Newton Chambers Car Carriers

• RMweb Premium

bernard beat me to it, p.197 of parkin has an official looking 3/4 view, credited to the NRM, york

about the only one i found online so far is at:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10438978&itemw=4&itemf=0005&itemstep=1&itemx=1

the lettering on the side reads 'EASTERN REGION CAR TRANSPORTER'

EDIT: better version on NRM's flickr site

"Mind the paintwork!"

From memory southern pride had pictures of a completed model in Maroon on their webpage which maybe of use. While on the subject of these, when they went blue can anybody say for certain what colour the chassis/well was? Most pictures show they are heavily weathered but wanted to establish for sure as I have seen model painted black and blue (which is what I went for).

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

i don't think anyone's come up with a definite answer to well/underframe colour.

a topic on making the soputhern pride from OldRMweb

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1509&p=20762&hilit=+newton+chambers#p20762 (contains a link to another thread concerning sleeper formations)

lots of pics at

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/proto_carcarriers.html

could be either blue or black, difficult to tell under the gunk, but i don't think blue would seem too out of place

• RMweb Gold

Around the time these were built I saw a van which I think was a Newton and Chambers on the Rugby-Peterborough line. It had large lettering on the side reading

Anglo - Scottish Car Carrier

London - Newcastle - Edinburgh

I have a scratchy old negative but it is just on the edge of shot and not really clear enough to confirm the type, but was unusual enough to make me look twice.

• RMweb Premium

parkin p.197 has a pic of E71072E, an 'LNER coach conversion' in maroon with that lettering - bodyside looks like a GUV with 3 double doors. also mentioned in the text on p.198 are E96200-3E, ex-LNER compos 88007/44/30/111 resp. with new bodies, two double doors each side, end doors. classed as CCT in maroon, with the 'anglo-scottish' lettering. these were 51' underframes with gresley bogies (for some reason ISTR Bachmann produced something similar in the 90s?)

p.s. post the pic anyway, i'm sure someone will be able to tell what it is!

Never saw one clean enough to tell what colour the well was in blue livery. Have gone back thru my photo's ( the ones on "emgauge70") and some had blue solebars, what short length there was above the bogies, but the well never got cleaned so its anyones guess.

Paul J.

parkin p.197 has a pic of E71072E, an 'LNER coach conversion' in maroon with that lettering - bodyside looks like a GUV with 3 double doors. also mentioned in the text on p.198 are E96200-3E, ex-LNER compos 88007/44/30/111 resp. with new bodies, two double doors each side, end doors. classed as CCT in maroon, with the 'anglo-scottish' lettering. these were 51' underframes with gresley bogies (for some reason ISTR Bachmann produced something similar in the 90s?)

p.s. post the pic anyway, i'm sure someone will be able to tell what it is!

This had been one of those, in its youth! http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brnpccs/hf2aeda7#hf2aeda7

Paul Bartlett

• RMweb Premium

thanks for the link paul.

incidentally, i missed out the lot info from parkin. initially to freight lot 3327 as BOCARS, they were 'delivered as coaching stock on hastily issued lot 30674'. it's stated they were cheaper than new GUVs (£2300 v. £4991), but there were only 4 of them and they only lasted 6 years in service

Archived