tartan arrow parcel vans use and dates

jbqfc

OTTOMH, express parcels in a 'company' train from London to Scotland, possibly running via the Midland and S&C. Service introduced around 1967, not sure when it lapsed but I'd guess around 1970. I saw one of the vans still carrying its livery in ordinary parcels use in 1972

interesting topic, my 1974/75 Pancras - Wellinboro has 4S53 1911 Carlton Rd sdgs - Glasgow Bridgton via Luton runnin in D750 times with a tartan arrow freightliner branding by then. Always a 47 on 4S53 as many peaks were still vb

sample viewing 310773 1616 4M50 up tartan arrow , 1618 4S53 170773 , both at Luton

The tartan arrow livery lives on at the Great Central on a parcels vehicle at Rothley

hope this helps

nross,

www.leightonlogs.org.

• RMweb Gold

I remember seeing them from the platforms at Manchester Piccadilly sometime between 1968 and 1972 when I was a student there. I cannot remember for certain whether they were in a train going through to or from the Oxford Road direction or if they were (and I think this is more likely) in the old Mayfield station which was then used for parcels traffic.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I'm sure the last time I saw one of the Tartan Arrow CCT's was at Bolton?

Just have a visual memory of seeing one whilct on the way to either Bolton Exhibition or Flea Market on a Saturday.

Certain there was one in the parcel dock for mail order parcels use - Bolton - That was Empire Stores if I remember correctly?

Thanks

Guest Max Stafford

I remember the old goods depot at Dalmarnock still having Tartan Arrow branding and a container crane in 1974.

Dave.

Archived