Corrugated sheeting

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for N gauge / 2mm scale corrugated sheeting?

Ideally I'm looking for something as close to scale as possible to re-create this shed and some roofing on the buildings next to it.

RopleyJuly2011-030b.jpg

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for N gauge / 2mm scale corrugated sheeting?

Ideally I'm looking for something as close to scale as possible to re-create this shed and some roofing on the buildings next to it.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

I use a coffe pot lid which has surrations around the edge which are just the right pitch. You may have to look around in the supermarket as I can't remember what brand. I cut heavy gauge kitchen foil into 16mm wide strips, tape it to the lid and scribe away. Once I have a strip I cut it into 8mm wide pieces giving me scale 8'x4' sheets. These are glued to a plasticard carcase with superglue.

Results can be seen on the roof of the screens at Highbury

post-1074-0-57914300-1311100911_thumb.jpg

Jerry

http://www.jerrycliffordmodels.co.uk/

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jerry.

That's a really nice effect, just what I'm looking for. I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I'm in Tescos!

Karl - I had looked at the Ratio stuff but it's a little on the thick side and it has joins moulded into it which I don't need! Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Has anyone tried the builders in scale sheets?

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/parts-metal.html

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom

I've used Evergreen N scale car siding for corrugated iron in N gauge. It's a lot finer than the Ratio stuff, which is more like the industril 'Big 6' sheeting.

I'll see if I can find some pics and post them.

Cheerio

Dave

Hi Tom,

I use a coffe pot lid which has surrations around the edge which are just the right pitch. You may have to look around in the supermarket as I can't remember what brand. I cut heavy gauge kitchen foil into 16mm wide strips, tape it to the lid and scribe away. Once I have a strip I cut it into 8mm wide pieces giving me scale 8'x4' sheets. These are glued to a plasticard carcase with superglue.

Results can be seen on the roof of the screens at Highbury

post-1074-0-57914300-1311100911_thumb.jpg

Jerry

http://www.jerrycliffordmodels.co.uk/

Excellent result Jerry!

Ant

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom,

As with Dave, I have used the evergreen sheeting (metal siding) which is nice stuff to work with.

My cladding at Moorswater dries uses this...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave & Pete.

Thanks for the info about the Evergreen sheet. I'll have to see if I can pick some up to experiment with!

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I would support the suggestion of using the Evergreen sheet for corrugated iron and asbestos. I used it for the roof of my goods shed and provender store for a planned 2mm model of Dulverton. Hhere is a link to the topic on the old RM Web where there are some pictures:

My link

The Evergreen product comes in very large sheets, big enough for anything in 2mm scale I think, and can be filed down very thin at the edges. The Ratio sheets are very thick and the corrugations are overscale.

Douglas

I'm in a similar situation to Tom.

Can anyone recommend a suitable groove spacing which will be suitable for n gauge? Would 0.75mm or 1.0mm be the most suitable? I've posted a link below which goes to the relevant page on evergreen's site. The corrugated stuff is labelled as 'corrugated metal siding - towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.evergreenscalemodels.com/Sheets.htm#Corrugated%20Metal%20Siding

Cheers,

Can anyone recommend a suitable groove spacing which will be suitable for n gauge? Would 0.75mm or 1.0mm be the most suitable?

Hi,

I use the Evergreen Metal Siding 0.030" spacing (0.75mm), Item No. 4525 for 2mm scale corrugated iron and asbestos. This looks about right comparing with photos of the real buildings. I reckon the 1mm size would be overscale (like the Ratio sheets).

Also useful for 2mm scale buildings are Passenger Car S Scale 2-1/4" spacing, which makes good planking for doors etc, and the various sizes of clapboard, 0.030", 0.040" and 0.050" spacing, which I have used to model lineside sheds and the like.

Douglas

• 4 months later...

Can anyone recommend a suitable groove spacing which will be suitable for n gauge? Would 0.75mm or 1.0mm be the most suitable? I've posted a link below which goes to the relevant page on evergreen's site. The corrugated stuff is labelled as 'corrugated metal siding - towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.evergreen...0Metal%20Siding

Cheers,

Corrugated steel, asbestos or compressed cement sheets are 3", so that is .5mm but .75mm would probably look OK. The industrial stuff is called Big 6 which is 6" corrugations so Evergreen 1mm would be good for that.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I use the Evergreen Metal Siding 0.030" spacing (0.75mm), Item No. 4525 for 2mm scale corrugated iron and asbestos. This looks about right comparing with photos of the real buildings. I reckon the 1mm size would be overscale (like the Ratio sheets).

Also useful for 2mm scale buildings are Passenger Car S Scale 2-1/4" spacing, which makes good planking for doors etc, and the various sizes of clapboard, 0.030", 0.040" and 0.050" spacing, which I have used to model lineside sheds and the like.

Douglas

Thanks for all this great information. New to railway modelling but have used slaters 2mm corrugated to build this, my first ever building, engine shed, very much work in progress.

Thanks again

Alix

post-26103-0-99303400-1429872257_thumb.jpg

Archived