Little Jemmy (point motor)

Ray,

This not one I have heard of.

What is the cost of each unit, and what extras do you have to buy?

I am also intrigued that there stops to limit the travel of the drive. I hope they are connected to switch, otherwise how do you stop the motor burning out, unless using a coreless motor.

Gordon A

Bristol

Ray,

This not one I have heard of.

What is the cost of each unit, and what extras do you have to buy?

I am also intrigued that there stops to limit the travel of the drive. I hope they are connected to switch, otherwise how do you stop the motor burning out, unless using a coreless motor.

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gorden

All I know about them is what is in the attachments I have posted.

I have put a attachment on a price list.

I would think there is a PCB board to change current from AC to DC other than that it works on a on-off-on switch.

post-3746-0-55851000-1308392074_thumb.jpg

Ouch @ £16.70 ea they may well have priced themselves out of the market completely that is close to what I paid for 2 Tortoises at last purchase.

An interesting mechanism but I cannot see the advantages over any other existing point motor.

Ouch @ £16.70 ea they may well have priced themselves out of the market completely that is close to what I paid for 2 Tortoises at last purchase.

An interesting mechanism but I cannot see the advantages over any other existing point motor.

Hi Kenton

I find the tortoise motors hang low under the bass boards. If you are into kit building it works out cheeper. What I would like to now is there performance.

RAY70B

I find the tortoise motors hang low under the bass boards. If you are into kit building it works out cheeper. What I would like to now is there performance.

I was trying to compare like with like - as in ready to use.

I'll admit there is one advantage ( the space under the baseboard ) though the Cobalts and TT300 fair pretty well in that regard - though I have never found space under a baseboard too small for Tortoise (especially as they operate just as well if mounted on their side.

The Tortoise - perhaps unfortunately - has been around many years, with many devoted users, along with a cast iron guarantee that probably never gets used as their performance has an unshakable reputation. It is a difficult one for any competitor to overcome especially when price is not used as the main advantage.

Of course if you are prepared to DIY then they are up against the DIY servo which is always going to win on price.

From what I recall of a demonstration of these the motor mechanism simply ratchets at each end stop until you remove the power. The built-in microswitches cannot be used for auto switch off in the Lemaco/Fulgurex manner because they only activate in one direction of travel.

Archived