Hornby LMS [Ex Caledonian] Coaches - Advice?

The bodies are based on Caledonian 'Grampion' stock. I seem to recall Triang/Hornby mounted them on BR Mk.I bogies. If to scale length, they would 10¼ inches long in 4mm.

Real 'Grampion' coaches were 12-wheelers introduced in 1903 mainly for Aberdeen services from glasgow and Edinburgh. They also saw limited service on the Glasgow-West of England through service. Seven types were built.

The bodies are based on Caledonian 'Grampion' stock. I seem to recall Triang/Hornby mounted them on BR Mk.I bogies. If to scale length, they would 10¼ inches long in 4mm.

Real 'Grampion' coaches were 12-wheelers introduced in 1903 mainly for Aberdeen services from glasgow and Edinburgh. They also saw limited service on the Glasgow-West of England through service. Seven types were built.

The ones I have seen are part of the Hornby R2806 "The Last Single Wheeler" set. Could you tell me the period that the carriages have been done in?

http://www.ehattons.com/stockdetail.aspx?SID=25711

Garethp8873

They appear to be carrying LMS 1923-28 Period I livery. After 1928 the LMS insignia was moved from the middle of the coach to the left hand end (number at RH end).

On looking at the image of the brake third on Hattons site, it has the correct number of windows and doors and a shortened brake end. You would need to put them against scale drawings to find where the compromises are. Caledonian 6-wheel bogies might be hard to find.

Guest stuartp

As far as the bodysides are concerned, the brake is as near as makes no difference a Caley Grampian Corridor D95a brake composite, and the composite is almost spot on too. There is a little compromise in length and in the panelling right at the ends of the coach due to the limitations of the Tri-ang 'clip together' assembly but not much. However, the roof, chassis, ends and bogies are all pure BR Mk 1. On the plus side, the bodyside moulding is thickened around the waist so is a bit nearer the correct Caley tumblehome rather than the Mk 1's continuous curve.

Caley Coaches used to sell 6 wheel bogies separately but he's not had them in stock for a long time now.

I have one of these to do in BR crimson and cream which they just survived long enough to carry. I'll only be using the sides and floorplan off the Tri-ang coach though, the rest will be scratchbuilt. It should be on the workbench next after I finish all the NPCSS currently cluttering it up.

Tri-ang side against an Ian R Smith drawing:

post-270-0-31870900-1308856919_thumb.jpg

If all there is to use are the coach sides, one may as well start off with etched sides and make an accurate model. But then one is stuck for accurate ends, chassis, turnbuckle trussing and bogies. The finally there is no extruded roof available to suit the Grampion profile. Not an easy call.

Guest stuartp

True, the sensible option would be to buy the Caley Coaches kit. But this way the only cost is wheels and a few detail fittings, and it's still the same coach I've had since I was six (sort of). I'm going to have to build the wretched thing now aren't I !

Guest Belgian

From what I recall, they were supposedly representative of a pair of Grampian stock which were preserved and repainted into Caledonian colours in the late 1950s to run with the restored Caley Single at the time. They appeared on a number of railtours at that time, notably at the head of a train hauled around the Scottish lines in (I think) 1960 by the Jones Goods, the Caley Single, Glen Douglas and Gordon Highlander.

Does anyone know what became of them?

JE

Guest stuartp
Does anyone know what became of them?

They're 57 footers now in the care of SRPS (I think). They share the same style of panelling as the Grampians though* so I can see why Tri-ang picked the Grampian layout for their longer Mk1 chassis. I did buy the Caley Coaches kits for those, and very nice kits they are too. One day I'll pluck up the courage to paint them.

[*Edit - although the Grampians are fully panelled whereas the later 57' coaches have plain sheeting above the windows with the panelling painted on].

Archived