Aldersgate buildings

I was asked on my Aldersgate threat about the techniques which I have used for building. I am very old school and for most of the RMWebbers the following will be “teaching grandmother to such eggsâ€. Nevertheless I am always interested in others’ methods so here are mine using scalescenes brick paper, card and foam board to give a representation of a GER retaining wall.

I use a photocopier to ensure near perfect symmetry and because I am lazy at times. I also apply the brick paper in sections so that I can keep sight of the original drawing and guidelines.

Andrew

post-6781-0-33901900-1313058144_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-67419400-1313058166_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-02623900-1313058183_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-48058400-1313058196_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-04607600-1313058209_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-44060000-1313058222_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-03329900-1313058238_thumb.jpg

post-6781-0-11345200-1313058256_thumb.jpg

That is nice work, George. I'd have been tempted, given the degree of repetition and the standard of your work to have made up the first overlay for the three arches, with arch tops [prior to cutting out the 'middles'], scanned it and used that as a 'master' overlay.

I prefer the phrase 'economical of effort' to your 'lazy'! Why pedal downhill?

Best wishes,

Doug

Hi Andrew.

Those walls look great.What thickness of foam board & card do you use ?

Hi Tony,

I used 3mm as a base and for the brick columns and some 5mm to get the depth for the two odd arches which are in the lighter brick. The brick "framing" at the top of the structure is from some 1-1.5mm card.

Regards

Andrew

Hi Tony,

I used 3mm as a base and for the brick columns and some 5mm to get the depth for the two odd arches which are in the lighter brick. The brick "framing" at the top of the structure is from some 1-1.5mm card.

Regards

Andrew

Cheers Andrew.Looking good.

George, I was wondering what glue you use to stick the drawings and Scalescenes sheets to the foamboard, or have you printed them on self-adhesive paper?

Thanks,

Paul

I follow the recommendation on the scalescenes.com Construction tips section to use "glue stick", e.g., Pritt Stick. I found some 10-packs of genuine Pritt in the £1 shop. The rubber roller is the real trick though. I "borrow" my wife's lino ink roller, it gets rid of bubbles and creases in a jiffy! They're very cheap, usually about a fiver. I tried various consistencies of PVA glue but the water content always made the paper wrinkle.

mounting.gif

Mounting
For mounting large areas, as unlikely as it seems we have found the best option by far is the humble glue stick (we use UHU).
As long the backing card is given a generous but even coat of glue, not only do glue sticks not wrinkle or bubble, but the sheet can also be repositioned and smoothed for several minutes after application. We have also found the adhesive to have excellent longevity.
Use a rubber roller or squeegee to ensure good adhesion to the card. An even all over coverage will avoid bubbles.

Oh, that is nice work!

Out of curiosity, which brick colours/sheets have you used, and how did you do the top capping?

Regards,

Peter & Seth

Hi

It's the dark brown brick sheets with some regular brown in the two "non matching" arches. The coping stones are just some 3mm (I think) card from the scraps box painted with stone colour matt enamel paint.

You are spot on re the glue: prit stick or similar!

Andrew

• 5 months later...

<p align="left" dir="ltr"><span lang="EN-GB">Evening, </span></p>

<p align="left" dir="ltr"><span lang="EN-GB">Forgive my questions, I'm literally just starting out in card modelling. Is this particular model/design a scratch design by yourself, as it doesn’t look the same as the one on the Scalescenes site? Also did you alter an existing one or is it totally from scratch? using plain brick paper sheets? Also to build the depth of levels, do you warp the brick paper around the card and then glue the next level (also with the paper glued and wrapped around the card) on top of the lower level? </span></p>

<p align="left" dir="ltr"><span lang="EN-GB">Evening, </span></p>

<p align="left" dir="ltr"><span lang="EN-GB">

Forgive my questions, I'm literally just starting out in card modelling.

No problem, that's what this site is for. I have learned enormous amounts from others here!

Is this particular model/design a scratch design by yourself, as it doesn’t look the same as the one on the Scalescenes site? Also did you alter an existing one or is it totally from scratch? using plain brick paper sheets?

It's totally from scratch. The sketches which you can see in the story above are my own and built up with photcopies. I use the scalescenes brickpaper in general. I have also used the arch kit when I want to do something quick or more hidden. They are excellent kits in my view. You should try the kits first before trying something from scratch.

Also to build the depth of levels, do you warp the brick paper around the card and then glue the next level (also with the paper glued and wrapped around the card) on top of the lower level? </span></p>

Yes the paper is wrapped and passed through the cut out arches etc. Make sure all the edges are crisp and sharp. Look at my other thread in this forum Aldersgate Buildings 2 and you will see more of this.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything else!

Andrew

Archived