Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Keep your eyes peeled.....

Guest baldrick25

Guest baldrick25

BBC LINK

Quote from the article.

"Police are investigating the theft of "irreplaceable" model railway locomotives valued at £30,000 in a raid on a transport museum.

The manager of Conwy Valley Railway Museum believes the models could have been stolen to order after the centre was featured on television.

Thieves broke in by smashing a rear outer door at the museum close to Betws-y-Coed station.

CCTV cameras were sprayed with paint by the thieves"..

... Anyone with information is urged to contact PC 659 Andy Davies at Llanrwst Police Station on 101 if in Wales, 0845 6071001 (Welsh line), 0845 6071002 (English). Alternatively, text 66767 or call Crimestoppers Wales on 0800 555111.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Eyes and ears open , lads and lasses, hope the culprits get suitably dealt with, soon.!

Despicable

model railway locomotives valued at £30,000

though I do wonder where this type of "valuation" comes from.

Probably now near "worthless" to the thieves they are probably as likely to end up in land fill as they are likely to be touted in local pubs or on ebay.

It is a bit like the word "priceless". To some of us there may well be personalised items that we might rate as priceless or irreplaceable but to the thieves only generate enough worth to pay for their next fix.

I hazard a guess that for a commercial enterprise this is covered by insurance, possibly a justification for the "valuation". But still doesn't lessen or excuse the crime.

• RMweb Gold

A list is up on their website.

I'm sure there is an element of insurance valuation and 'replacement value' in there but with lhe German G scale and Bassett Lowke stuff it will quickly mount up. As you say though, whatever the value, still sad to see. I spent an interesting hour or so there a couple of years ago.

Guest baldrick25

From the Conwy Valley Railway Museum site :-

Conwy Valley Railway Museum

A list of the items taken :-

G SCALE

LGB Brown Crocodile

25812 Harz DR Steam Locomotive

24812 Harz DR Steam Locomotive

Piko 37419 E Loc Taurus WLB Wiener Lokalbahn AG

37418 E Loc Taurus Porsche

GAUGE 1

Aristocraft Class 66 Locomotive 23213 No 66068

ALL ABOVE TAKEN WITHOUT BOXES

O GAUGE

Bassett Lowke BL99032/C J39

BL99031 J39

BL99042 Mogul Grey

BL99054 Mogul Black

BL99018 A3 Pacific Humorist

BL 99040 LNER Flying Fox

Hornby 00

Locomotives, Train Packs, Pullman Coaches, Wagons

Bachmann 00

Locomotives

• RMweb Premium

Very sorry to hear about this.

Many years ago, when the 7 1/4 gauge Walsall Steam Railway was running in the Arboretum, my friends from the Mickleover Group Paul Martin and Phil Traxson (both Festiniog volunteers) also went there to help the owner Colin Cartwright by driving his steam locos that included a 9F and a Britannia. Even I got to have a go driving the Hymek :O

When Colin retired from his business he bought the Conway Valley Museum and we all went over there to help get the place ready to re-open. We had possession of the BR track and some very long ladders and painted the footbridge over to the station - it seemed very strange to be high up on a ladder set up in the middle of the main running line - we had a BR guy with us as it was actually their bridge but they hadn't maintained it (since it was built?) Spent the night sleeping in the Pullman car.

This must have been about 25 years ago but I see from the web site for the Museum that Colin is still the owner - and doesn't actually look any older - unlike me Paul and Phil :lol:

Mike

Archived