Detailing a few RTP vehicles

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

First off is an Oxford BR Scammell Mechanical Horse. I don't know what the prototype looks like as I haven't managed to find a photo of it, I have no idea where it was based either, I liked it so bought it.

Added details (from photos of other MH's) are :- door mirror, new steps, new front bumper (fret waste), headlight (plastic sprue, shaped with a silver painted and 'Cristal Clear' lens), starting handle and a bit of weathering. All finished off with a blast of matt varnish.

post-7104-0-07264100-1310835893_thumb.jpg

Cruel close up of the front end.

post-7104-0-19856600-1310835897_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

Good stuff Paul

I dont know if you want to try this but I always glue the wheels up solid then rub the tyres on sandpaper to flatten off the bottoms a bit. I think it makes them "sit" a bit better.

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jim, I might try that, I've been trying to get the rear wheels off as the axle is about 2mm too long (pushed over for the photo), they won't budge. I may have to cut the axle in the middle to get it off as I don't want to drill the rivets out if I don't have to.

Paul

JXA495 dates from about March 1949. A photo appears in the Trans Pennine Publications, Mechanical Horses book. The model is just the standard horse with a different body.

The actual thing had a sliding cab door on the driver's side only. The cab being of Swindon build. Rear wheels were doubles, and a lot smaller than the model, scope for further mods maybe.

In the book the allocations are possibly London, Birmingham and Bristol areas of the Western Region. As I only have proof of one being built, I cannot tell if that means it moved about or that there were more than one.

Agree with Jim about flattening the tyres a bit, looks much better on a layout against in a glass case.

Merf.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Arthur, you're right it doesn't look too cruel!

Merf, Thanks for the info, shame it's a Western region one, perhaps the North Eastern borrowed it for a while in 1955... rolleyes.gif I did think the rear wheels were more like 6 ton ones, the badge on the front does show it as 3 ton, anyway, it'll be staying as it is, just too much hassle to change all that.

Jim, I've successfully removed the rear wheels, cut the axle to do it, moved them in, glued them solid and rubbed it on coarse emery paper and it's made all the difference.

post-7104-0-85075700-1310845994_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Great work. The headlight looks so good like that, are you tempted to do the same with the sidelights- a little drill-out and a blob of C-C perhaps.

A seperate windscreen wiper might be worthwhile too.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Exactly one year after I started this thread, vehicle number two...

Backdated Trident.

The Base Toys Thornycroft Trident is a nice model but it is a bit late for me, it seems to be a late 50's model. Studying photos I decided that it wouldn't be too difficult to backdate it to an earlier version.

Base Toys Trident.

The main problem was the windscreen - the later version had 'wrap round' windscreens where the earlier version had corner pillars, also the early one did not have indicators on the cab sides.

1955 Trident.

The corner pillars were added using microstrip and the corners filled with 'Squadron White Putty' filler and filed smooth.

post-7104-0-04241900-1342475030.jpg

Indicators were removed before painting.

post-7104-0-09505300-1342475049.jpg

Bumper and grill surround painted and mirrors added (Langley etch), the reg number is wrong but it the printed one looks better than anything I could do.

post-7104-0-91298200-1342475059.jpg

Pretty much finished now, it's had the wheels superglued solid and a flat filed and it's had a waft over with matt varnish it now just needs weathering and glazing

post-7104-0-54798800-1342475071.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

And another, actually finished before the Trident was started, a Series 1 Landrover from Oxford, it came with a cover over the rear which was removed and plank scribed plasticard added to the floor and seats/wheel arches. It also had the windscreen laid down and this was re fitted up. other modifications were to drill out the grille where the headlights are, add a front bumper and a bit of wire for an exhaust pipe.

I've added a load of fence posts, from cocktail sticks and big hammer from the Cooper Craft p/way set.

(The reg number is wrong, UVN 806 was a series II van that my granddad used to drive)

post-7104-0-58231300-1344278491.jpg

post-7104-0-79576700-1344278501.jpg

post-7104-0-89444200-1344278507.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments.

A few cars, suitable for a mid 1950's layout, usually dotted about on Greyscroft Mine, a couple of them with turned wheels!

These have been weathered and finished with Humbrol aerosol matt varnish.

Oxford Morris Six.

post-7104-0-46180800-1344554050.jpg

A couple of Classix Vauxhall 10-4s, I may do something about the glazing in these, they don't look too good in the photos.

post-7104-0-58522500-1344554060.jpg

post-7104-0-22950100-1344554069.jpg

Archived