntables, good time for learning!

Steven

From what you put on mine, are you thinking of doing the mirrors underneath to make that all look larger?

Yep, will be using mirrors on the back on the lower level and possibly the upper level to give the illusion of depth. Will be removable as well as i want to be able to view in from the rear to the front as well. May put them on one side too but will see how I feel closer the end of the project.

Steven

Well I have made a start on the main board/frame for the structure and have bought a 2m length of waste pipe to be used for all the vaulted ceilings.

Spent quiet an unhealthy amount of time counting bricks and familiarising myself with the subject on the Subrit site over the weekend too. Getting to grips with the way the ceilings are interconnected as what looks to be a single arch is in fact two with a disecting arch going across it. Also both the arches I had running along the front edge of the lower level (Where the hoist will be) run front to back not left to right. That pipe will be useful!

post-9441-0-94671700-1306846399_thumb.jpg

The top piece will be the floor of the warehouse above and won't be held up by a loo roll centre either once complete. Thankfully the warehouse is outside of the 11 inches allowed so will not have to model much other than to disguise the edges of the board. Will no doubt find this a useful area for a cup of coffee!

post-9441-0-95419300-1306846631_thumb.jpg

Left side of the board showing the two bays being modelled and a circle where one of the two turntables will go. Hoist will be at the end of the track on the left. Piece E has not been fixed in yet so is a bits Brahms!

Steven

Archived